R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
ALG
Tech Regular

Default DECODER

Hi guys Im looking for a decoder, not AMB because its to pricy. Is there something cheaper?

thanks for your help

Have fun
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
sac
Tech Regular

ALG

IF you are looking for a lap counter ,look into the I-LAP counter.The transponder are $40 not $110 like the AMB's .The big difference is the I-lap is infered instead of radio freq like the AMB.
The both use the same software.

We use the I-LAP at our track and it works just as good as the AMB.
go to www.rclapcounter.com Craig the owner is great person to deal with and will also answer any questions.

For club or even national events this system works great and will help to keep the cost down..

sac
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default AMBrc

Trust me get the AMBrc if you plan on having any kind of big race. Every one who races has AMB transponders and it makes every thing easy. Have 50/50 drawings at the track for the system, let every one at the track know what the 50/50 is for and you will get the money. You can get the system with rc scoring pro 20 car for 3700 new.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
sac
Tech Regular

Marcus

Not everyone ownes a AMB transponder @$110+ .That is why most tracks offer track transponders.Now i know what you are going to say "my track everyone ownes a AMB transponder"maybe at your track, but most tracks still offer a track set for those who don't want to spend the money for the AMB pt.We have a track set of I-LAP transponder for racers to use if they do not own a I-LAP transponder.
Also keep in mind AMB has had no compitition for more than 20+ years until now,so yes alot of tracks us it .You have to give the new system a chance to get out there.We also had some drivers say the I-LAP wouldn't work as good as the AMB ,they ALL changed there minds after the first day of using it,just as accurate as the AMB.
We also have had NO complaints about people buying a I-LAP transponder at $40 even if they do own a AMB pt.

As for cost, you can get into the I-lap system for as little as $500 plus scoring program depending on how wide the track is .You can down load LAPS-FREE counting software for free.Now compare that cost to the AMB at $2500 or more plus the cost of the scoring software,to get the same end result,accurate and reliable lap counting.

This all keeps the cost down for the track owner and the racer.
I also have to think you have never been to a track that uses the ILAP system.

sac
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Tech Master

I personally like the AMB Or d or K system, ( Whatever) cause it is used every where, I own a few PT's From I lap..Cheap, but it is Really more expensive, to get 2 PT'S, It costs a set of tires, I wish the hobby would just Adopt a standard,I would race more at certain tracks if I did not have to redo my electronics each week depending on what system the track has..AMB Earned the spot, so if you wanna race, get a PT, Otherwise, ...Watch, I understand it is not what is best for the Hobby, But if I need another TP..I am done.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
Marcus

Not everyone ownes a AMB transponder @$110+ .That is why most tracks offer track transponders.Now i know what you are going to say "my track everyone ownes a AMB transponder"maybe at your track, but most tracks still offer a track set for those who don't want to spend the money for the AMB pt.We have a track set of I-LAP transponder for racers to use if they do not own a I-LAP transponder.
Also keep in mind AMB has had no compitition for more than 20+ years until now,so yes alot of tracks us it .You have to give the new system a chance to get out there.We also had some drivers say the I-LAP wouldn't work as good as the AMB ,they ALL changed there minds after the first day of using it,just as accurate as the AMB.
We also have had NO complaints about people buying a I-LAP transponder at $40 even if they do own a AMB pt.

As for cost, you can get into the I-lap system for as little as $500 plus scoring program depending on how wide the track is .You can down load LAPS-FREE counting software for free.Now compare that cost to the AMB at $2500 or more plus the cost of the scoring software,to get the same end result,accurate and reliable lap counting.

This all keeps the cost down for the track owner and the racer.
I also have to think you have never been to a track that uses the ILAP system.

sac
all the big events will have amb. i personally have 2 transponders my self and am gettin more eventually

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You guys that think AMB is so great, if we used your theories we all would be driving Associated RC10 Gold pans because they had the first real race buggy and therefore no one else should join the fun. Competion makes it better for everyone. It will bring down costs and make systems better if AMB has to compete for business and not be a monopoly. JMO
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Tech Addict

I totally agree that we racers need choices, that's why these manufacturers spend sooo much money on their advertising. There is a cheaper alternative to the AMBrc and it's made in England by MRC. These PTs are totally compatible with all AMB scoring systems, are much lighter AND cheaper at about $70. Plus they come with 20 numbers stored inside so you can easily program them or clone them to your existing AMB number. I've been running mine for over a year, and it has performed flawlessly at every track I've raced at. It's good to have choices!!
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
ALG
Tech Regular

Thanks guys for the help, were are still thinking of the best solution.

Have fun
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I just had to get a PT and was pissed about it. I wanted the MRT 1 but their site was down for a while cause they were so busy they stopped taking orders for like a month or so. Thats all good but i wasnt happy that I had to be the guy who had to spend $105 instead of $62 I said when I found out about MRT I wouldnt buy a PT ever again and I dont plan on it. And if you have an old beat down PT you can send it to them they will clone the number into a new 1 and give you a discount for giving the beat down PT to them. And you can replace the leads they have 2 different lenghts, different color lights, a few different styles of cases, and if you get 10 or more they are even cheaper, shoot you cant beat it. I cant wait till i need another 1. Frankly I want to sell this PT I bought I never used it yet and would rather use the MRT lots of guys around my way switched up.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Tech Elite

$100 is not bad for a AMB transponder if you ask me. I have one that is 2 years old and has been in 3 cars. its the Decoder and program. Some one needs to come up with a cheep decoder that will work with AMB transponders and a cheep program. I know a lot of tracks that would love to start racing but will not pay 3000 + on a AMB decoder and RC Scoring pro. I am sure some one out there can make a cheep decoder and program.
KBRL Nitro Series
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
$100 is not bad for a AMB transponder if you ask me. I have one that is 2 years old and has been in 3 cars. its the Decoder and program. Some one needs to come up with a cheep decoder that will work with AMB transponders and a cheep program. I know a lot of tracks that would love to start racing but will not pay 3000 + on a AMB decoder and RC Scoring pro. I am sure some one out there can make a cheep decoder and program.

+1
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree that the AMB's are ridiculously expensive. For the $100 I paid for the transponder I could have gotten a servo that lifts my house off the foundation. AMB is taking people to the cleaners because we had no choice up till now. It does nothing but count laps..$100?... If they had one that tuned my engine and prevented crashes...now that would be worth it
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default tx

It's worth $100 just showing up at the races handing over your money and not having to worry about the house transponders every time it's your turn to race.
KBRL Nitro Series
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
X2

I personally own 2 AMB transponders, that I got a few years back for $85 each. I don't think the transponder cost is the issue at all, because once you spend that $100 you are done. I do understand though that the cost of the system can be too much for a new track that is starting out. And on that point I agree with you that some other company needs to create a system that will read AMB transponders. That would be great, and get AMB on thier toes.

Now as for other systems like Infrared systems and I lap, etc. I just don't see them being practical for a track that is interested in having big races. If the intent is simply weekly club racing, then maybe I could see them being practical. But it really comes down to the fact that AMB is the dominant system right now. So dominant that most tracks use thier systems. And even more so that most serious racers own atleast one AMB PT. And yet even more so that, AMB has become the standard for regulated racing such as RC pro series etc. So if someone can come up with an affordable system that will accept AMB PT's, there might be a second option. Until then IMO AMB is the ONLY option.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote