R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
I don't really get this (copied from murnanmodified.com):

3.) Next, with a fully engaged clutch, run the car at a very rich setting for about 750cc of fuel. Make sure the car is very slow at full throttle, and lots of smoke at this stage. If the car wants to go fast at this stage richen the main needle until the car makes lots of smoke, but does not move fast. Maximum R.P.M should be about 15,000 at this point. Let the engine cool again. Running temperatures during this stage will be between 150-170 degrees F.

How can we run the car very slow at full throttle? And how can we measure RPM?

Thanks
I wouldnt use that break in method. I wouldnt dare run my engines at 150 degrees (if i could keep it running), let alone the most important tanks of my engine. At 150, the piston/sleeve doesnt expand and is very bad for the con rod. You want to get it around 200-240 for break in.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
aaah...I see...that should be heavily bogs right? Because it's in WOT postion I guess...btw how slow if measured in mph?
Not sure about the speed, but if you're WOT and bogging it shouldn't be very fast...just make sure you have a bunch of running room.

But as Chris_RC notes, the heat seems a bit low for a motor that should ultimate be running somewhere between 200-240 degrees.

Break-in methods are hotly debated in all forms of motor sports, nitro is no different.

I personally stick w/ tried and true methods and leave the pioneering to others.
Czolgosz is offline   Reply With Quote