R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm not excatly sure about eh engine in the CRT X2, but the Macstar engine that came with the RTR CRT was suprizingly good..

The radio and servos are low grade and you'll want to change them out quickly.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic
 
ibmenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

i feel about the same way as you stated it. let me ask one more time though about the hot bodies stadium pro 2 rtr. you guys say to many issues with this new model? correct?
ibmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schafer View Post
I'm not excatly sure about eh engine in the CRT X2, but the Macstar engine that came with the RTR CRT was suprizingly good..

The radio and servos are low grade and you'll want to change them out quickly.
The origional X1 CRT RTR didn't come with the mac star engine. It came with the ofna force .28, which is also a very good RTR engine. I believe that is the same engine that the x2 comes with, just with a different cooling head.

As for the hot bodies, it is nowhere near the same level as the jammin, losi or associated.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Oh yeah. The only significant change from the original LSP was the 17mm hubs. It needed a lot more work than what was done. The price of the Pro2 is pretty cheap. Stock parts are cheap too. For bashing around the house it'll be ok, but as soon as you put it on a track or start to push it hard, your going to find some problems fast. The engine is just ok. And the radio eqipment is low grade.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
The origional X1 CRT RTR didn't come with the mac star engine. It came with the ofna force .28, which is also a very good RTR engine. I believe that is the same engine that the x2 comes with, just with a different cooling head.

As for the hot bodies, it is nowhere near the same level as the jammin, losi or associated.
A couple guys around here got the rtr's when they first came out several years ago, and they had "macstar" (renamed Force maybe, idk) engines. Could have been a running change or something.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schafer View Post
A couple guys around here got the rtr's when they first came out several years ago, and they had "macstar" (renamed Force maybe, idk) engines. Could have been a running change or something.
Well I know the hyper RTR's came with the macstar engine, But I don't think the Jammin's ever did.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
Tech Regular
 
tristyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CRESCENT CITY CA. NORTHERN TIP OF CALIFORNIA
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I'm a Jammin fan but my opinion is don't buy an rtr. If you can steal the receiver, servo's and engine from what ever you have now and buy a pro x2 crt, at least you will get alot of chassis upgrades and then you can buy the engine, servo's etc. as you can afford it. Several years ago I started out with a RTR. The abbreviations for RTR should read (PITA) PAIN IN THE A$$.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic
 
ibmenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

i thanks you all for your time and opinions! it has all been useful. but now comes the issue i knew i was facing in the first place. my lhs only carries losi and associated and keeps them both fully stocked. but hardly any ofna and no jammin at all.
ibmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
xDaRReLLx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 836
Default

Kyosho makes good truggies as well. I'd order your car kit from Amainhobbies instead of your LHS, it may take a few days longer, but it's more convenient. Good luck with your future truggie.
__________________
Hyper 9E 2000KV T8/RX8- 4S Turnigy 4500 mah
Ko ProPo EX-1 UR 2.4 ghz, Hitec-7950TH
xDaRReLLx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmenace View Post
i thanks you all for your time and opinions! it has all been useful. but now comes the issue i knew i was facing in the first place. my lhs only carries losi and associated and keeps them both fully stocked. but hardly any ofna and no jammin at all.
Well then its a no brainier. Losi or associated. I am a Losi guy myself. I used to run only Kyosho, kinda a Kyosho snob like it was the only mfr on the planet, but it was always broken and parts were hard to get and expensive. I dont mind the expensive part but always broken and hard to get parts sucks. My LHS owner made me a smoking deal on a 8ight T that he had sitting in the cabinet for awhile. I went Losi and never looked back. Parts are everywhere and the truck stays together. I pre-ordered the 2.0 and all I can say is what a difference. I am very pleased the 2.0 is better all the way around and parts are almost everywhere give it a month and they will be. In my opinion Losi or associated, I know many racers who love their RC8T. With a big name like Losi or Associated how can you go wrong. But parts support is key, you never know when you are going to break something.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
sickboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,974
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

