Wiki Posts
Search

My second blown OS VSPEC in less then a gallon...WTH

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default My second blown OS VSPEC in less then a gallon...WTH

I will never buy a VSPEC again. Man I swear they are junk or I just got a bad couple of batches...

I bought a brand new VSPEC. Break in went smooth and ran great for about a gallon. Then one day I was breaking the motor down for normal maintenance and I found that the top of the piston had a hairline crack in it. Now we all know that OS doesnt offer a "Warratny" cause its a "race" engine. So im fine with that. I bought antoher one of of Ebay that the guy had put a brand new Piston Sleeve in it and had not even broke it in yet.

Got that motor did the break in which was not as smooth as the new one I bought but got it done. Finally got it broken in and started to run really good for about 1/4 gallon.

Yesterday I was at the track and the car was running great. Ran about 5-6 tanks and then noticed that the car got really loud. I was wondering if the RE-11 pipe that I had for it was breaking in or something. But this thing was screaming and very loud.

I get home lastnight and take it apart to inspect and guess what. The bottom of the motor was cracked. Yes the block was craked. The piston was all pitted up at the top and the sleeve was scratched a little..This motor had about 1/4 gallon on it.

The brand new VSPEC that had the craked piston I rebuild with a SPeed piston and sleeve and have not broken that one in yet.

I will never buy another OS engine again..
Sorry so long
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

wow man that sucks i have a v spec and it runs great sorry to hear u haveing problems
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you bought a used engine off of ebay and the block cracked?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
you bought a used engine off of ebay and the block cracked?
Yup. I guess thats the chance you take when buying a used engine..
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

I heard a lot of problems about the Vspec's. I was planning to buy one but I got a Go engine instead, very fast and cheaper than Vsuck's I am ran almost 2 gallon's for now and it is now screamin' as it should be. Next engine will be again a Go-engine. It is a pity that they do not make .67 boat motors.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

If the sleeve was scored and the top of piston/head button pitted then the piston pin retainer wire came out. That's the fault of the person that did the rebuild. I did the same thing to my 1st eb modded v spec. It also cracked the block. I've never heard of a cracked piston in a v spec though.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Rule number one in hard core racing is NEVER buy a USED engine!

The second motor you bought I'm sure had a bad rod or crank. He just did a piston/sleeve change, didn't check anything out and through it on EBay. If the rod and crank go bad you can sure bet the case will crack very soon. Happened to me, but I had 15 gallons on mine, so I'm not going to complain.

The first motor sounds like it was a little lean. Should take about a gallon just to do a break in (heat cycle way). I would also think 7-9 gallons of life is average.

Don't forget these are race motors, not your back yard motors. They need good maintenance, good tuning, and good temps.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket
Rule number one in hard core racing is NEVER buy a USED engine!

Don't forget these are race motors, not your back yard motors. They need good maintenance, good tuning, and good temps.

that is way O.S. does not give a warranty
but that sucks had one go bad on me
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Send it in to Hobbico, I'm sure if its that new they will see that when they open it up. They will take good care off you if its a problem on there end.

These engines are also manufactured on a fast assembly line so not every single one is going to be prefect. There will be some that get by the QC department.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Yo Chris,

Sorry to hear the final analysis of your engine. My first V-spec is still new and I'm hoping I don't have any problems with it.

I'm liking my Go-Tech engine, too, for about 30% less $$. I've got the 7-port on my 8ight-T. You're welcome to drive it next time we meet up and see if you like it. I'm not trying to sell it to you, just saying you could test-drive a Go-Tech in a truggy you're already familiar with.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

At 40,000 rpm everything needs to be within specs. I'm guessing as stated earlier that the crank was worn on the 2nd one and caused it to blow. It is pretty common on the std. V-spec.

Rex
Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

<-------------------

I bought a used p5xs off ebay last october. I raced it 12 times over the winter and the thing ran great, fast and reliable. I didnt flame out once, I sold it on ebay a few weeks ago and got what I paid for it. Now im onto a NR plus 21-4 for this outdoor season, this one new though.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TRIPC
I will never buy a VSPEC again. Man I swear they are junk or I just got a bad couple of batches...

I bought a brand new VSPEC. Break in went smooth and ran great for about a gallon. Then one day I was breaking the motor down for normal maintenance and I found that the top of the piston had a hairline crack in it. Now we all know that OS doesnt offer a "Warratny" cause its a "race" engine. So im fine with that. I bought antoher one of of Ebay that the guy had put a brand new Piston Sleeve in it and had not even broke it in yet.

Got that motor did the break in which was not as smooth as the new one I bought but got it done. Finally got it broken in and started to run really good for about 1/4 gallon.

Yesterday I was at the track and the car was running great. Ran about 5-6 tanks and then noticed that the car got really loud. I was wondering if the RE-11 pipe that I had for it was breaking in or something. But this thing was screaming and very loud.

I get home lastnight and take it apart to inspect and guess what. The bottom of the motor was cracked. Yes the block was craked. The piston was all pitted up at the top and the sleeve was scratched a little..This motor had about 1/4 gallon on it.

The brand new VSPEC that had the craked piston I rebuild with a SPeed piston and sleeve and have not broken that one in yet.

I will never buy another OS engine again..
Sorry so long
Are you running Nitrotane? Please don't break your motors in with that fuel.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

There Have been plenty of posts elswhere about cracked blocks, and OS, not doing anything about it.. I happend to have a vspec parts for sale, including a good block, head, button, and carb ( sleeve), motor is about 1.5-2yrs old, when they were'nt cracking.. PM me if you are interested.. $40 shipped and its yours
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22Racer
At 40,000 rpm everything needs to be within specs. I'm guessing as stated earlier that the crank was worn on the 2nd one and caused it to blow. It is pretty common on the std. V-spec.

Rex
common on v spec's that are not properly maintained, the std v spec is still one of the best engine's made, and with all the issues people post about them, other's read it, and go buy a new one, i have 4 or 5 spec's that are way past a rebuild, but the part's have been maintained and they still win races. and yes, your taking a big chance on buying a used engine, anywhere, ebay or not, if you need a case let me know, we have plenty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.