R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Servo Problem

I have a Futaba S9350 servo in steering of a Losi 8ight B 1.0. At the track, I ran it quite a few times, then took it into the pits to do some work. I noticed the steeing wasnt smooth, it was actually very hard to turn. I turned the radio and car on, steered perfectly. I was actually driving my best of that day when the servo had problems. After I went home, i noticed the actual steering assembly was fine, with no bindage. It was actually the stering servo. Right now it locks up most of the time leaving me unable to turn it. I used to be able to turn it VERY easily, not I cant even turn it. I turn my radio on, car on.....works perfectly! So what is the problem with this servo? Thanks!

EDIT: I can turn it a little bit now at times, but when I turn it on it still works perfectly. Seems like a little bit more noise than normal. Like I said a LITTLE bit more noise. I cant smell anything burning up.

Another EDIT: I coudlnt tell the difference on the track, when i came into the pits I could feel the difference.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"

Last edited by Chris__RC; 04-05-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Not sure with that servo but in most futaba servos the first gear is plastic. I would take it apart and check that gear. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace but not always easy to find.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
Not sure with that servo but in most futaba servos the first gear is plastic. I would take it apart and check that gear. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace but not always easy to find.
Ive stripped the plastic bottom ger on my Airtronics servo, and have had 2 servo motors die out, Airtronics 94357 and JR z590M (Proud Losi owner! ) but neither have been like this. Hard to move, but performs flawlessly on the track.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Tech Master

No one knows? I guess this is a weird question, but this hasnt happen to anyone before?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would not say it sounds like 1st gear problems I have roasted plastic 1st gears on my KO servos you loose all steering and you hear the servo motor going and going. If you have a spare put it in and send that 1 in for service or just run it till it breaks if there is no warranty. But I would DEFINETLY open it up and have a look at the gears though just to make shure I could be wrong.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik View Post
I would not say it sounds like 1st gear problems I have roasted plastic 1st gears on my KO servos you loose all steering and you hear the servo motor going and going. If you have a spare put it in and send that 1 in for service or just run it till it breaks if there is no warranty. But I would DEFINETLY open it up and have a look at the gears though just to make shure I could be wrong.
No gears are stripped. I noticed the pin for the plastic bottom gear on the top case was halfway distorted, I mean like half of it wasnt there. I put some shoe goo on it to make it form to the pin again, going to see how that works.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would replace it maybe even the whole set. They arent as expensive as replacing the servo if you know what I mean. It is hard to inspect all the gears with them being so small. They could be worn alittle and you not see it yet. I have dealt with servos with the 1st plastic gear and will not do it again, they should make a steel option for it KO PROPO does.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote