R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Looking for direction or a starting point (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/288456-looking-direction-starting-point.html)

trippleh 04-08-2009 10:22 AM

Looking for direction or a starting point

Got a Losi 8ight T and am somewhat confused on where to start. I pulled the setup from losi's website for droop and everything and already changed the oil weight but am not sure what kind of ride height I should be runnin on this thing? The setup sheet tells me 19mm but from what to what? If someone has some pointers on where to get started I'd appreciate it!

DustnF 04-08-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by trippleh (Post 5657665)
Got a Losi 8ight T and am somewhat confused on where to start. I pulled the setup from losi's website for droop and everything and already changed the oil weight but am not sure what kind of ride height I should be runnin on this thing? The setup sheet tells me 19mm but from what to what? If someone has some pointers on where to get started I'd appreciate it!

Just set the ride height so that the CVs are level with the ground after dropping the car from about 18"...at that point the a-arms will probably not be level, which is ok. That should be a good starting point.

Evolrider 04-08-2009 10:44 AM

I use Truhe's 07 dirt nitro challange setup sheet which has the front at 36mm and the rear at 38mm.. works good for me.

trippleh 04-08-2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DustnF (Post 5657708)
Just set the ride height so that the CVs are level with the ground after dropping the car from about 18"...at that point the a-arms will probably not be level, which is ok. That should be a good starting point.

Alright I figure myself for a pretty mechanicaly inclined person but you got the newbie with this one. Got a picutr of what your talking about? These the driveshafts?

Originally Posted by Evolrider (Post 5657758)
I use Truhe's 07 dirt nitro challange setup sheet which has the front at 36mm and the rear at 38mm.. works good for me.

That's the exact one I'm using and it's funny cause that's the exact track(nitro pit in AZ) that I plan to run at. I must of thought of something else with the 19mm sorry lol.

imaxx21 04-08-2009 03:03 PM

here's a great vid with Adam Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H99PKqsUZjA

DOMIT 04-08-2009 03:11 PM

In response to your question about CVD's level, yes, the driveshafts.

As for setting droop, you do that by putting 2 bare wheels (no tires) under the truck, and measure the height of the suspension hubs above the workbench. use the droop setscrews which are little setscrews through the suspension arms by the hingepin- they hit the chassis to stop the arms from traveling down further. Screw them in to raise the arm, out to lower.

MAKE SURE your shock pistons are not hitting the bottom of the shocks at full droop- if the shocks are restricting droop, you are likely to break a shock... so if you have to use less droop than specified (the bigger the measurement, the less droop you have) to keep the shocks from being the limiting factor then do so... better to finish a race with a slightly less than optimum setting than not finish due to a broken shock!

Integra 04-08-2009 03:50 PM

Ive never broken a shock due to not running droop...I NEVER used to set droop for the fact All older chassis used the same set-up....set screw Directly rubbing on the Alum chassis which will only last for so long...so its not crucial to "limit" the shocks.

trippleh 04-08-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DOMIT (Post 5658687)
In response to your question about CVD's level, yes, the driveshafts.

As for setting droop, you do that by putting 2 bare wheels (no tires) under the truck, and measure the height of the suspension hubs above the workbench. use the droop setscrews which are little setscrews through the suspension arms by the hingepin- they hit the chassis to stop the arms from traveling down further. Screw them in to raise the arm, out to lower.

MAKE SURE your shock pistons are not hitting the bottom of the shocks at full droop- if the shocks are restricting droop, you are likely to break a shock... so if you have to use less droop than specified (the bigger the measurement, the less droop you have) to keep the shocks from being the limiting factor then do so... better to finish a race with a slightly less than optimum setting than not finish due to a broken shock!

That made a ton of sense, I'll give that a try and see what happens.