A/C plug in starter box >

A/C plug in starter box

Like Tree6Likes

A/C plug in starter box

Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default A/C plug in starter box

I have an OFNA chrome top starter box and I'd like to be able to plug it into an A/C outlet. The battery setup I have works ok and seems to last at least through a night of racing, but it would be nice to not have to worry about that, especially since my local track has outlets.

I'm looking for what kind of amps the motor requires....I figure I would just find an adaptor to match.

Has anyone else done this? I did a few searches, but only came up with lipo info.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A 50 amp supply would cover it and also make your wallet 200 plus dollars lighter. It would also be in a box the size and weight of a starter box with a 12v gel cell in it.
Another option would require a motor swap. A small ac motor swap with the mounting troubles associated with it are most likley beyond your skill level now. I'm not saying your a idiot. You may be able to invest the time and learn whats needed and get the job done. But once completed you now have a device that could electrocute your pitman if the wires burned up.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

fatwreck , where do you race ? LH ? You should go check out Thunder Road sometime this summer , they are in Moline , but worth the drive . I live about 10 minutes from Ottawa .
All starter boxes run off 12 volts DC only as the motors ar D/C motors and can not be powered by an A/C supply . Most tracks don`t have outlets at the starting table . If you have a good battery and maintain it it will last you a couple of race days before needing charged . Putting in an A/C motor will be highly unlikely as one that can handle the amps and torque would not fit in a starter box .
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yup, I'm at LH. No racing yet...just practicing. I know the motor is DC. I was thinking about using an AC adaptor. It would have to be 12V and probably 7 amps...not sure. That's quite a bit for an adaptor.

It's just a thought that I was throwing out there to make my life a little easier.

The battery in my starter box is on its way out. I either need a new one or a way to hook up to AC.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fatwreck
I have an OFNA chrome top starter box and I'd like to be able to plug it into an A/C outlet. The battery setup I have works ok and seems to last at least through a night of racing, but it would be nice to not have to worry about that, especially since my local track has outlets.

I'm looking for what kind of amps the motor requires....I figure I would just find an adaptor to match.

Has anyone else done this? I did a few searches, but only came up with lipo info.
a 25 amp power supply will work just fine, I used one for two years racing indoors and never had any problems, you can find them used pretty reasonable, 50 to 100 bucks.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Only problem with that is now there is something else to drag to the track .
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i like the gel cell in the starter box, it lasts for several days of racing and i plug in my ice charger to the gel cell to charge my receiver packs so i don't need a power supply or power to my pits, makes life much easier.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Only one thing comes to mind when I read this.................................WHY??
Chris Reilly and token like this.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by elcaminosslover
Only one thing comes to mind when I read this.................................WHY??
Why would I want to deal with battery maintenance and lugging around the extra weight, when I could possibly use a simple a/c cord to plug into an outlet that is 1 ft away from where I set my starter box every time I use it?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Charging a battery is too much maintenance for you ? Extra weight ? Converting to be able to plug into a wall will weigh more then a little battery .

If maintenance is a problem for you them maybe you should not be in this hobby . There are far more maintenance needs that require more time then charging a battery .

To reduce weight you could use a lipo battery instead of the gell cell which is much lighter . But then again you still have to take 10 seconds to hook it up to a charger .
Chris Reilly and token like this.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

The second post has it all down. this is a bit of a strange idea when a 12V 7Ah gel cell sells for about $20.

If you REALLY want to use an adapter, make sur it puts out enough current. This depends on what are your starting box's motor(s) specs. Think about it this way: if the flywheel locks (typically, breaking in an engine will do that quite a bit in the beginning), the whole thing is short circuited and I betcha a big startbox motor will pull at least the aforementionned 50A for the second or two it takes you to realize this is happening.

Paul
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's really not that big of a deal. It was just something I was thinking about and thought I would ask. I'm fine with getting a new battery and taking care of the charging. It's not too much maintenance for me and I'm certainly not leaving the hobby. Thank you for reminding me to follow the herd...I don't know what I would have done without you guys.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you for reminding me to follow the herd...I don't know what I would have done without you guys.
Amen to that. Wouldn't want to innovate anything because this hobby is definitely known for its stagnation. Layoff. We'd all be putzing around with batteries still and worrying about where to charge them and not about lugging them in a starter box if someone didn't say what if?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Innovation is one thing , but must be kept in perspective . What he wants to do contradicts his reasons for doing so .
Chris Reilly likes this.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's really not that big of a deal. It was just something I was thinking about and thought I would ask. I'm fine with getting a new battery and taking care of the charging. It's not too much maintenance for me and I'm certainly not leaving the hobby. Thank you for reminding me to follow the herd...I don't know what I would have done without you guys.
A reply or two may have sounded harsh and perhaps unnecessary, but people are replying to your question with good info.

I was frustrated like you for a while. But I read good things about the Ofna Truggy box (the solid blue one, not chrome top). I bought that and also replaced the old 12v gel-cell I was using with a new one. My troubles are over! I can start brand new engines on it all weekend long (heating the engine first, of course) and others at the track use my box, too. My old box and battery struggled to start worn out and loose engines.

I modded my truggy box by putting a DC jack on the side of it. It simplifies charging because I don't have to open the box to charge the battery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.