R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default losi Mach 427 seized!

New LOSI 8ight truggy RTR, I am not new to RC and not new to nitro. I broke in the engine to specs, and only ran about 2 1/2 gallons through it total. Always do proper after runs and have never let the engine get above 230. I was running this weekend on a nice 72 day here in Oregon (rare for this time of year) and when I was making a pass the engine died for no reason. When I tried to start it with the spin start, the car jumped with the starter torque. The engine was seized. I pulled the glow plug and tried it again thinking it may have hydraulically locked and same thing. I pulled the exhaust pipe from the engine and could see small metal pieces!. I was able to push the piston down with a screwdriver and can make the piston go up by turning the flywheel in the run direction but it gets stuck at TDC. I think the bottom end let loose. Maybe the crankshaft? I am going to call Team Losi and ask them what they can do for me. Has this ever happened to anyone here on a 427 rtr engine with very low hours? Do you think Losi will warranty the engine or give me a break on a new engine? if they dont, can you recommend a replacement engine for under $200 bucks. ( I saw that a replacement 427 was $139.00 +the ride.)
Any help would be appreciated because run season is fast approaching and I don't want to be a spectator. My son has the same exact car with about the same anount of run time and his is acting fine.
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Tech Adept

If I had to guess I'd say the bottom of the connecting rod broke but there is no way to know unless you take the backplate off. If it was me I'd probably talk to Horizon Hobby since they distribute Losi stuff now and from what I have read they have been taking care of problems better than calling Losi direct.
rc-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Default I called Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-mike View Post
If I had to guess I'd say the bottom of the connecting rod broke but there is no way to know unless you take the backplate off. If it was me I'd probably talk to Horizon Hobby since they distribute Losi stuff now and from what I have read they have been taking care of problems better than calling Losi direct.
I called them this morning after I got to work. They want me to send the motor to them and they will take a look at it. I hope they send a new one back to me! I wondered if this was a one-off failure or has anyone experienced the same thing (bad design)
****RUSH****
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My 427 done the same thing Sunday. It race great Saturday but Sunday I put it on the starter box and it started up and went pop. I knew what it was. It had less than 2 gallons in it. I'm going to replace the rod and see what happens.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i love guessing! how 'bout you?

i just re-built one of these that had prolly between 4-5 gallon's on it and the rod was still in great shape as well as the pinch! only problem with it was that some how the wrist pin retaing clip popped out of the piston and scored the sleeve!

no biggie as everything else is still good to go! slapped a new P/S in there along with the old rod just waiting on a couple thing's so i can hot rod it and a starter wheel for my starter box to start break-in

i got P/S/R for like $45! can't beat that!

the new rod will go in after break in is complete
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
I called them this morning after I got to work. They want me to send the motor to them and they will take a look at it. I hope they send a new one back to me! I wondered if this was a one-off failure or has anyone experienced the same thing (bad design)

They are really great with product support. I'm sure they will make it right for you.
www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.karz.ca
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Default That's good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
They are really great with product support. I'm sure they will make it right for you.
I will keep you guys informed.
****RUSH****
Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Default Replaced

Got my new engine yesterday!. The note in the box said that my connecting rod was broken and had done other internal damage. They said it was not cost effective to repair so they sent me a brand new engine!.Thanks Horizon Hobby.
****RUSH****
Old 04-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Tech Elite

the con rods in these are a weak point, will look on ebay or LHS to buy a new one, once you break it in, change to the new one and it should last a while