R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Default Looking for direction or a starting point

Got a Losi 8ight T and am somewhat confused on where to start. I pulled the setup from losi's website for droop and everything and already changed the oil weight but am not sure what kind of ride height I should be runnin on this thing? The setup sheet tells me 19mm but from what to what? If someone has some pointers on where to get started I'd appreciate it!
trippleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippleh View Post
Got a Losi 8ight T and am somewhat confused on where to start. I pulled the setup from losi's website for droop and everything and already changed the oil weight but am not sure what kind of ride height I should be runnin on this thing? The setup sheet tells me 19mm but from what to what? If someone has some pointers on where to get started I'd appreciate it!
Just set the ride height so that the CVs are level with the ground after dropping the car from about 18"...at that point the a-arms will probably not be level, which is ok. That should be a good starting point.
DustnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Default

I use Truhe's 07 dirt nitro challange setup sheet which has the front at 36mm and the rear at 38mm.. works good for me.
Evolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustnF View Post
Just set the ride height so that the CVs are level with the ground after dropping the car from about 18"...at that point the a-arms will probably not be level, which is ok. That should be a good starting point.
Alright I figure myself for a pretty mechanicaly inclined person but you got the newbie with this one. Got a picutr of what your talking about? These the driveshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolrider View Post
I use Truhe's 07 dirt nitro challange setup sheet which has the front at 36mm and the rear at 38mm.. works good for me.
That's the exact one I'm using and it's funny cause that's the exact track(nitro pit in AZ) that I plan to run at. I must of thought of something else with the 19mm sorry lol.
trippleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

here's a great vid with Adam Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H99PKqsUZjA
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

In response to your question about CVD's level, yes, the driveshafts.

As for setting droop, you do that by putting 2 bare wheels (no tires) under the truck, and measure the height of the suspension hubs above the workbench. use the droop setscrews which are little setscrews through the suspension arms by the hingepin- they hit the chassis to stop the arms from traveling down further. Screw them in to raise the arm, out to lower.

MAKE SURE your shock pistons are not hitting the bottom of the shocks at full droop- if the shocks are restricting droop, you are likely to break a shock... so if you have to use less droop than specified (the bigger the measurement, the less droop you have) to keep the shocks from being the limiting factor then do so... better to finish a race with a slightly less than optimum setting than not finish due to a broken shock!
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Ive never broken a shock due to not running droop...I NEVER used to set droop for the fact All older chassis used the same set-up....set screw Directly rubbing on the Alum chassis which will only last for so long...so its not crucial to "limit" the shocks.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
In response to your question about CVD's level, yes, the driveshafts.

As for setting droop, you do that by putting 2 bare wheels (no tires) under the truck, and measure the height of the suspension hubs above the workbench. use the droop setscrews which are little setscrews through the suspension arms by the hingepin- they hit the chassis to stop the arms from traveling down further. Screw them in to raise the arm, out to lower.

MAKE SURE your shock pistons are not hitting the bottom of the shocks at full droop- if the shocks are restricting droop, you are likely to break a shock... so if you have to use less droop than specified (the bigger the measurement, the less droop you have) to keep the shocks from being the limiting factor then do so... better to finish a race with a slightly less than optimum setting than not finish due to a broken shock!

That made a ton of sense, I'll give that a try and see what happens.
trippleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/12 forum ovalnator Electric On-Road 45706 Today 06:17 AM
JConcepts Thread AndyMoore Electric Off-Road 9448 08-18-2017 06:56 PM
RC equipments for Sale ijnek Malaysian R/C Racers 22836 09-09-2009 01:50 PM
| The JConcepts Clash | AndyMoore Racing Forum 65 12-11-2007 04:34 PM
It's time for race tracks&directors to step up Juan Aveytia Electric On-Road 19 11-26-2006 07:09 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:25 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net