R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Byron's 30% Pro Driver

I have recently been using Losi Nitrotane 20% Race in my Mach 427. I ran out, and the track only carries Byron's. So i was told they carry 20%, they said all they have is 30%. I thought it was Race, but when he got it it said Pro driver, 9% oil in it. I ran one tank, and I have to say it is too much power! Temps were low though, but I dont want to richen up my engine and lose my fuel economy just because I cant control it. My dx2.0 does not have a feature to smooth out the throttle response. Any suggestions? I also do not feel safe with 9% oil. I ran a quart of Trinity Platinum 20% (8% oil) and was to scared to lean it out. Could I put more engine shims to reduce the power or what? Any way of adding more oil? I would like to have around 10-12%, as I am just a club racer who needs driving skill rather than a powerful engine. Thanks!

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

You can try adjusting your endpoint on the radio so the carb does not open all the way, that should also improve your run times. The 9% oil is OK as long as your tune is good.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
You can try adjusting your endpoint on the radio so the carb does not open all the way, that should also improve your run times. The 9% oil is OK as long as your tune is good.
Its mostly my bottom end. The 427 has enough bottom as it is and it just makes it uncontrollable and very sensetive to any slight reactions in the throttle. I am a smooth driver, I just feel I am overpowered with this fuel. That is the thing, I am just an ok tuner. I usually have to ask the experienced guys at the track for help tuning but they always wont be there.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Your lhs only carries 30% fuel? Worst comes to worst u have to buy some offline. I know the hazmat fees will kill you but its better than not running what you like. If you want to stick with this fuel you probably could mess with the gearing on your car. I dont really know what does what in gearing but correct me if im wrong you coould get a higher toothed clutch bell for it which would make it les snappy.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR

The Byrons Pro-Driver 30% is actually my fuel of choice.

The oil content is really nothing to worry about... This fuel is the bomb!

As long as you've got a trail of smoke you're safe... Too much oil is actually a bad thing. It's hard on rods and crank pins.

The Byrons offers Good lubrication... Cool Temps... Easy to tune.... It's just a great fuel!

As for your question... I would say that adjusting your EPA is gonna be about your only option.

I wouldn't go adding shims unless it was your last option.
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
Your lhs only carries 30% fuel? Worst comes to worst u have to buy some offline. I know the hazmat fees will kill you but its better than not running what you like. If you want to stick with this fuel you probably could mess with the gearing on your car. I dont really know what does what in gearing but correct me if im wrong you coould get a higher toothed clutch bell for it which would make it les snappy.
Well i dont really know what my LHS carries. One of my friends got a Muggy and went into the shop and he came out with ODonnell 20% Race, which they normally only have Traxxas. I really havent even been in there in like 8 months. I just got fed up with them. You mean ONline.... I really liked Nitrotane, but it seems to run a little hot. So 30% Nitrotane? There is a LHS about 1 1/2 hours away that carries 20% Nitrotane, but I kinda want 30% seeing how much performance increase and cooling it gives, with still 10-11% oil. Come to think of it, I stripped a clutch bell when my motor mount screws came out. That was a 14t, someone at the track had a 13t, and my lap times were actually faster. Also, higher gearing heats the engine up more. And the track layout for the next big race is very techinal. Im thinking about just going to all green/maxlife shoes. Right now I have green/gold maxlife.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

oh ya softer springs should help.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Don't be worried about the lower oil percentage. They use less oil because they use a higher percent of Castor oil (50/50 Castor/Synthetic blend) and a higher quality Castor so the lubrication is actually better than most fuels with a higher % content.

I use the pro driver fuel and have had no issues at all.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you should try making your clutch softer. lessen the initial impact
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
you should try making your clutch softer. lessen the initial impact
2nd that. If your using alum. shoes then switch to carbon shoes.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Chris RC, There are several things you can do to control the added power.

A. adjust your radio's throttle exponential.
B. adjust your EPA setting.
C. Gear up the CB or spur gear.
D. Switch clutch spring (go lighter)
E. Add a smaller carb restrictor.

If you have found a fuel that makes your engine run cooler and have more power. You just found the holy grail of fuels stay with it! Thats what everyone is looking for and you've found it!!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Chris RC, There are several things you can do to control the added power.

A. adjust your radio's throttle exponential.
B. adjust your EPA setting.
C. Gear up the CB or spur gear.
D. Switch clutch spring (go lighter)
E. Add a smaller carb restrictor.

If you have found a fuel that makes your engine run cooler and have more power. You just found the holy grail of fuels stay with it! Thats what everyone is looking for and you've found it!!!!
A. My dx2.0 does not have expo.
B. I will do that, but our track is going to have a new layout for our next big race and its going to have a really long straight.
C. I actually stripped my 14t and someone gave me a 13t and my laps were actually faster and felt better.
D. Right now I have MaxLife, and green and gold springs. Im goign to go down to all green sprigns next time.
E. As a matter of fact, the 427 does not accept a smaller venturi.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
I have recently been using Losi Nitrotane 20% Race in my Mach 427. I ran out, and the track only carries Byron's. So i was told they carry 20%, they said all they have is 30%. I thought it was Race, but when he got it it said Pro driver, 9% oil in it. I ran one tank, and I have to say it is too much power! Temps were low though, but I dont want to richen up my engine and lose my fuel economy just because I cant control it. My dx2.0 does not have a feature to smooth out the throttle response. Any suggestions? I also do not feel safe with 9% oil. I ran a quart of Trinity Platinum 20% (8% oil) and was to scared to lean it out. Could I put more engine shims to reduce the power or what? Any way of adding more oil? I would like to have around 10-12%, as I am just a club racer who needs driving skill rather than a powerful engine. Thanks!
just run that gallon out or buy the rtr blend and mix em
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
just run that gallon out or buy the rtr blend and mix em
Someone actually had Byron 20% RTR at it had 18% oil! That would combine to about 13% oil, a little overboard. This gallon will be used for a big race so I cant just run out of fuel just to run out, as I am on an extreme budget. So besides clutch setup, I was looking at pipe header. I just have the round header that came with my JP-3. WHat do the square headers to anyway? Im looking for some more top end/controllable power.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Tech Master

I am making an order on amain, and was wondering what else to get. Should I get 1 or 2 pairs of carbon shoes? If I get all carbon, will they wear out fast? I really like the longevity of the Max-Life shoes, and if the carbons dont last that long.....ill think of that later. I am going to use green springs all around, so should just 1 set of carbon be good? Anything else I should buy...thats not too expensive?