Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Noises coming when I let off my throttle? >

Noises coming when I let off my throttle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noises coming when I let off my throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Noises coming when I let off my throttle?

Just thought I'd ask while im bored. When I was driving my losi 8ight 1.0 today I notice right when I let off the throttle I heard some kind of noise. Sounded like the gears being to tight but I thought my clutch bell mesh was good but idk. Could it be from the diffs if there isnt enough fluid in it? Also every time I hit the breaks I heard kind of the same sound but it was just a quick sound. It was like the gears were hitting eachother. Sounded like a clink? Is my mesh to tight?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Do you have to much drag brake dialed into the car? Thatss all I can really gather from your information. What type of sound did it make? Crunchy?
Is your Diff loose? IT can make quick grinding sounds if you have it a little to loose.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have you ever considered a "Ask [email protected] 8ight 1.0 questions!?"
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

yes a bit crunch, im not sure how to know if my diff is loose. Also what do you mean by drag brake?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I had a similar noise in my 1.0, but it was when I used brake. Turned out to be the rear diff/pinion was misaligned just a tad. I simply took it apart, cleaned everything up, set the pinion/diff gear mesh and put it back together.

Oh, also check for small rocks in the drivetrain. They can be culprits as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, typically on most cars you can insert a flat head screwdriver into one of the sides of the diff, you can look in the light to see which side of the diff has the flat head slot. You generally tighten it to the right to tighten your diff. On your car, there are brakes and drag brake. The Drag brakes are applied when you let off the throttle, which slows the car down and also effects the flight characteristics of your buggy. You can adjust both throws with a simple hex head tool. I haven't fooled with a 1.0 in quite a while, but I'd look into your manual for the "tips from the team" section and see what they suggest.

Originally Posted by lowblktaco
I had a similar noise in my 1.0, but it was when I used brake. Turned out to be the rear diff/pinion was misaligned just a tad. I simply took it apart, cleaned everything up, set the pinion/diff gear mesh and put it back together.

Oh, also check for small rocks in the drivetrain. They can be culprits as well.
+1, dirt can definitely be your enemy.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

The sound when braking only happens when I actually hit my brakes. It sounds like the gears are just stopping and making a sound whn my car is eally still moving
Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Usually you get gear noise from to tight gear mesh, to loose gear mesh, or from worn gears. Also it usually between the bell and spur. Gear misalignment oand the clutch can cause noise also.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Regular

Are you still running the plastic bearing inserts for the rear diff? The stock plastic ones get sloppy and ring and pinion will start to slip. Not sure if that's what your describing, it will sound like a popping sound at first, you will hear it while braking or accelerating through a rough section.

Also, I've never heard of anyone using drag break in 1/8 scale but I guess you could.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gliptal
Are you still running the plastic bearing inserts for the rear diff? The stock plastic ones get sloppy and ring and pinion will start to slip. Not sure if that's what your describing, it will sound like a popping sound at first, you will hear it while braking or accelerating through a rough section.

Also, I've never heard of anyone using drag break in 1/8 scale but I guess you could.

+1 i had the same problem.
new plastic ones will fix it
aluminum ones will last a lot longer.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you're gonna be up @ Wolcott today, I can take a look at things for ya. From what I'm seeing, it doesn't sound like enough people will be there to race as most are either going to RCM or Vineland in NJ. But I am sure that Les will have open practice at the very least.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Did you recently change the clutch or spur?

When I my center diff to the smart diff I heard a noise and it was just a worn clutch to the new spur

it could be that
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

yes I just got a new clutch bell. I will try to re-do my mesh and see what hapens. Also What is the bearing insert?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Actuall I just looked at the exploded view and my bearing inserts were aluminum. I think it may just have been to tight f a mesh. but I just wanted to check
Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
Well, typically on most cars you can insert a flat head screwdriver into one of the sides of the diff, you can look in the light to see which side of the diff has the flat head slot. You generally tighten it to the right to tighten your diff. On your car, there are brakes and drag brake. The Drag brakes are applied when you let off the throttle, which slows the car down and also effects the flight characteristics of your buggy. You can adjust both throws with a simple hex head tool. I haven't fooled with a 1.0 in quite a while, but I'd look into your manual for the "tips from the team" section and see what they suggest.
This sounds like advice for an electric buggy! You can't tighten a 1/8th buggy diff from the outside.

Aside from that, it sounds like a gear mesh issue, it could also lead to the premature death of your clutch bearings. Your clutch bearings would definatly make the noise your talking about when they are almost ready to blow, if they aren't already blown.