Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
the parity of race kits >

the parity of race kits

the parity of race kits

Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default the parity of race kits

I have noticed that the top of the line race kits are almost identical. the new xray, losi8, odonnell, associated, mugen mbx6 etc, almost all of them have the same layout with the off center driveshaft, graphite radio tray, shock towers, upper arm plate just about everything seems identical. Since i own a mugen i noticed that the front end is exclusivly mugen (with it's pillow ball set up) I guess it all comes down to the quality of the parts and parts availibility. speaking of quality i am so glad i bought a mugen.

and the new mugen seems to be winning ALOT of races.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
I have noticed that the top of the line race kits are almost identical. the new xray, losi8, odonnell, associated, mugen mbx6 etc, almost all of them have the same layout with the off center driveshaft, graphite radio tray, shock towers, upper arm plate just about everything seems identical. Since i own a mugen i noticed that the front end is exclusivly mugen (with it's pillow ball set up) I guess it all comes down to the quality of the parts and parts availibility. speaking of quality i am so glad i bought a mugen.

and the new mugen seems to be winning ALOT of races.
They may look similar, but if you were to measure all of the geometry, they are quite different for the most part. They all handle very different too.

I am glad you are happy with your Mugen, they are great buggies. I personally like the Losi
Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

which races are those ?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

that is why i am glad i posted this. to get a better idea of what other cars have to offer.

glad you are happy with your losi. Alot of peaple race them here.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C Branch
They may look similar, but if you were to measure all of the geometry, they are quite different for the most part. They all handle very different too.

I am glad you are happy with your Mugen, they are great buggies. I personally like the Losi
Yup very true, well except for the case of losi and xray. Hmmm do I smell copy? lol.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

this is just for instance. don't know how important thease races are but mugen did very wellhttp://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...ic=0&start=820

scroll the full page.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
which races are those ?
These are the latest Mugen wins, haven't checked this weekend for updates,I am sure its more!
2009 BRCA Rallycross Round 1 United Kingdom
2009 Australian 1/8 Off-Road Championships Australia
2009 Malaysia National league Round 1 Malaysia
2009 Victorian 1/8 IC Off-Road Championships
Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

It's kind of limited how many ways you can put engine, electonics, and drivetrain on a chassie plate.
I'm waiting for the Tamiya 801X, since it differes in some degree from the others, drivetrain vise, that is...
Driven Mugen mostly, happy with it as well, but it will be nice to try something different, and with something else than PIVOT-ball front susp.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Yup very true, well except for the case of losi and xray. Hmmm do I smell copy? lol.
i'll agree and disagree, i've owned both cars and wile the 808 is a copy of the 8ight, they drive completly different.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
i'll agree and disagree, i've owned both cars and wile the 808 is a copy of the 8ight, they drive completly different.
Yeah I get that, Just had to say it.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by casevac
...I'm waiting for the Tamiya 801X, since it differes in some degree from the other...
It differs by exactly 15 degrees from the others and 10 degrees from the Hyper 9!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

I'm waiting for the Tamiya 801X, since it differes in some degree from the others, drivetrain vise, that is...
Im waiting for the 801xb also. I think its gonna be a awesome car, as long as the parts are good quality. I dont have any personal experience with Tamiya, so its hard to tell for me. But the drivetrain lay out, the engine angle (hyper 9 has that too) The car just seems like it could be good. Plus Ryan Lutz makes it look freaking bomb.

Price is a little higher than Mugen HB AE, but I think if its a good car it will be worth it. Quality is payed for. Most of the time
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
Im waiting for the 801xb also. I think its gonna be a awesome car, as long as the parts are good quality. I dont have any personal experience with Tamiya, so its hard to tell for me. But the drivetrain lay out, the engine angle (hyper 9 has that too) The car just seems like it could be good. Plus Ryan Lutz makes it look freaking bomb.

Price is a little higher than Mugen HB AE, but I think if its a good car it will be worth it. Quality is payed for. Most of the time
All the other trf products have excellent quality, and I vave nothing but good things to say regarding tamiya plastic.
It might be a little more expensive, but I don't think the rather high suggested retail price will kick in, tamiya is expensive, but not like Kyosho.

Regarding the tilted engine, tamiya has a little different solution compared to the H9, pariculary the throtle/brake link.
Some other changes seem to be an option, just to have something to show - like the alternative battery mount, don't see myselves using that.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Joey Powell
It differs by exactly 15 degrees from the others and 10 degrees from the Hyper 9!
I hope for your sake that your able to see some other differences between the 801x and the H9 than those degrees
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

All the other trf products have excellent quality, and I vave nothing but good things to say regarding tamiya plastic.
It might be a little more expensive, but I don't think the rather high suggested retail price will kick in, tamiya is expensive, but not like Kyosho.

Regarding the tilted engine, tamiya has a little different solution compared to the H9, pariculary the throtle/brake link.
Some other changes seem to be an option, just to have something to show - like the alternative battery mount, don't see myselves using that.
I really like the way they did the brake linkage. Its so much simpler. And the angled servo is pretty cool way to get everything to work with the tilted engine. And my on roader buddy also said there plastic is really good. With my driving style thats a good thing. And the front rx pack is a great thing to have as a tuning aid, I like a lot of steering so I may just give it a whirl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.