Search

1/8 buggies help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default 1/8 buggies help

Hi,

I am just getting into the 1/8 scale, currently running 1/10 scale. I need some input on some 1/8 buggies.

Since i am starting out, i do not need the latest and greatest models, just something competitive, not because i dont have the money, but i need something more to learn on and practice on.

I was referred to someone locally who is looking to downsize.

He offered to sell me a, Mugen mbx5, OFNA LX1, and two sportswerks mayhems.

I know these are older buggies, but i figure they would do for a season or two.

Just wanting some input on what would be the best choice, the mbx5, the lx1or the mayhem.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

The Mugen would be my pick, the rest are garbage and discontinued. On the other hand used stuff is always a gamble and for a first timer I would rather see you buy a losi 2.0 rtr and have a fresh start so your learning experience is enjoyable and not spent fixing someone elses headache.

This is a great start IMO and comes with the essentials EVEN a radio!!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

These ain't bad for the price. Hyper 7 still does great or hyper 8 if looking new and rtr. You will replace servos either way, even with the losi... But the losi is the best outta all the rtr's

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Radio-Mach-28

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-w-Macstar-28

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fieldmarshal
Hi,

I am just getting into the 1/8 scale, currently running 1/10 scale. I need some input on some 1/8 buggies.

Since i am starting out, i do not need the latest and greatest models, just something competitive, not because i dont have the money, but i need something more to learn on and practice on.

I was referred to someone locally who is looking to downsize.

He offered to sell me a, Mugen mbx5, OFNA LX1, and two sportswerks mayhems.

I know these are older buggies, but i figure they would do for a season or two.

Just wanting some input on what would be the best choice, the mbx5, the lx1or the mayhem.

Thanks.
DON'T buy used, you would be better off and happier with the losi RTR, I had one the motors are good motors and when you get better put a turbo head conversion on it and you can run with the big dogs and alot cheaper. The only thing I saw was after a few crashes the servo's will go out, so go ahead and get you some good ones if you have the cash. i recommend High Voltage and a lipo Battery. And pick up a good battery charger that will charge lipo's. Venom has a good one with all the leads you need to charge every battery out there, Thats just what ive learned!!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the suggestions, i will definitely do some research on those RTR's.

As for buying used, the only reason i considered it is because, the guy has over 40 RC's, and is looking to seriously downsize, and is willing to give me a good deal on many of them. So i figured, even if its junk, i wont be down the hole too much. And if i do get any from him, it would be as rollers, and i would add my own servo's, electronics and engine.

As for the mugen mbx5, would that be competitive today, since i know the mbx6 has been out for a while, and do they use many common parts, so parts availablity is not a big issue?

-Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking

Originally Posted by Fieldmarshal
Thanks for the suggestions, i will definitely do some research on those RTR's.

As for buying used, the only reason i considered it is because, the guy has over 40 RC's, and is looking to seriously downsize, and is willing to give me a good deal on many of them. So i figured, even if its junk, i wont be down the hole too much. And if i do get any from him, it would be as rollers, and i would add my own servo's, electronics and engine.

As for the mugen mbx5, would that be competitive today, since i know the mbx6 has been out for a while, and do they use many common parts, so parts availablity is not a big issue?

-Thanks.
honestly never owned a Mugen, got a few friends with them. But starting out you almost make any buggy competitive, just depends on the money you want to spend. You just need to get a buggy learn all you can(break it down, clean it what ever) and just drive. Get use to the throttle/Brakes, turning just the whole car then work on getting faster and the guy you are thinking of buying from sounds like a good guy to learn alot from
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

I would suggest buying whatever the local racers are commonly running to help with setup of the car. Also there will likely be better parts support at the local hobby shop.

I also suggest buying a kit. Once you put the car together it will be a lot easier to do maintenance on it since you know how everything went together.

If money is no option, I would suggest either a new X-ray 808 '11 or a Mugen MBX6 if you have local parts support. If not then, whatever you can get parts for locally.

