Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
My Homemade tire balancer....check it out!!!! >

My Homemade tire balancer....check it out!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Homemade tire balancer....check it out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How much do these big props weight ? I find it hard to believe a prop/blade would weight more then 200g.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

This may be a stupid question but... What clay do you use?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

NON Hardening modeling clay/
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Why not mount it the right way ? do you have a specific reason to run the balancer like that ? Ive never seen it done like that with the dubro.
i did it like that simply because its easy. i guess 2 outsides are just as easy as well, but i dunno.. its just how ive done it.

it always works well, 1 out 8 tires are ok, but 7 others take putty. i don't know about false reads.. and about stress on the rod. the rod doesn't break, and it doesn't give me false reads.. so its working for me. i dunno what to tell you.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sylvain
This may be a stupid question but... What clay do you use?

duct seal. commonly found in the electrical isle at the hardware store. its what i use.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by builtb16a
i did it like that simply because its easy. i guess 2 outsides are just as easy as well, but i dunno.. its just how ive done it.

it always works well, 1 out 8 tires are ok, but 7 others take putty. i don't know about false reads.. and about stress on the rod. the rod doesn't break, and it doesn't give me false reads.. so its working for me. i dunno what to tell you.

Of coarse the rod wont break but your applying unneeded force to the disc's & rod and therefor could get the odd false reading when doing the final balance test.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
Of coarse the rod wont break but your applying unneeded force to the disc's & rod and therefor could get the odd false reading when doing the final balance test.
i guess the only way to really find out is sending the topic to mythbusters.. lol

either way, my setup, or both outsides, with tire centered in the middle.. i can't see it having more friction on the disks, making a false read, when its obviously working. is it less friction on the axis of the metal disks, than your setup, possibly... but is it negotiable that my tire is ''unbalanced'' compared to your setup.. doubt it. anything is better than nothing.

we're talking, non balanced, to something is better than nothing. ive never had a crazy wobbly wheel in mid air.. so im not going to change whats already working for me.

if your method works, cool.. mine does too.. if its not broke, don't try and fix it. still, its better than nothing at all. also, we're talking grams.. i doubt if anything you or I are that far off from eachother. 50% +/-.. yeah i would think you got a point.. i doubt its anywhere close to that far off.