Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revo CB/Spur Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default Revo CB/Spur Alignment?

Hey guys, I just pulled the roll bar off of my Revo 3.3 and noticed that the CB and the spur gear don't line up perfectly. Specifically, the CB sits a millimeter or so further back than the spur gear. It's like either the transmission is mounted too far slightly forward or the engine is mounted too far slightly back.

I'm not sure how I could fix this, since the only adjustment that can be made is gear mesh. Are your trucks the same way?

As a side note, I was tuning the engine yesterday in a parking lot, so I was driving the truck with the body off. I overdid the throttle a bit and flipped the truck, causing very minor damage to the plastic cylinder head protector. I guess the plastic piece scrapped the asphalt since the body wasn't on (the roll bar was installed, I took it off afterward). The cylinder head itself appears untouched. Surely this impact didn't cause the alignment of the CB and spur to be thrown off??
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

could be a couple of thing's, from my experience's it would be either a tweaked chassis or broken motor mount....

the motor mount is 3 piece's and attach's to the bulk's as well so it's necessary to remove a few bit's to check it all correctly IMO

plus with the motor/mount completely out of the car you can have a real good look at the chassis, hope it help's....
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by madmaxx
could be a couple of thing's, from my experience's it would be either a tweaked chassis or broken motor mount....

the motor mount is 3 piece's and attach's to the bulk's as well so it's necessary to remove a few bit's to check it all correctly IMO

plus with the motor/mount completely out of the car you can have a real good look at the chassis, hope it help's....
Do you think flipping the truck with the body off could have tweaked the chassis or broke the motor mount? Because that's literally the only thing that has happened that could have damaged the truck. Otherwise, the only thing I've done is driven the truck back and forth in a parking lot to break in and tune the engine.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The chassis could be tweaked even by landing that way. I've seen some older revo's with tweaked chassis from the combination of torque from the motor and running off road and subjecting the truck to some impacts. Also, take into consideration that the motor also uses the chassis as a heat sink which also could be a factor in the aluminum used to bend a little more easily. I would remove the motor and check the area where the motor mounts to the chassis to see the condition of that area. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, so I've pulled the motor off and thoroughly checked everything. I can't find any damage whatsoever to anything.

I called Traxxas and was told to simply loosen the screws that bolt the engine to the mount, then shift it forward and retighten the screws. I told the guy I spoke to that I didn't think there was enough play in those holes to do that, but he assured me there was. So I give that a try and sure enough there is absolutely zero play. I couldn't move the engine forward or back at all.

Now I'm starting to think there's a defective part somewhere. I'm even wondering if the holes on the engine mount were drilled too far back?? Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

to fully check the engine mount you must remove it from the truck completely the mount is made up of 3 part's and all of them are susceptible to breakage.

if the mount is not broken you have a bent chassis. there are no provision's to slide the motor forward/backward in the mount, only up/down....

can you post some pix?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Here are a few pics. Thanks again for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Revo CB/Spur Alignment?-picture-002.jpg   Revo CB/Spur Alignment?-picture-003.jpg  
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

as long as it's not rubbing the filter neck and you aren't chewing spur's you're good to go! just make shure to reset the gear mesh
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looking at the photo, looks like the transmission is ever so slightly turned a little clockwise. I would try loosening the transmission screws and turning transmission counterclockwise. This might get you a better mesh. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLinney
Looking at the photo, looks like the transmission is ever so slightly turned a little clockwise. I would try loosening the transmission screws and turning transmission counterclockwise. This might get you a better mesh. Good luck.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I've tried loosening just about everything at this point to get it aligned better, but the tolerances are just too tight. Nothing will budge. I've checked the chassis from just about every angle possible too and can't see anything that's bent or damaged.

I ran about five tanks through it yesterday, all of which were hard runs, and didn't have any problems. So I guess I'll just live with it.