R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bustedpiecesrc
Default hyper .21 8 port

alright, now i know this isnt the greatest motor to choose but i have a brand new one and im looking for some info about what kind of motor this is.. is it a bottom end motor or a high end?? be nice fellas.. i could have probably bought a better one... what are your opinions...
Mugen MBX6 nova +4
bustedpiecesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dont let anyone get you down about your engine...I have been using the Hyper .21 8 port for almost 5 years. I get 10+ gallons on every one. It holds a tune well makes a ton of power and its IMO one of the best $100 engines on the market. For future reference any engine that has 5 plus ports will always be a top end engine..so the 8 port is also. It likes the Mcoy 8, or 59 plug, and works great with the Ofna, or Dynamite 053 pipe, which will also give it some more bottom end grunt. It is a screamer on long straights and will keep up with $300 engines on any straightaway. It does not get good runtimes... 7-8 minutes in buggy maximum...keep an eye on temps, and smoke from the pipe, if you overheat it, it will Flame on you, and become tricky to tune. break in is about 5-6 tanks of fuel, then race tune it, and beat the hell out of it..You will not be disapointed in this engine, people still come up to me today and say "what the hell engine you got in there"..As you become a more serious racer, as I did...you will find the Hyper 8 port makes a great practice/back up engine while you waste your money on a bonafide "racing Mill"...why I have no idea, but we all do it
Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

i planned on running it in my truggy until i get used to running the dang thing... i have the hyper pipe for it right now, short on cash to get another for it... i like seeing that you get about 10 gallons on it, works for me for now thanks jaz240
Mugen MBX6 nova +4
Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The Hyper pipe is a .28 pipe and will probably not work well at all with your Hyper.21 I also think it will severely limit your runtimes..but you'll have to do your own experiments..just make sure you get out and practice and time your tanks before racing..good luck, enjoy...keep your temps below 260 always
Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

thanks jaz... i will definately make some runs before i race it..... i will find some money somewhere to buy a better pipe for it... i will never run over 260 with it...
Mugen MBX6 nova +4
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Tech Regular

One of the most underrated nitro engines currently available. It likes to run hot. Run a 2027 PCR pipe with a header off a OFNA 086 pipe+ 1.1 springs and aluminium shoes, this will help with the bottom end. Just buy the standard 8 port the older style, not the newer ones with sliver heads. You want the ones with either Black or Purple head. Also follow the mid range needle settings from Engine Lounge under Sticky.

For further information check out the OFNA forum, under Engine Lounge, hyper 8 port engines. Look for posts by Rob B aka Nitrohouse.

I had one I leaned bottom so much that was pinging hard, the head bolts of the engine came loose (did this a few times) and she's still kicking. One tough engine.

Hope this helps
Jesussaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesussaves View Post
One of the most underrated nitro engines currently available. It likes to run hot. Run a 2027 PCR pipe with a header off a OFNA 086 pipe+ 1.1 springs and aluminium shoes, this will help with the bottom end. Just buy the standard 8 port the older style, not the newer ones with sliver heads. You want the ones with either Black or Purple head. Also follow the mid range needle settings from Engine Lounge under Sticky.

For further information check out the OFNA forum, under Engine Lounge, hyper 8 port engines. Look for posts by Rob B aka Nitrohouse.

I had one I leaned bottom so much that was pinging hard, the head bolts of the engine came loose (did this a few times) and she's still kicking. One tough engine.

Hope this helps
i got the one with the purple head.. im running it in an 8ight t 1.0.. i will look for one of them pipes and get more info on them... i havent heard of them... thanks for the info.. i like it when i can get some help with the cheaper mills out there
Mugen MBX6 nova +4

Last edited by bustedpiecesrc; 04-09-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have about 3/4 of a gallon through my hyper 8p. Great engine! As much power as you would ever want in a buggy. Running a jp-3 pipe on it. Best run time was 9min 22sec during a test day but it was a tad on the lean side.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

i meant to say its in my 8ight t 1.0, its in my truggy
Mugen MBX6 nova +4