Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8T diff question grease/fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Losi 8T diff question grease/fluid

Hi, I am going to change the grease out for fluid. My question is, when I change to fluid, what will I feel that is different? I heard that grease is comparable to 2000 wt fluid. Is this true?
Now if I go to 10,000 in the center, will I notice more bottom punch than when I had the grease in there? Thanks for any clarification here.
Rob.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Bump
Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

I have never ran one with the grease so I don't know what the characteristics of it are with only the grease. but, I can assume that as the grease is flung to the outer sides of the diff case, it would be like a light fluid. Diff lube will keep your diffs lubricated better - so that is a huge plus Also, you can tune the handling characteristics with the different weights of diff oil. For example, with the grease, I would guess that on the throttle hard, the front tires would balloon like crazy as the rear tires received the trasferred weight of the truck. The light grease in the center diff wouldn't send much power to the rear because they were planted, but instead would send the power to the lighter front tires. A heavier diff lube, like 10,000, will not allow the center diff to act that way. The rear will get some good power and they will be planted on the ground and the truck will accelerate well with all four corners getting good power.

Not sure if I explained that well enough, but the handling of the vehicle can be greatly altered by diff fluid weight. (among many, many other adjustments) I recomend going with the Race Roller standard setup on your truck.

Good info here: http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodId=LOSA0802

Go into this file and scroll to page 10 will contain the standard setup: http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/8T-part4.pdf

And read the setup info starting on page 7 in that same file like 5 times...

FWIW, I run 3,000 in the rear diff, and 3 degrees of rear toe and adjust as needed from there.

Have fun!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default I changed

Originally Posted by broke it again
Hi, I am going to change the grease out for fluid. My question is, when I change to fluid, what will I feel that is different? I heard that grease is comparable to 2000 wt fluid. Is this true?
Now if I go to 10,000 in the center, will I notice more bottom punch than when I had the grease in there? Thanks for any clarification here.
Rob.
I am running 7000 in the center, 5000 in the front and 2000 in the rear. I like to power through the corners unlike my son who likes to slide or drift through then punch it. My setup lets the front grab a little quicker than the rear to pull me through the turn. The 7000 grabs pretty quick but not so quick that it breaks traction and spins. I think that how you have your clutch set up makes a difference too. I have two composite shoes with silver springs and two hardened aluminum shoes with gold springs. It grabs a little more gradually than an all aluminum set-up. I have a tendency to drive using the throttle like an on & off switch. By setting it up like this I am able to accelerate without breaking traction and spinning my wheels so much. With grease I spun a lot. I changed to synthetic after about 1 gallon of fuel. made a world of difference! I am trying to change my driving style (fuel consumption sucks!) but until then this works pretty good for me.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

10k front - 10k center - 5k rear - more rear break than front - 3de toe in rear
4 dynamite max life clutch shoes and sliver springs................ I like to control the turns more than pushing through them.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default 4 Aluminum?

Originally Posted by token
10k front - 10k center - 5k rear - more rear break than front - 3de toe in rear
4 dynamite max life clutch shoes and sliver springs................ I like to control the turns more than pushing through them.
Have you run a setup like mine and do you like your setup better? I was considering going with that but wasnt sure. I drive kinda agressive (NTTAWWT)
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jkas10
I have never ran one with the grease so I don't know what the characteristics of it are with only the grease. but, I can assume that as the grease is flung to the outer sides of the diff case, it would be like a light fluid. Diff lube will keep your diffs lubricated better - so that is a huge plus Also, you can tune the handling characteristics with the different weights of diff oil. For example, with the grease, I would guess that on the throttle hard, the front tires would balloon like crazy as the rear tires received the trasferred weight of the truck. The light grease in the center diff wouldn't send much power to the rear because they were planted, but instead would send the power to the lighter front tires. A heavier diff lube, like 10,000, will not allow the center diff to act that way. The rear will get some good power and they will be planted on the ground and the truck will accelerate well with all four corners getting good power.

Not sure if I explained that well enough, but the handling of the vehicle can be greatly altered by diff fluid weight. (among many, many other adjustments) I recomend going with the Race Roller standard setup on your truck.

Good info here: http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodId=LOSA0802

Go into this file and scroll to page 10 will contain the standard setup: http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/8T-part4.pdf

And read the setup info starting on page 7 in that same file like 5 times...

FWIW, I run 3,000 in the rear diff, and 3 degrees of rear toe and adjust as needed from there.

Have fun!
Wow, thanks for all the replies, great info. jkas10, I understand exactly what you were sayin g and you are exactly right. The front tires baloon like crazy. Now I know I will not have that issue now that I switched to fluid. I just found out the other day that the Losi 8T came with grease, not fluid. I am just getting into racing.
I have bashed for 10 years and now its time to step it up. I am thinking about running a 15000 in the center. My thoughts are that I am not very good at racing yet so I will need all the punch I can get when I come slopping through the turns so I can catch up a little.Thanks again for all the help and links.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any reason why I shouldnt go 15000? I know alot of people are running 10000 but someone on here said they did 15000 in the center and it gave them better takeoff.