Wiki Posts
Search

need help choosing a truggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default need help choosing a truggy

hello all. i am in need of some experienced advice! i am about to buy a rtr truggy and have narrowed it down to 2 that i like because they are beasts and a little out of the norm for the track. i have owned the losi 8ight- t. like i want to try something different other that losi or associated, i think but i am thinking about a hot bodies lightning pro 2 or a jammin x2 and keeping them stock for a while and just adding my spektrum system. i will only be doing club racing for fun and some side bashing. can anyone add some insight to either one of these trucks as far as reliability and durability and parts availibility?? any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stay away from the Hotbodied LSP2. There are alot of problems with that truck. With a lot of work you can make it work well on the track but It's not worth the extra $$$ of hop-up parts that are needed. Coming from a 8T it will be a big disappointment.

The Jammin truggy on the other hand should be a very good truck. I don't know much about the X2, but the older CRT was a good truck and I would bet the X2 is even better.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

yeah the x2 looks wicked and seems to be put together well, i think the main issue i will run into is setup. most of the chatter i see on this truck is setup and correstions to fix drivability. i have never seen one run in person. but shame to hear that about the hot bodies. it looks way fast in some of the vids i have seen.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i own the pro version of the jammin and it is pretty much bullet proof, i would imagine the rtr would be similar
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I were you.... coming from a Chub background... I'd want to try a pillow ball setup instead to get a different perspective of handling and durability.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ibmenace
yeah the x2 looks wicked and seems to be put together well, i think the main issue i will run into is setup. most of the chatter i see on this truck is setup and correstions to fix drivability. i have never seen one run in person. but shame to hear that about the hot bodies. it looks way fast in some of the vids i have seen.
That is not the new Hotbodies truck I was talking about. It a slightly altered version of the original LSP. I spent alot of time with that chassis, and it can be made to work good, but out of the box there is no comparison to the Jammin.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

now honestly would you say that the losi 8ight -t or the associated rc8-t is a step above jammin x2. i mean would you consider the jammin under par of these two? i want to run something different than the pack but want to spend wisely also.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

I would say that it should be on par with the 8T and RC8T. They all have their own problems and personnalities, so I wouldn't say one is better than the others, but differant. Personnally I'd go CRT X2 over the RC8T but I'm a little biased by freinds experiences with the RC8s.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the x2 is a really great truck and stupid popular at my local track. Like a couple other guys said stay away from the current HB truck, but if you really want a HB truck they have a D8 based one coming out soon.

Why not the ST-RR?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Schafer
I would say that it should be on par with the 8T and RC8T. They all have their own problems and personnalities, so I wouldn't say one is better than the others, but differant. Personnally I'd go CRT X2 over the RC8T but I'm a little biased by freinds experiences with the RC8s.
I agree with the the RC8T having some crappy things going on but they can be overcome. The RTR has great write ups by several mags and will most likely be faster out of the box as far as handling not the engine . The X2 would be a great buy as long as it has the Big Bore shocks. The stock engine is better than the thunder tiger on the RC8 in power and durability but you will spend more time on set up to get it up to the speed of the RC8T RTR. Alot of people will knock the force engine but dont be swayed by the past. The current force .28 is a beast to be reckoned with. It responds well to pipe and glow plug changes, turns plenty of RPM's and will spin big clutch bells to get it dialed for your local track and it gets pretty good mileage to boot.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

A small addition to the above...I ran my 8T 2.0 roller last week with the very mild stock set up on an indoor track and was up to speed in a couple laps. It drove so well in every area that I had to keep reminding my self that I was racing. I have tweaked it up a little on the set up to get it more aggressive and will try again on the out door track this weekend. I think it is different enough from the 8T 1.0 that you will feel like you have a whole new brand of truck so dont count it out. But I like to race things that are different and this is one of the first times I have hit the track with a ride that everybody else has too.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Kyosho Inferno ST US Sport 2 Ready Set Truggy will probably be the best choice for RTR truggies, if you dont want a Losi or AE
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Kyosho Inferno ST US Sport 2 Ready Set Truggy will probably be the best choice for RTR truggies, if you dont want a Losi or AE
I definately beg to differ. The Kyosho RTR's are complete GARBAGE. They aren't even the same chassis as thier pro kit counterparts, meaning you really can't upgrade them to kit specs even if you wanted to. They also include complete garbage engine, pipe and electronics. Out of your choices I would go with the jammin. However you are really better off with a pro kit/roller if you are going to be racing it. I reccomend the 8T 2.0. IMO it is the best truggy on the market. But if you must stay with an RTR the jammin is a good choice as are the losi and associated. IMO the best RTR truggy is still the 8T RTR. The engine and electronics are at the top of the RTR market. And the RTR and roller parts are completely interchangable, so if and when you break something or just want to upgrade something you can use the pro roller parts. I believe this is the case with the jammin and associated too.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

i do not want to offend anyone but i just for some reason am not to keen on the st or rr. and just to me does not seem as solid or quick as the other truggies mentioned. do not get me wrong i am not a racer yet and do know people that run them and some have vast issues and some do not. they just have not peaked my interest. i just gott offered a trade for a brand new tamiya nitrage and the guy was so offended when i mentioned that it was a nice truggy but not something as competitive as i am interested in getting. he seriously was offended. but thank you all for the input. but more or less what i get is that the x2 is a very capable truggy but maybe upgrad the engine on down the road. and any info on issues with the servos or electronics at all?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

I could have swore that he ask for a RTR....... I didnt say it was good - he wanted a RTR that was not Losi or AE

Me personally - I run ALL Losi and would recomment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.