Wiki Posts
Search

Xtreme Racing Truggy Top Plate & Camber Plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Xtreme Racing Truggy Top Plate & Camber Plate

hello was wondering if anyone has these two products. I was thinking of getting them but havent found any information on how to use them. If anyone uses these plates let me know what you think of them. Thx and how to use them!!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by wheruat
hello was wondering if anyone has these two products. I was thinking of getting them but havent found any information on how to use them. If anyone uses these plates let me know what you think of them. Thx and how to use them!!

Why would you want something if you don't know what it is or how to use it?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

well thats why im asking if anyone knows how to use it. read

Last edited by wheruat; 04-08-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: why waste your time posting something if your just gona ask a stupid question
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

My apologies, I guess that came across a bit harsh.

Top plate:

There are 2 parts that can be referred to as a "top plate."

1 is on top of the center differential, and it stiffens the differential mounts and provides a retainer for the brake cams. Some truggies use carbon fiber there, but even with bearings on the brake cams, the carbon fiber wears faster than aluminum. I replaced the carbon one on my previous Jammin truggy with the (CHEAPER!) aluminum one from the RTR version because it is more durable. (the aluminum one is heavier of course...) That might be what you are referring to.

The other is the part that connects the top of the servo saver and idler arm and the front chassis brace to the front bulkhead (differential mount) and in some cases like the Mugen for example also mounts the upper suspension arms. I would have happily replaced the carbon fiber one on my old MBX5 ProSpec with an aluminum one, because I broke several of the carbon ones.

The reason to replace either of those would be for more strength or durability.

As for a camber plate, I'm sorry, I have no idea what they are referring to. On all of the decent quality truggies I am aware of, camber is set by adjusting the length of the upper control arms. Now, possibly they mean TOE plates, which would be what holds the rear end of the rear hinge pins... you use different ones to change rear toe-in. Changing from the stock plastic (On most trucks) to aluminum would be done for durability. Some of them have adjustable inserts so you use the same plate but change the inserts to change toe.

Hope that is helpful.

Now... what are you trying to accomplish? What kind of truck do you have?

(EDITED I did a search and I found what I THINK you mean on the top plate, and based on that I can guess what the other is. They have a plate to use with RC setup stations (like the Hudy one for example) that is longer than the one for 1/8 scale buggy. It is used to tell how much front toe you are running on your truck... WITH the regular alignment station parts. It does nothing by itself.

As for the camber plate... maybe it is like the "quick set" camber guages which allow you to measure camber with the wheels on your truck. It isn't as accurate as the real alignment station, but works pretty well... well enough for most purposes.

Last edited by DOMIT; 04-08-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: To add details as listed in the "(EDITED)" section...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

How to use them:

You mount the 4 "stands" of the setup station on your wheel hubs (wheels are taken off and replaced by those stands.) Make sure the 2 with the small vertical posts are on the front wheels. Put the "top plate" on with the posts through the slots. turn the radio and car on so you are setting it with the servo holding neutral. Slide the plate all the way to one end and read the current toe setting from that end... then slide it the other way and read the other side. Adjust the steering linkage on either side as needed to get the desired setting and to make sure they are equal so the truck tracks straight.

(Note that you MUST have a setup station for a buggy for this to be effective... and now that I found that to answer your question I might have to get one of those- we use a Hudy setup station, but it doesn't have a plate that fits a truggy- it isn't long enough!)

As for the "camber plate," it is either a full setup station (possible, but unlikely...) or essentially just a hinged gauge that reads the angle so you can measure camber. If it is that type, you loosen the fastener that locks the angle and use it by having one edge flat on your workbench and the other against the wheel, with it held perfectly vertical and at a 90 degree angle to the face of the wheel. Or, you can "lock" it to the desired setting and make adjustments to your camber linkage until it sits flush. Useful tool... and it is "stand alone."

Note that BOTH measurements for camber and toe are usually done "bones level," i.e. with the driveshafts parallel to the workbench.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

I apologies too if i came off like a jerk. Yah i understand the product but was trying to reference off the HUDY setup thingy. Thx for the help and taking the time to explain how to use. thx