Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Spitting Nitro Balls

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Engine Spitting Nitro Balls

Hi Guys,

Sorry to ask this, new to nitro buggy... been racing electrics.

Recently, purchased a MP 777 sp2 and a Novarossi P5X engine (2nd Hand).

When I fired up the engine after the hand over, I found the engine running very lean and blew up my spark plug. Therefore, I purchased a new NR No. 7 Plug (Recommended by shop for local climate).

I richen the engine by 1.5 turns on both the bottom and top end. Did not touch the mid. As the engine started to run, I leaned out 1/4 turns each time. I am currently about 1/4 turn away from the original settings. and I like the response of my throttle. However, I tested the pipe with a tissue paper and found that the engine is spitting out nitro balls. (e.g. Nitro fuel rather than the smoke.).

My question.... Is this normal..?? Or Can I / Should I lean it out abit more? or is there something I did wrong. Please advise... Thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If it is spitting out raw oil or fuel, then you are still too rich.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

is it spitting it after the engine is fully warmed up? it will seem richer when its cold

is it doing it at idle or mid/upper range?

could be your low speed needs to be leaned in just a bit.. Also I learned that these engines have a very small "sweet spot", 1/4 turn is probably too much, try 1/8 turn, or even less to really find the sweet spot
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Grip,

the oil is the only component of the fuel which does not burn. Typically the exhaust gasses are hot enought the unburnt oil comes out as smoke. When it drips out you MAY be a bit rich or there MAY be a build up of oil in the pipe if it does not periodicly get drained (cleaned). the way to verify if the engine is running rich is to pull the plug and look at the piston face. If it's black and wet and the blackness will rub off on the tip of a tooth pick, you are definately on the rich side. (if it's just black w/o the wet you're okay) Rich isn't always bad, it just means you aren't getting all of the ponies out of the engine.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What is your temp? If you like the throttle response leave the low where it is and just keep leaning the high alittle.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Malik, Chunk, Spawn and BIG Re,

Read all your advise and here's the answers as much as I remember.

1. Not equiped with Temp Gun yet... Just started with the buggy. But touched the heat sink after a while of idle, the heat is not scorching... able to touch it still.

2. The balls start to spit out 2 to 3 secs after firing up.

3. It spits at idle, mid and even high end.

4. Will try and lean out the bottom 1/8 turn

5. Chunk... Would it be ok if the bottom is lean but the top is abit towards the rich?

6. Will try and pull apart the engine this weekend and have a look and test the toothpick thingy...

7. Do we clean the pipe and other parts with spirits??

Cheers Guys.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Grip, everything you are seeing is a matter of needle settings. So you don't need to tear the engine down. For cleanng the pipe, I just pull it off and shake it out, maybe poke a rag inside.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys,

Played around with all the settings. Leaned out the bottom, but it still spits... I guess its the residue built up either in the pipe.

Any advice on what to use to clean out the pipe??

Cheers
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by chunk t
Grip, everything you are seeing is a matter of needle settings. So you don't need to tear the engine down. For cleanng the pipe, I just pull it off and shake it out, maybe poke a rag inside.

Thanks Chunk.... Will give it a try... would spirits help..??
Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

If it was that rich at idle spitting out fuel it won't run very long or just run then die. It's normal for them spit some oil and little fuel at times. How does it run on the track is it clean from idle to wot? Is there bog then run hard?