R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Fuel Residue around Engine?????

I own a AE RC8 with a RB S7 that has about 3-4 gallons on the motor.. Well my question is that last few races i am getting alot of fuel residue around my engine and center diff and it covers my rear brake disk. I have replaced all fuel lines, tight zip tie around air filter, new exhaust gaskets??? Motor runs/idles fine, good temps, never sounds or runs lean.

So the only other thing i can think of is that its coming from the boot thats around the low speed needle or it has a small pin needle size hole in it or the O-ring is bad..

Any suggestions..
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC8racer View Post
I own a AE RC8 with a RB S7 that has about 3-4 gallons on the motor.. Well my question is that last few races i am getting alot of fuel residue around my engine and center diff and it covers my rear brake disk. I have replaced all fuel lines, tight zip tie around air filter, new exhaust gaskets??? Motor runs/idles fine, good temps, never sounds or runs lean.

So the only other thing i can think of is that its coming from the boot thats around the low speed needle or it has a small pin needle size hole in it or the O-ring is bad..

Any suggestions..
Its more than likely your front motor bearing. Is there fuel slung on the roof of the body?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:

Any suggestions..
My guess is a leaky front bearing.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1384
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a 2 year old RB S5 with 4 gallons on it that seeps lube through the front bearing and makes a mess of things. My engine runs good and holds its tune so I'm not worried about it. I first noticed dirt build-up around the flywheel, and of course the flywheel flings it all over the place.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
Its more than likely your front motor bearing. Is there fuel slung on the roof of the body?
Yes its getting on the roof of the body.

I never thought about the front bearing, im sure thats were its comming from. I think I would let it ride like the way it is but its getting on my rear disk brake and im sure its effecting my brake performance plus its just a big mess on the inside of the chassis.

So i guess the question is now go ceramic bearing or standard bearing? And jpz who can replace my front bearing for me, don't it take a special tool to remove the front bearing or can I do it my self?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes its getting on the roof of the body.

I never thought about the front bearing, im sure thats were its comming from. I think I would let it ride like the way it is but its getting on my rear disk brake and im sure its effecting my brake performance plus its just a big mess on the inside of the chassis.

So i guess the question is now go ceramic bearing or standard bearing? And jpz who can replace my front bearing for me, don't it take a special tool to remove the front bearing or can I do it my self?
You will want ceramics. I reccomend TKO. If it were me I would change both at the same time (front and rear). You don't need a special tool. You just have to tear the engine down to just the block and bearings, now heat the block up with a heat gun, or in the oven. Now you will need something to push the front bearing out from behind, a small wooden dowel works best. Get a good hold of the hot block (with oven mits or something), and use the dowel to pop the bearing out. If it is in there really good you might need to use a hammer to tap the dowel. If you want to get the rear out, heat the block up some more especially around the rear bearing. Now use a flat table or a piece of wood or something and smack the engine off of that. You will want to hit it flat on the rear/backplate area. Eventually the rear bearing should fall out. Now you will need to put the new ones in. I usually put the new bearings in the freezer for awhile before this(makes hem shrink some). Now with the block still hot, or reheated, put the front bearing onto the crankshaft. You will then press that in with the crank basically backwards. Once you have that pressed in pretty good, put the rear bearing onto the crank. Again use the crank to press that in, but of corse the right direction this time. If you weren't able to get the bearings seated all the way(usual) you can now put a collet/flywheel onto the crank and tighten that down. This will pull both of the bearings togather seating them correctly. You will want to do this part while it is still pretty hot. Now let it cool down, and reassemble it. bearing change done.

Here are the bearings I reccomend.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1384

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=2884
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote