R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What foam filter treatment (oil) do you use? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/289601-what-foam-filter-treatment-oil-do-you-use.html)

Larks 04-12-2009 08:54 PM

What foam filter treatment (oil) do you use?

I am looking for a cheaper alternative to the various 'r/c' brand tiny bottles of filter oil. Basically, those things are a rip off I know. I am sure that a good quality dirt bike air filter oil will work, like FFT Foam Filter Treatment, but I am not sure I like the idea of cleaning the filters in gasoline to get that stuff out. (yes I reuse my outers)

Anyone have experience with using other cost effective oils? Anyone have bad experiences with that?

BH 04-12-2009 08:56 PM

Larks, if you are going to be cleaning and re-using you might want to look into something that will clean with water like TKO's Rock Oil

www.tkocompetitiondev.com Peter is a great guy to deal with.

I've also used No-Toil with success as well.

Alan D. 04-12-2009 08:59 PM

Maxima air filter cleaner and air filter oil.
DIALED!

Larks 04-12-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BH (Post 5676359)
Larks, if you are going to be cleaning and re-using you might want to look into something that will clean with water like TKO's Rock Oil

www.tkocompetitiondev.com Peter is a great guy to deal with.

I've also used No-Toil with success as well.

Yah, I saw that and was interested. I did read that the one negative is that it expands rubber. That would really irritate me if enough got on my elbow to make it release from the carb!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I am considering ordering some if they ever get some in stock.

Larks 04-12-2009 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alan D. (Post 5676381)
Maxima air filter cleaner and air filter oil.
DIALED!

I have been using the oil, and OMG that stuff is sticky. I don't like it much because it is so messy. It also seems to 'cake' with the dust we have. After about 3-4 mins I need to pit just to change the thing. I didn't know they made a cleaner for it, that would help I suppose, however I am trying to find things that are easier on the environment, yet still work adequately.

Alan D. 04-12-2009 09:13 PM

With dust its always going to cake no matter what.
Sticky is good. Means nothing is going to get into your engine.

maxxman101 04-12-2009 09:13 PM

I use K&N air filter oil and cleaner. can get it for like $18 for the set at schucks or napa.

BH 04-12-2009 09:14 PM

Larks, I haven't ran into that issue with the rock oil. It will swell some filter elements at first, but once the alcohol has evaporated off the filter returns to it's original size.

I prefer Rock Oil and No-Toil.

I've used it all, PJ1, Maxima, etc. etc..........

Larks 04-12-2009 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alan D. (Post 5676455)
With dust its always going to cake no matter what.
Sticky is good. Means nothing is going to get into your engine.

Well, I agree mostly, however this stuff turns black and cakes such that very little air gets through. I know sticky helps capture the smaller particles as well but I have used other oils that are not as sticky that seem to still do an adequate filtration job but don't cake. I have to change those after every heat, but my engine doesn't run differently half way through the heat.

Larks 04-12-2009 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BH (Post 5676465)
Larks, I haven't ran into that issue with the rock oil. It will swell some filter elements at first, but once the alcohol has evaporated off the filter returns to it's original size.

I prefer Rock Oil and No-Toil.

I've used it all, PJ1, Maxima, etc. etc..........

Yes, thanks for the link. I might just order some directly from him. Amain is always back ordered.

I will also check into No-Toil.

I used PJ-1 (the spray) in the motorcross days. That stuff was just awesome, but it was at a different scale. I also wasn't concerned about the environment in those days unfortunately.

Peter Martin 04-12-2009 09:46 PM

Rock oil in stock on our site. We have tested it on all the OEM filters and it is just fine.

http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=253

LosiMadMan 04-12-2009 09:48 PM

Rick Brakes custom made sealer and filter oil. RB mods.
www.rbmods.net

Joey Powell 04-12-2009 10:33 PM

Rock oil from TKO all the way. I come from an MX background, and I used to use Bel Ray or PJ1. The Rock oil works just as well but is SOOOO much easier to clean your filter. It doesn't hurt the rubber on the boot at all. It does swell some filters a little, but that doesn't have any ill affects either. Use it. You will love it.

Deznuts05 04-12-2009 10:43 PM

good ole palm olive or any dish soap to clean

and a zip lock back with a healthy coating of after run oil aka "atf" and drop into the zip lock until the white foam turns pink

done!

losi_racer 04-13-2009 12:07 AM

i just buy new filters, i run the same one for two 5 min qualifers, then replace the inner and outter with a new one for the main. i go racin every weekend and this cost me like 6 bucks a month doin it like this. well worth it in my opinion, you dont gotta worry about your filter going bad or having it oiled enough or to much