R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
ya sorry I did miss one. When you say the sun gear you mean the gear that is on the side of the diff where you woudnt pour your diff oil into correct? The thing is I couldnt get the sun gear out? Do I just pull hard or do you remove the pin and then the sun gear? Any specefic ttype of grease tp use becauase I dont have any?
Yes the sun gear is inside the diff case(where the oil goes). Sometimes the sun gears are quite hard to get off, and the pin is under it. I usually use a good pair of needle nose pliers and a strong grip to pull the gear up off the shaft.

A good automotive type grease works well. Avoid silicone type greases.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

so basically you just yank it off? Will you need to take a pin out first or just pull the sun gear off? What are signs of my driveshaft or the cups that my driveshafts go into being worn? What should I look for?
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
What do you mean by foward side? Would that be the side closest to the chassis (vise versa?)? What washer should I use. The washers I have now are too small.
You'll have to find a washer that fit's, maybe at the local hardware store. You also may be able to enlarge the hole in a washer you do have.

I am assuming that we are talking about the inner hinge pins and the gap between the arm and arm mount. Is that correct? If so, place the washer or shim between the forward mount and the arm. The reason to place the washer in this position is, as you accelerate, the force applied to the arm forces the arm forward. As the arm slides forward on the hinge pin and contacts the forward arm mount a lot of friction is produced between the arm and mount acting to bind the suspention. If you put the washer between the arm and forward mount, the washer acts as a bearing, reducing friction between the parts and allows the arm to pivot easier and with less wear.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

last q before I go to sleep. Where do I put the shims on my center differential?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
so basically you just yank it off? Will you need to take a pin out first or just pull the sun gear off? What are signs of my driveshaft or the cups that my driveshafts go into being worn? What should I look for?
You have to pull the gear to get to the pin.

Your cups will get notches in the slits where the driveshaft pin rides, and the pin will develope flat spots. You should get through several gallons through the car before the wheel drive shafts get bad. There's a lot more stress on the center shafts, and the front has a much steeper angle, making it wear fastest.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
last q before I go to sleep. Where do I put the shims on my center differential?
You usually do not shim the center diff. Sometimes you can shim the internal gears, but on the Losi it's not a very common practice.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

ok great, I think I will get some spare drive shafts.

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Quote:
ok great, I think I will get some spare drive shafts.

Thanks for all your help!!
I'd wait on getting the drive shafts. They'll hold up for some time. Just keep checking the front after each day of running. Instead get a cvd rebuild kit, it's also much cheaper. You'll be glad you had it if you loose a cvd pin, and it will keep you racing if the front cvd joint fails.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

sorry I just though of one more unrelated question. Does the 22.0 radio tray bolt right in on the 1.0?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #40
Tech Regular

From what I've read, yes, but you need to do some dremel work to the chassis for the throttle servo.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
sorry I just though of one more unrelated question. Does the 22.0 radio tray bolt right in on the 1.0?
You need to get the 2.0 linkage also.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys,

so I was insecting my parts for slop today and found that my shocks were good but I noticed that my spur gear does slightly move back and forth, maybe 2 millimeters. Not enough to get off the clutch bell though, is this ok. Also I noticed my rear center outdrive had up and down and let and right play but nothing more than 3 to 4 millimeters. Is this fine?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hey guys,

so I was insecting my parts for slop today and found that my shocks were good but I noticed that my spur gear does slightly move back and forth, maybe 2 millimeters. Not enough to get off the clutch bell though, is this ok. Also I noticed my rear center outdrive had up and down and let and right play but nothing more than 3 to 4 millimeters. Is this fine?
Your car should still be pretty tight I would think. How much runtime do you have on it?

My center diff moves front to back about .5mm. You may be ok with 2mm of play but maybe you should look at where the extra play is comming from (bearings, mounts) and see if you can reduce the play some. You don't want it tight but just a bit of play.

Which end of the rear center drive shaft had that much slop? If it was at the drive cup for the center diff, it sounds normal. With fresh parts you still get 2-3 mm of side play. If the slop was at the CVD end, you need to take a closer look to find where the play is coming from. The joint, bearings, bearing bosses in the gearbox, or a combination of things could cause the amount of play your describing.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #44
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schafer View Post
From what I've read, yes, but you need to do some dremel work to the chassis for the throttle servo.
If you buy the 2.0 side guard no dremel work is needed. The 2.0 radio tray, 2.0 linkage and the side guards bolt directly on with perfect fit. I just got done doing this.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #45
Tech Fanatic

I was just grabbing the cup where the shaft goes into and wiggling it back and forth, thats normal right? It has about 4 gallons on it?