Wiki Posts
Search

Hyper 7 - Am I wasting my time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Hyper 7 - Am I wasting my time?

I got into 8th buggies with a Hyper 7 RTR. I've tweaked the setup and upgraded the electronics (5 cell pack, 7955 on steering and 5645 on throttle) to the point where I feel like it's handling well.

Looking at the newer buggies at the track yesterday, I couldn't help but notice how slimmed down they are in comparison to the Hyper, and they seemed much more nimble (in particular, I was watching an MBX6 and a Hyper 9). Part of this I know is due to the powerplant, and so I'll be switching to a Nova 2001BF shortly.

My question is whether anyone is running a Hyper 7 in club racing, and if so, whether it can be competetive with the latest and greatest. I love the durability of the car, but from what I hear, it's heavy...

Thanks,
Dominic
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Dude, i can feel your pain as i have experienced the same thing. i had a hyper 7. Its not that bad, i do not think the 7 will slow you down or negatively lower your driving skill. True that a nice buggy may assist you faster. But, they are relatively expensive. Drive your 7 until it cost too much to fix, never upgrade it again. Just like driving your real car, use it till it all jack up and time for something newer..Dont you think so?

Oh yes, they are heavy.. So what!! I think they are still competitive with the others. Skills..Also, when we race, its all about pre-race preparation. Even you have a 1000$ Xray and there is not enought pre-race preparation done, it = to "0".....

Dont give up on the 7, keep practicing with this, learn cornering, jumping...ect ( I assum you are a 1/8 scle beginner)....sorry if i offend you in any shape or form...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Location: I live in the middle of nowhere. A place where we have roughly 0 nitro tracks, on or off road. All we have is flat grass and open corn fields, sometimes it's not even fun to bash there anymore.

i have a hyper 7 and i race it every weekend. its not upgraded in anyway except the steering servo, and i do pretty good with it, i've won a few i mean i'm not like dominant or anything, but my stock hyper 7 works fine for now, it is kind of heavy. but in my opinion i think its more stable than the other lighter buggies
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would imagine it's not a bad thing to learn on a buggy like that. The longer you go before upgrading to something that is top of the line, the better you will be at simply getting a buggy around the track. You will probably appreciate the upgrade a lot more and see better lap-time improvements.

Try club racing with what you've got. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I owned the Hyper 7 for 4 years..I had the Pro, the PBS, and The PCR versions. They are awesome buggies. They are planted on the track because they are heavier and have such a low center of Gravity. They are great buggies to get into racing with. If you put a more powerful plant in it, it will really help it clear the jumps better. We have a few people still racing them here at club races, and they are very competitive. Wait until you are ready to move to Intermediate/Sportsman class before thinking about a new buggy, for now, have fun with it, learn with it, and get as fast as you can without crashing
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)

i run a hyper 7 every weekend too rtr version with tires, servo upgrade, 5 cell hump pack, pipe, and some suspension tweeks. its very competitive but yes heavy. i run with a couple losi's tho that are probably worth 1,500 plus and i have beat them and they beat me. so its all about your driving. a good buggy tho i love mine! im ofna all the way
Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I owned the Hyper 7 for 4 years..I had the Pro, the PBS, and The PCR versions. They are awesome buggies. They are planted on the track because they are heavier and have such a low center of Gravity. They are great buggies to get into racing with. If you put a more powerful plant in it, it will really help it clear the jumps better. We have a few people still racing them here at club races, and they are very competitive. Wait until you are ready to move to Intermediate/Sportsman class before thinking about a new buggy, for now, have fun with it, learn with it, and get as fast as you can without crashing
+1

i miss my hyper 7
Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would just drop a 3port nova limited in it. It is a very effecient motor that is cheap, durable, & has tons of bottom end which will make you very fast in the infield. Races are not won on the straights, but in the infields. I would take 20 seconds of dominance in the infield over 2 seconds of domination on those two big straights any day of the week. Alot of the truggy racers like to use the motor because of all the torque it generates & it is a very fuel efficient motor.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+1 $140 Nova rossi N21 BF all you'll ever need and will get the heavy Hyper around the track with no problems.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240
+1 $140 Nova rossi N21 BF all you'll ever need and will get the heavy Hyper around the track with no problems.
That's exactly what I've got. Right now I'm just trying to figure out why on earth Nova used slotted bolts on the head, and how to get them off without stripping them - those suckers are on tight. The guy I bought it from added a shim to run 30% and I want to remove it. At least it hasn't seen fuel.

Dominic
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would run it w/ 30%. you will get alot more run time out of a tank of fuel.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Should I break in with 30% as well? If so, what plug? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by party_wagon
30% gives more run time? Hmmm.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default hyper7

Originally Posted by xxx123
Dude, i can feel your pain as i have experienced the same thing. i had a hyper 7. Its not that bad, i do not think the 7 will slow you down or negatively lower your driving skill. True that a nice buggy may assist you faster. But, they are relatively expensive. Drive your 7 until it cost too much to fix, never upgrade it again. Just like driving your real car, use it till it all jack up and time for something newer..Dont you think so?

Oh yes, they are heavy.. So what!! I think they are still competitive with the others. Skills..Also, when we race, its all about pre-race preparation. Even you have a 1000$ Xray and there is not enought pre-race preparation done, it = to "0".....

Dont give up on the 7, keep practicing with this, learn cornering, jumping...ect ( I assum you are a 1/8 scle beginner)....sorry if i offend you in any shape or form...
very very wise words. i had the hyper 7 rtr then went to the rc8, yes it did run better but u can easily tweak the hyper to drive better.
there was a kid in my track with a hyper 7 rtr and he was beating some local guys with a losi truggy with his skills.

run the hyper till it breaks then get a very good second hand roller thats my advise.
all u need is a good servo, and sort the suspension out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.