The CRT X2 is the absolutly the best truggy on the market. I gave up Losi to get mine and wont look back.
__________________
Tamiya America www.tamiyausa.com
Team TRF www.teamtrf.com
Pro-Line www.prolineracing.com
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Well then its a no brainier. Losi or associated. I am a Losi guy myself. I used to run only Kyosho, kinda a Kyosho snob like it was the only mfr on the planet, but it was always broken and parts were hard to get and expensive. I dont mind the expensive part but always broken and hard to get parts sucks. My LHS owner made me a smoking deal on a 8ight T that he had sitting in the cabinet for awhile. I went Losi and never looked back. Parts are everywhere and the truck stays together. I pre-ordered the 2.0 and all I can say is what a difference. I am very pleased the 2.0 is better all the way around and parts are almost everywhere give it a month and they will be. In my opinion Losi or associated, I know many racers who love their RC8T. With a big name like Losi or Associated how can you go wrong. But parts support is key, you never know when you are going to break something.
+1 what he said. I would take a serious look at the losi 2.0. IMO it is much cheaper in the end to go with a pro kit/roller. You will dump more money into the RTR in the end, and still won't have what you would if you just went with the pro. Plus the 2.0T is THE truggy right now, and I don't see that changing for some time. Associated is ok, but you have to realize that they are made by Thunder Tiger. The stock RTR engine is garbage. I personally saw a conrod snap in one 2 weeks ago. The engine had about 1 gallon on it. Associated's also have stupid problems, like leaky fuel tanks ans just the general Thunder Kitty BS. I'm obviously a losi fan, but for a reason. I have had great experiences with them. They make a great product and stand behind it. Plus as Frank L said parts support is crazy good. Almost every hobby shop on the planet orders from horizon, even if they don't stock all of the parts, they can most likely get them.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic
 
ibmenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

still have not made my mind up! i just have 2 more question to ask i think. but what do you guys say about the associated rc8t rtr, seems sharp but i hate the black shocks and towers look frail. and the new losi 8ight t 2.0, well nuff said but the blue shock towers look cheap also. and would tou guys expect it will have the same servo issues because of the radio tray again?
ibmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #29
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmenace View Post
still have not made my mind up! i just have 2 more question to ask i think. but what do you guys say about the associated rc8t rtr, seems sharp but i hate the black shocks and towers look frail. and the new losi 8ight t 2.0, well nuff said but the blue shock towers look cheap also. and would tou guys expect it will have the same servo issues because of the radio tray again?
Not sure which losi you are talking about? The 8T 2.0 has CNC's black annodized towers. It is not yet available in an RTR version(8B 2.0 RTR has blue towers). The T 2.0 is a great truck. If you are willing to get a pro kit/roller, that would be the best thing. There really never were servo problems in any of the losi's. All came from poor setup of the servos/linkages/EPA's, and using crappy servos. The radio tray flex problem has been solved with the 2.0, so it is even more solid now if you set it up correctly.

As for the associated, it looks pretty solid. I hate the plastic shock bodies though. Seems to me that they would wear out pretty quickly, and keep alot of heat in the oil being that they are plastic(insulator). I know the engine is pretty crappy too(thunder tiger pro .28) and the electronics aren't great from what I have heard.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic
 
ibmenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

yes that is correct i did see the blue shock towers on the buggy, and automatily assumed they would also be releasing a truggy version at the same time as that is what a friend told me. and i just took a quick glance at the rc8t, plastic what the heck, that will not work. i would probally buy the rc8t if it had the rc8 buggy shocks. keep in mind i am at this moment mainly looking for rtr and amm trying but finding it hard to stay in or under a $600.00 price range. it is not working out. one has something the other does not. i want the best band for my buck but it looks like i may have to get it by buying used and hope the person is being honest as far as engine life and general solidarity of the truggy. but i have bought alot of vehicles new and like knowing what is going on with it from the very beginning. oh and a guy i know offered me a mugen mbx5t and may be willing to throw in a futaba 4pk. i have never messed with mugen at all. is the parts support out there for this version? and will it run with the more modern and just came out in the last year models?
ibmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
choosing a buggy??? rc_speed Nitro Off-Road 6 06-19-2008 04:52 PM
what truggy should i get? busta774 Nitro Off-Road 19 02-26-2008 06:40 PM
need some suggestions reptilesnr/c Monster Trucks 22 01-15-2007 06:02 PM
LST2 or Revo 3.3? D_o_S Monster Trucks 67 09-04-2006 06:22 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net