R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for direction or a starting point

Got a Losi 8ight T and am somewhat confused on where to start. I pulled the setup from losi's website for droop and everything and already changed the oil weight but am not sure what kind of ride height I should be runnin on this thing? The setup sheet tells me 19mm but from what to what? If someone has some pointers on where to get started I'd appreciate it!
trippleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippleh View Post
Got a Losi 8ight T and am somewhat confused on where to start. I pulled the setup from losi's website for droop and everything and already changed the oil weight but am not sure what kind of ride height I should be runnin on this thing? The setup sheet tells me 19mm but from what to what? If someone has some pointers on where to get started I'd appreciate it!
Just set the ride height so that the CVs are level with the ground after dropping the car from about 18"...at that point the a-arms will probably not be level, which is ok. That should be a good starting point.
DustnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

I use Truhe's 07 dirt nitro challange setup sheet which has the front at 36mm and the rear at 38mm.. works good for me.
Evolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustnF View Post
Just set the ride height so that the CVs are level with the ground after dropping the car from about 18"...at that point the a-arms will probably not be level, which is ok. That should be a good starting point.
Alright I figure myself for a pretty mechanicaly inclined person but you got the newbie with this one. Got a picutr of what your talking about? These the driveshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolrider View Post
I use Truhe's 07 dirt nitro challange setup sheet which has the front at 36mm and the rear at 38mm.. works good for me.
That's the exact one I'm using and it's funny cause that's the exact track(nitro pit in AZ) that I plan to run at. I must of thought of something else with the 19mm sorry lol.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

here's a great vid with Adam Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H99PKqsUZjA
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

In response to your question about CVD's level, yes, the driveshafts.

As for setting droop, you do that by putting 2 bare wheels (no tires) under the truck, and measure the height of the suspension hubs above the workbench. use the droop setscrews which are little setscrews through the suspension arms by the hingepin- they hit the chassis to stop the arms from traveling down further. Screw them in to raise the arm, out to lower.

MAKE SURE your shock pistons are not hitting the bottom of the shocks at full droop- if the shocks are restricting droop, you are likely to break a shock... so if you have to use less droop than specified (the bigger the measurement, the less droop you have) to keep the shocks from being the limiting factor then do so... better to finish a race with a slightly less than optimum setting than not finish due to a broken shock!
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Ive never broken a shock due to not running droop...I NEVER used to set droop for the fact All older chassis used the same set-up....set screw Directly rubbing on the Alum chassis which will only last for so long...so its not crucial to "limit" the shocks.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
In response to your question about CVD's level, yes, the driveshafts.

As for setting droop, you do that by putting 2 bare wheels (no tires) under the truck, and measure the height of the suspension hubs above the workbench. use the droop setscrews which are little setscrews through the suspension arms by the hingepin- they hit the chassis to stop the arms from traveling down further. Screw them in to raise the arm, out to lower.

MAKE SURE your shock pistons are not hitting the bottom of the shocks at full droop- if the shocks are restricting droop, you are likely to break a shock... so if you have to use less droop than specified (the bigger the measurement, the less droop you have) to keep the shocks from being the limiting factor then do so... better to finish a race with a slightly less than optimum setting than not finish due to a broken shock!

That made a ton of sense, I'll give that a try and see what happens.