Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
engine keeps failing plugs. got any advice? >

engine keeps failing plugs. got any advice?

engine keeps failing plugs. got any advice?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default engine keeps failing plugs. got any advice?

in three days iv blown thrue three glow plugs and I never have glow plugs go bad before a gallon. the engine actually runs really good maybe a bit ritch on top and lean on bottom but runs 230 250 between mid day and before the sun goes down. im running orion 5 plug and its normally dry humidity 75 degrees mid day. so any ideas?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

If your engine is going through glow plugs that fast I would take the engine apart and inspect the internals and make sure there's no damage. How is the pinch/compression on it? Any leaks? If all is good reset your needles to factory setting and try again.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What mill and fuel? Not that that really matters, just curious.
One thign I would suggest is to look at your pipe. Has it been damaged recently? I had a mill last year, towards the end of the season it started blowing plugs left and right. Never could figure it out. Eventually, I pulled it and in doing so, found the bottom of the pipe was almost totally flat. Due to crappy weather, I havn't yet had a chance to test it with a new pipe...but hopefully soon.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

how old is the engine and how much fuel through it? was the element sucked down or smashed up? or just plain dead?
first place i look when I blow plugs are deck height and checking the rod and crank for slop
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
how old is the engine and how much fuel through it? was the element sucked down or smashed up? or just plain dead?
first place i look when I blow plugs are deck height and checking the rod and crank for slop
+1
Change the rod and check your head shims are all there...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
+1 Also check the bearings. If the rear bearing is starting to go it will kill plugs. Also check head shimming, and reset to factory to make sure it i not your tune. Also might want to try a different plug(brand) to make sure you didn't get a bad batch or something.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem before I got through my first gallon on one of my engines. My engine was the same way. Lean on bottom and richer on top. I was blowing them every half a tank to full tank.

I would try and richen out the bottom end a little if your running it lean and lean our your top end.

That fixed my problem and I have been able to hold glow plugs to half a gallon or more if I really choose too in that engine.

Just to be safe I would inspect your internals on the Mill and if all is ok try the needle settings I suggested.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

its the orion crf .21 the engine doesnt have more then 2 gallons thrue it but its been just sitting in my bag for 8 months because i was sent the new us spec orion engine and it was running so good i didnt want to wear it out so i put the us spec carb on the older crf and tuned her and like i said 3 or 4 tanks and the glow plug wont keep burning when i gas it hard and turns off. ed from eb said its my exhoust because i keep tearing fuel lines at the nipple of the exhoust and nipple of the hight speed needle. im completly lost tho.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

jeff, normally constantly blown plugs are due to bad rear bearing, send that thing to joe and I'll go through it for you
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pitpop
jeff, normally constantly blown plugs are due to bad rear bearing, send that thing to joe and I'll go through it for you
man thatd be awsome. I will send her then forsure!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jeff alessi 801
in three days iv blown thrue three glow plugs and I never have glow plugs go bad before a gallon. the engine actually runs really good maybe a bit ritch on top and lean on bottom but runs 230 250 between mid day and before the sun goes down. im running orion 5 plug and its normally dry humidity 75 degrees mid day. so any ideas?
Check the connecting rod and rear bearing.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

number 800's little bro?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
number 800's little bro?
im bigger in size
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Originally Posted by jeff alessi 801
im bigger in size
Right on. Yes you are the little "bigger" brother
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
Right on. Yes you are the little "bigger" brother

i see your running the xceleron set up im gonna get one to try till orion has one how do u like it i wanna put it in my truggy with a 2100kv and issues so far?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.