R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sorry noob question but whats the difference, arent the shocks part of the suspension?
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Also How will I know if my diff is shimmed correctly and if its not how do you shim it? My clutch bell is shimmed right though.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
sorry noob question but whats the difference, arent the shocks part of the suspension?
The shocks are the actual shocks itself. The suspension is the arms and hinge pins (in short). So you need to remove the shocks to see if the suspension is smooth (i.e. dropping the arms and there should be no resistence).

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Also How will I know if my diff is shimmed correctly and if its not how do you shim it? My clutch bell is shimmed right though.
Here are the diff shims, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/30455. You need to shim the diff when you can hear the outdrives wobble from side to side. Dont take my word on those diff shims if they will fit though.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

oh ok well I actually removed my shocks today for a nice cleaning and actually did this for no reason other than interest. I didnt know what I was doing but it all felt smooth. So when we are talking about the play are we talking about when the shocks are removed how much play the arm has up and down??
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I get it now I will check tomorrow. Another question, my outdrives do have some up and down play but not much side to side play at all, is this normal? Also when I took my scenter diff out I couldnt get the bearings out, any ideas how?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
I get it now I will check tomorrow. Another question, my outdrives do have some up and down play but not much side to side play at all, is this normal? Also when I took my scenter diff out I couldnt get the bearings out, any ideas how?
The vice is your friend.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
yes im familiar with that. I have been taking my clutch off every 1 hour of run time and relubricating and cleaning the bearings and I havent seen any burs on the shoes yet.

Also when you say the shocks shouldnt move up and down? Are we talking about where the top of the shock bolts onto the shock tower because wouldnt the only play there be left and right?

Also when you say any play in the diff outdrives. I took my center diff out to change oil and check bearings. When I took it out I couldnt figure out how to get the bearings off? Also my outdrives seem to have a bit of up and down play but not really left and right play, what does this mean?
On the shocks, I'm talking about a differance in diameter of the plastic bushing and the I.D. of the hole in the shock cap. On the shock tower mount.

On the diffs, some side to side (or up and down) play of the outdrive is normal. You just want to make sure the diff itself isn't moving (sloppy bearing or sloppy fit between bearing and mount or gearbox) side to side. Some in and out movement of the outdrives is also normal. Your looking for an abnormal amount of play that would indicate a problem.

To get the bearings off the diff housings, you need to split the diff, remove the sun gear and drive pin, and slide the drive cup out of the diff half or gear. Then you can remove the bearing. On a side note here, be sure when reassembling the diff, put a little grease on the gear or diff half were the bearing seats before installing the bearing. It prevents the bearing from seizing in place. Also apply plenty of grease the shaft of the drive cup before reinstalling it.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

I couldnt figure out how to get the outdrives out though so I can pull the bearing. The seemed fine so I didnt really mess with it long but is there a pin or something? Also is the tiny up and down play normal?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
On a side note, when i first got the buggy I sanded down the arms a little bit so an o ring could fit to make the wheelbase longer (BAD idea). There is like 2mm of slop in the rear arms. Should I just put the o ring on each side, or run it with the slop?
Don't use an "O" ring. Add a washer on the forward side of the arm, but don't shim it tight. Leave a little play. If the washer fits to tight let the arm wear a little more or sand a little more material off the arm.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

I couldnt figure out how to get the outdrives out though so I can pull the bearing. The seemed fine so I didnt really mess with it long but is there a pin or something? Also is the tiny up and down play normal?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yes there is a pin inside the diff through the shaft.

Tiny amount of play is normal.

Please read the post carefully. Seems your missing things that have been written in the previous posts. I hate having to retype the same thing. I suck at typing and I'm very slow at it. If you dont understand that's fine, go ahead and ask.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

ya sorry I did miss one. When you say the sun gear you mean the gear that is on the side of the diff where you woudnt pour your diff oil into correct? The thing is I couldnt get the sun gear out? Do I just pull hard or do you remove the pin and then the sun gear? Any specefic ttype of grease I should use becauase I dont have any? Also were would I put the shims?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schafer View Post
Don't use an "O" ring. Add a washer on the forward side of the arm, but don't shim it tight. Leave a little play. If the washer fits to tight let the arm wear a little more or sand a little more material off the arm.
What do you mean by foward side? Would that be the side closest to the chassis (vise versa?)? What washer should I use. The washers I have now are too small.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It was not so much breaking parts for me as it was wearing them out. I'd be replacing one worn out part and notice all the connecting or surrounding parts were also worn out. Every time I ran it something wore out.

They go like stink and there's a reason why they win virtually everything in the North American scene, but just be prepared to replace stuff.

You may not be breaking things, but all those tumbles are adding up and soon enough you'll be doing full rebuilds.