R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Since they are already mounted I would drill the wheel with an 1/8 in bit instead of the tire. The tire is best done with a punch so its a clean, round hole. If you just stab it it will not be a hole but rather an inconsistant puncture. This is why I say drill the insde of the wheel with a drill bit that way its a clean hole that will be consistant. 1/10th scale guys always drill their wheels but 1/8th scale punch their tires with the idea that it will allow the water to escape. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

When I forget to put holes in the tires before mounting them, I heat up an O-Ring pick red hot and use it to make the holes. Very easy to do. A coat hanger or anything like that would work to.
oldsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Since they are already mounted the best way to do it is pinch the tire and carve the smallest hole you possibly can out with an exacto knife. It has to be at least 3mm. Just poking it with something wont work you actually have to remove alittle piece of rubber. I did it myself once or twice in a hurry LOL. Yes I have to agree going to proline from AKA is moving backwards for shure, I ran proline last year now its AKA and VP-PRO they are the 2 best out there if you ask me and i too wish 1 or both of these companies would make some 10th scale tires too I am shure they will hopefully. I got beat while I was typing LOL.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Since they are already mounted I would drill the wheel with an 1/8 in bit instead of the tire. The tire is best done with a punch so its a clean, round hole. If you just stab it it will not be a hole but rather an inconsistant puncture. This is why I say drill the insde of the wheel with a drill bit that way its a clean hole that will be consistant. 1/10th scale guys always drill their wheels but 1/8th scale punch their tires with the idea that it will allow the water to escape. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsavage View Post
When I forget to put holes in the tires before mounting them, I heat up an O-Ring pick red hot and use it to make the holes. Very easy to do. A coat hanger or anything like that would work to.

Thank you and Thank you. Going to use a metal skewer
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Lots of racers are using a leather punch (home depot tool section) and it still works with the tires are on.
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote