cold weather states

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cold weather states

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Location: movin to the big time. on my way to the bay next week!
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default cold weather states

has anyone in the northern region tried 1/8 scale racing on ice such as a frozen over lake or something like that. i live in Cali, so no frozen lakes, but my city does have a public ice skating rink, and they are trying to put together and ice oval racing club. i was just wondering from your guys' experience what you do for tires to race on something like this. thanks for your imput
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The freezing weather will mean a real tough time tuning your engine. Be prepared to get no more than a few gallons or less out of any mill. You definately will need to preheat to start it. you may also want to water proof your electronics..sure sounds like fun though..post up pics of the tires with ice spikes sticking out of them, unless you plan on just doing 360's
Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

An indoor rink won't be that cold... you may have to put some foil on the head maybe... Up here in Alaska we squeeze every weekend we can out of our short summers so I've ran in as cold as 45 degrees; maybe colder. Never did the ice racing even though we had pondered it a few times (electric, not nitro). Gonna need some very short screws I'd imagine.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Location: movin to the big time. on my way to the bay next week!
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

its not too cold inside the ice rink. the ice itself is cold obviously but the rink ambient temp is about 55-60 degrees. i ran it last weekend with staples through the tires. it worked good at first, but after a few minutes the car was just sliding all over the place. i pulled it off to take a look at the tires and the weakness of the staples just made them fold right over on themselves. i think this week i am going to unglue them and try something different. i think i am going to try carpet tacks through the rubber and try that. i also back the inside of the staples in between the rubber and foam with soft cardboard so that the staples wouldnt push into the foams
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i know a guy who put short scews with washer through the inside so the points were out then took a car innertube and glued it around the inside to cover the heads of the screws he used them on his MT om the lake and it worked good enough to pull wheelies and if you wrap the head in foil it should stay around 220 atleast that what mine ran in 15 deg but like it was stated it might not be the best for your motor i was just running a old force .28 i pulled from my old jammin rtr truggy
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ice Tires

plain old self taping metal screw's....and alot of em.....ive done it both way and from the inside give's more bite obviously but the tip's wont last that long...both ways work just fine...predrill with a 1/16 bit and screw em in.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Digging up an oldie here...

Integra-- thanks for the idea--

My buddys Lake is frozen & I'm dying to get out on it.

Has anyone made skates/blades for the front? it seems steering will be as issue as well... (mine is 2wd)
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

As an Ice Hockey Player. indoor rinks are cold, off ice is no more than 50 degrees. on ice its 25 degress colder. and your taking bout on ice is freezing level and the cars are on that level. So its is not a good idea unless you can afford to buy a new engine after bout a gallon of fuel
Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Not even the Trumpster could pay me to marshall...nuff said
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

when I run my stuff outside I run a old sock around the engine and double up on the pre-filter. Also sheet metal screws are great as are the flat push tack's with hard foam inserts. I run the screws on nitro and push tack's on electric.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did it with my 8ight E. It was a blast! Here are a few pics. The vids kinda suck cz I was alone but it would be fun to have a few buggies out there.

Vids

Crappy hand held vid

Cam on the ground

Cam taped to shovel

This is the vid that got me hooked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO-AFe5JtLs

Nitro out side ice racing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbtf9...eature=related
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by token
As an Ice Hockey Player. indoor rinks are cold, off ice is no more than 50 degrees. on ice its 25 degress colder. and your taking bout on ice is freezing level and the cars are on that level. So its is not a good idea unless you can afford to buy a new engine after bout a gallon of fuel
no, we run all winter long indoor. the pits are heated but i can tell you the track sure as heck aint! no problems with motors.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

dont use screws with the points sticking out, use your head. not safe!
if you want to ice race then use sheet metal screws in your tires. ive ice raced motorcycles alot and we used 2 kinds of screws. the ones integra used are just cheap ones you can get at the hardware store, which are fine if you are just playing. the gold screws we used had a slot down the center of the head and the outer edge was lipped for max bite and you tuned the slot direction for forward/side bite. the other screws had a v shape to the head and you could resharpen the edges as they wore down and again you could face the slot to get forward or side bite.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

i just looked and you can get 250 kold cutters for like $16 bucks from magic racing. maybe look at a solid foam tire to screw into? we used a tire liner to screw into and to protect the inner tube on the motorcycles.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

oh and those little screws were plenty of traction on ice to race xr750 Harleys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.