My first 1/8 buggy was a X-ray. They are arguably the most durable buggies available. With numerous crashes learning how to drive, I only broke one screw during the 2 years I raced it. They can be a handful on rough tracks though.

Mugen has very good parts support at most places. Durability is very good as well. I am currently racing a MBX6, and it is by far the most forgiving car I have ever drove. Buy the kit!

Do not buy a used kit or a cheap non competitive one or you will be upgrading before you know it at a considerable loss. Also older kits may be hard to find parts for.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Locally, Losi's and Mugens seem to be popular for the 1/8 scale cars. I see what people are saying, getting a used older kit maybe more money down the road. I will do some more research before deciding on anything.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I sorta disagree.
A used buggy can be a very good buy if the seller is an experienced racer who overservices his car and replaces parts before they are totally worn out.

It is also obviously a good idea to tear it down and replace fluids and bearings - which has anothe rbenefit, it forces the new owner to learn about the buggy, which you don't get with a RTR. RTR's cause a bit of slackness in that department
Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

i agree get a mugen mbx6 they are best and great to drive and handle
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Rookie

I couldn't agree more, there is no problem with used cars at all because the price can be just right. Do some research and see what parts are supported and then go for it used. I have been away from RC racing for a long time and even managed a few hobby shops in the past and you can score huge going used. I just picked up a Losi 8ight 2.0 on eBay for $200, everything included except the radio and the car is in great shape. When you get the car pull it apart and rebuild the diffs and shocks... Then take the money you saved and get a great radio that you can grow with. All said and done you can spend about $400 bucks and have a car that you can race or just run at the local track. The nice thing about the Losi is the RTR is almost bulletproof when cared for and can be had for a song. Plus it's easy to find parts for. Even if money is no object I would still choose a Losi and tear it apart just so you know how to put it back together again. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Honestly buy a hot bodies hara edition d8, alpha engine and pipe combo, good servos and radio gear and u have a great, reliable, and cheap buggy with tons of mods out of the box. My best thing to tell u is spend big first because it will save you head aches and alot more then buying used or a rtr....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

Originally Posted by RCMD
I would suggest buying whatever the local racers are commonly running to help with setup of the car. Also there will likely be better parts support at the local hobby shop.

I also suggest buying a kit. Once you put the car together it will be a lot easier to do maintenance on it since you know how everything went together.

If money is no option, I would suggest either a new X-ray 808 '11 or a Mugen MBX6 if you have local parts support. If not then, whatever you can get parts for locally.

My first 1/8 buggy was a X-ray. They are arguably the most durable buggies available. With numerous crashes learning how to drive, I only broke one screw during the 2 years I raced it. They can be a handful on rough tracks though.

Mugen has very good parts support at most places. Durability is very good as well. I am currently racing a MBX6, and it is by far the most forgiving car I have ever drove. Buy the kit!

Do not buy a used kit or a cheap non competitive one or you will be upgrading before you know it at a considerable loss. Also older kits may be hard to find parts for.
Exactly what he said...

The xray is easy to drive fast. It's reliable and easy to work on and rebuild....

The only problem with x ray is no e bay parts are available. when those axles wear out, it's pretty horrible to buy the parts.....but then again I keep my cars longer than most...

the mugen is bombproof, but it's not always the fastest car unless you know how to tune....Not like you won't learn though right, and the parts can be had really cheap on ebay, whole diffs for 35 bucks and so on....

the point is, I don't care if you are a beginner or expert, go ahead and get a real race buggy...They last longer, drive better and you can get whatever electronics you want and especially a decent engine......

and it's not like there arent tons of buggies on the market..
It's and awesome time to get in on 1/8th scale....
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Save your money and buy your buggy new. You don't know the condition of the car/engine. HPI makes affordable RTR 1/8 nitro buggies so does OFNA with its hyper series.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

if your gonna go used, go for the mugen.... easy to drive hard and built like a tank!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.