R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   JR 590 servo ? for 8t (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/288584-jr-590-servo-8t.html)

steve307b 04-08-2009 07:07 PM

JR 590 servo ? for 8t

My buddys 8t rtr blew the stock jr650 steering servo that I think was about 142 oz @ 6v. He had a jr 590 (85 oz @ 6v not alot I know) in his box wich I know is not a good servo for the steer on a truggy but we put it in his steer anyways because thats all we had at the time. Anyways I set the epa with the truggy on a box and it seemed to turn the wheels fine, until we put in on the pavement and ran it. It really struggled to turn it. It would turn but not very sharp like when on the box. I figured it would work, is this 590 just too weak to turn the truggy on pavement because of too much traction, or could there be another problem? We didnt try it in the dirt...Thanks

AZrcdriver 04-08-2009 07:20 PM

While evryone will tell you that is not enough servo and they are correct it will not last long, but it still should at least work.

The factory servos that came in my Jammin X1 RTR were lighter than that and still worked, even ran it in a race with them.

If the servo is having troubles than you have something else wrong which may be why you killed the old servo. I would look at the front end carefully.

steve307b 04-08-2009 07:35 PM

Mann... I looked at it and just couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. Like I said it seems fine with the wheels off the ground, no funny noises or anything, uh...just wont turn sharp when sitting on the pavment. Anymore suggestions:confused:

sgodwin85 04-08-2009 07:41 PM

that truggy is so heaving in the front end with the combination of the overall weight of the truck, and the width of the front end, you just need alot of torque out of a servo to turn the thing. now the servo you have will work, but it will not do it very fast due to the lack of torque. it will really struggle to turn the front wheels as they are so heavy. and the stress put on that servo by the weight of the vehicle will eventually blow it out. you can keep spending money on cheap servos like that or you can just fork out the money 1 time for a good servo and not have to worry about it. i have a JR 8800s in my car that i have out over 10 hours on and have not had one single problem

Frank L 04-08-2009 08:05 PM

I have been using a JR9100T and it worked great for a year. I blew out the top bearing and JR replaced it even though it was a user issue and not a warranty issue. While I was waiting for the 9100 to return I bought a Hitec 7955 and I love it. It is much more precise and even sounds better when it works. Most of all it does not do the JR shake. I am wanting to replace the 9100S I use for the throttle but it hasn't given me a reason yet. That 590 is not strong enough for steering, ok for short use as a back up, but it will not last long.

steve307b 04-08-2009 08:16 PM

Hey guys... I have dual 7955's in my 8t 2.0, and I know having these is the way to go and saves headaches, but I just thought this would work, for atleast a little bit until my friend could invest in something better. But like the guy that responded to me first said, he raced with low torque servos and it worked. This just makes me think there is something else wrong, I dont know....probably just too dang weak to turn it on the pavement..might work a little better in the dirt with less traction huh?

JAMMINKRAZY 04-08-2009 08:37 PM

Check the servo saver. Could be set too loose. That really is NOT enough torque though.

Like you said the 7955 is the way to go for truggies.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=9980

token 04-08-2009 08:48 PM

everything is fine - you need a stronger servo. The 590 will crap out in less that a day. the wheels wont turn simply because it to heavy like someone said and its not enough power to turn standing still. You push it and they will turn more.but you need and 200ozt for steering