Wiki Posts
Search

Flywheel Alum vs. Steel??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Flywheel Alum vs. Steel??

I am installing a new flywheel in my Losi 8T 2.0 and I was wondering what the advantages and/ or dis advantages are for an alum vs. steel flywheel. The steel flywheel does weigh 2x as much as the alum one. Any comments? Here are the 2 flywheels. Thanks

Steel flywheel

Alum Flywheel
Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

IMO the only advantages and disadvantages are weight and durability, the only other thing is the steel one might be a little more true and more ballanced.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The steel flywheel will tame down the bottom end of an engine. It is useful if you have a really punchy engine, or race on really loose surfaces. It will also hold up better than the aluminum one obviously because it is steel.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also, if you have a motor with a lot of pinch the steel flywheel is easier on your starter box wheel cause it has a wider contact area. It also helps smooth out your idle and reduce flame outs at idle due to a little more weight inertia.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Go Steel Frank.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Lord

With all the rave about lightening the out drives, drilling out the spur gear and light weight axles and hubs it just seems weird and out of date to make the fly wheel heavier. I am looking for more torque from my GRP's I dont want to take torque away? Will it do that? I don't know anyone with actual experience. Does it actually prevent flame outs? Will it decrease amount of torque on tap? What are the pros and cons you have experienced?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
With all the rave about lightening the out drives, drilling out the spur gear and light weight axles and hubs it just seems weird and out of date to make the fly wheel heavier. I am looking for more torque from my GRP's I dont want to take torque away? Will it do that? I don't know anyone with actual experience. Does it actually prevent flame outs? Will it decrease amount of torque on tap? What are the pros and cons you have experienced?
It WILL tame the bottom end. If you are looking for more torque the steel flywheel is the opposite of what you want. It will smooth out idle and could help prevent flame outs, but at the cost of bottom end snap. It is just like you said. all the lightened driveline parts will help spool up/snap, and the steel flywheel does the opposite. I can really only see using it on a brutal bottom end type engine, or is slick conditions.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
It WILL tame the bottom end. If you are looking for more torque the steel flywheel is the opposite of what you want. It will smooth out idle and could help prevent flame outs, but at the cost of bottom end snap. It is just like you said. all the lightened driveline parts will help spool up/snap, and the steel flywheel does the opposite. I can really only see using it on a brutal bottom end type engine, or is slick conditions.
Thats what I was thinking. I might try it on the modded GRP .28 that sounds like a good candidate for a steel fly wheel.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L
Thats what I was thinking. I might try it on the modded GRP .28 that sounds like a good candidate for a steel fly wheel.

power house .21 ain't enough on bottom ?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Integra
power house .21 ain't enough on bottom ?
You have to remember it's a GRP. They are always soft on the bottom.

Frank- yeah a modded .28 would definatelty be a good candidate for the steel flywheel.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

some good info guys..thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I would say try it you will like it! You notice the difference alot more on a buggy vs. a truggy. Definately improves idle and smoothes out the bottom a little. I run them in both my buggy and truggy. 8ight(s)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (99%+)

I made one several years back but it ended up being to heavy for my likes. ( hind site I'd do new ones on a haas mill and make a little lighter) so I chucked it in the desk does any one know what this one weighs ? also how deep is the knurling on it ? & I had a problem with one of the shoe pins. when we knurled mine I didn't get real deep knurling on mine and it didn't last to long in that area. got a PN on this one? I'd like to try another one.