Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Steering Servo Question - Input Needed Please >

Steering Servo Question - Input Needed Please

Steering Servo Question - Input Needed Please

Old 03-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Steering Servo Question - Input Needed Please

If you've upgraded steering servos, say from a 150 oz -in servo to a 300 oz-in servo, have you noticed a difference in performance? If so, how?

I run 6 volts and I am considering changing from a Hitec 5645 (160 oz -in) to Hitec 7955 (333 oz -in). It's hard to tell while the car is on the track, but my suspicion is that the current servo is having difficult turning the steering in rough/bad condition. Centering also seems poor. It's fine with the car on the bench, but who knows what's happening on the track?

Is it worth $100 to upgrade? I have a Hyper 7 PBS buggy.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You will notice a difference in handling as the 300 OZ servo stays where you put it with your radio, and 150 OZ servo will be bouncy under the load from racing, and the tires will move..Make sure your end points are set correctly and you can also now tighten up your servo saver a tad. The difference is most certainly noticeable, and worth it..For Throttle I go more for speed than torque, but wont dip below 100 oz.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I too agree that you will see a change in turn in and how it holds the turn. This will be more noticeable when the traction is up or your truck hits ruts and bumps. Also if the servo you are currently using is not a digital, then the holding power of the servo upgrade will also show too since there will be increase in holding power.

Jaz has you going in the right direction for the throttle/brake servo specs, speed for throttle/brake with a minimum of 100oz of torque. The speed is for throttle response, torque for you to have some braking power.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i think the focus here shouldn't be IF there is a noticeable difference, it should be, how big is the difference and is it worth spending $100 bucks for a new servo?! especially if you are a weekend racer on an amateur level...

G

p.s. dude A has $50 million bucks and dude B has 75$ million. there is a difference but i am sure you can survive with $50 million. you know what i mean?!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by assivaen
i think the focus here shouldn't be IF there is a noticeable difference, it should be, how big is the difference and is it worth spending $100 bucks for a new servo?! especially if you are a weekend racer on an amateur level...

G

p.s. dude A has $50 million bucks and dude B has 75$ million. there is a difference but i am sure you can survive with $50 million. you know what i mean?!

Point taken. Trouble with that question is that the answer is different for everyone. It may be worth it to someone and not someone else.

As far as "weekend racing" goes, my theory is that the less talent you have, the better equipment you need to make up for it.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Point taken. Trouble with that question is that the answer is different for everyone. It may be worth it to someone and not someone else.

As far as "weekend racing" goes, my theory is that the less talent you have, the better equipment you need to make up for it.
There is not only a difference in performance, there is also a difference in durability. I have the "old version" (5955) on my Truggy. Night and day difference from the weaker servos (even when I was running it in a buggy...) And I'm not having to replace servos every few months. It is worth every penny.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

i have a 5645MG in my losi 8T that i had for at least 5 years in my e-maxx. it was really abused and the servo could be theoretically replaced. it still works fine though, so i don't have to replace it, i wont...
at the same time, i understand if you want to get a better servo. look at mine, it lasted for ever. so if you get something new, you can always keep it for the next project...

G

p.s. you can get platinum servos made by rolex, it will not make you a better driver
Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

There is also another option, which is to pick up a used 5955 for around $50-$60. Makes the decision much easier, I think.

As far as servos making people better drivers, I'll tell you from experience flying power planes that when I switched wing servos in my 27% ship (from cheap analog to high torque digital), it was much easier to control the plane on the roll axis and definitely made me (at least *look like*) a better pilot.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
There is also another option, which is to pick up a used 5955 for around $50-$60. Makes the decision much easier, I think.

As far as servos making people better drivers, I'll tell you from experience flying power planes that when I switched wing servos in my 27% ship (from cheap analog to high torque digital), it was much easier to control the plane on the roll axis and definitely made me (at least *look like*) a better pilot.
I've seen you fly, remember?!
G
Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I run a JR Z9100T in my Truggy thats 370oz of torque. It definately makes a difference in durability and steering ability. If you are trying to push the limits of your talent. You need equipment that allows you the ability to expand your talent or atleast attempt to. Every try to go into a power slide at full speed with a weak servo. It's impossible to straighten the wheel out in the middle of the slide. Spend the money you want regret it. It's never a mistake to spend good money on basic equipment i.e. Tires, servos, engines, clutches, radio. Things that directly correspond to the ride and the controller.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by assivaen
I've seen you fly, remember?!
G

And I've seen YOU drive.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vladconnery
I run a JR Z9100T in my Truggy thats 370oz of torque. It definately makes a difference in durability and steering ability. If you are trying to push the limits of your talent. You need equipment that allows you the ability to expand your talent or atleast attempt to. Every try to go into a power slide at full speed with a weak servo. It's impossible to straighten the wheel out in the middle of the slide. Spend the money you want regret it. It's never a mistake to spend good money on basic equipment i.e. Tires, servos, engines, clutches, radio. Things that directly correspond to the ride and the controller.
i agree with you, if you have the money to spend it, DO IT!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEB21
And I've seen YOU drive.
LOL
Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

I run Jr Z9100S and Z9100T servos in my buggy and couldn't be happier.They are alittle pricey,but it is cheaper to buy good servos once instead of buying junk servos over and over again.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I suggest you put the servo you have on your throttle and swap the 7955 to steering. You will realize sooner or later that electronics is not the place you want to save $ at. No one on here will tell you that it is either well anyone that knows what they are talking about

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.