R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default RC8 setup Info??

Im running the AE 16mm Big Bore's Shocks with the FT front shock tower and im running the Truggy rear tower.

What have you found for the best setup with the rear Truggy tower?

Im running in the rear with truggy tower
1.3mm x 6 pistons
29mm shafts
38mm bodies
Black Springs
35wt AE Oil
No internal limiters
Also running the front lower shock mounts for the rear..

The only diffrence from my set up and the Mayfield's set up is that he is running 1.4 pistons instead of 1.3's

And on the front im running
1.3mm x 6 pistons
30wt oil
Bronze springs
2mm internal limiters

Ride height around 28mm front and rear

What do you think about this set up?

Im running on a pretty smooth blue groove indoor track
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Try this and move into the RC8 thread for more questions next....
Attached Thumbnails
RC8 setup Info??-joeys-leisure-3-29-2009.jpg  

Last edited by JoeyTheRocket; 03-31-2009 at 08:15 AM.
JoeyTheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Are you running 29mm shafts in the rear with 38mm bodies?

And your running the new Towers that are not out yet?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

38mm shafts, rear stand offs and the towers I made.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Is your rear tower spec's close to the Truggy? I wonder why Mayfield is runing 29mm shafts on the rear?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC8racer View Post
Is your rear tower spec's close to the Truggy? I wonder why Mayfield is runing 29mm shafts on the rear?
He is not anymore, due to the fact that the new towers allow you to run all the stock parts, and require different internal shock limiting.

I would encourage everyone to just wait on the AE product so you know you can compare exact set-ups. When running shock locations all over the place it drastically changes other things you may not realize. Limiting, downtravel, uptravel, oil, piston, all these need to change if the shocks are not relativley close to the set-up sheet you are trying to reference.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
He is not anymore, due to the fact that the new towers allow you to run all the stock parts, and require different internal shock limiting.

I would encourage everyone to just wait on the AE product so you know you can compare exact set-ups. When running shock locations all over the place it drastically changes other things you may not realize. Limiting, downtravel, uptravel, oil, piston, all these need to change if the shocks are not relativley close to the set-up sheet you are trying to reference.

Do you think my setup is ok untill the new towers come out? Or should i run 38mm shafts in the rear?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post

I totally agree with Brandon, the towers I have I spent a lot of time in. Every design I played with gave me a different feeling every time.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

So do i have a good base set up?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default RC8 Setup

I don't believe Maifield was running 29mm shafts in the back. His original setup was 38mm with a 6mm limiter. Once the RC8T came out, he started running the Truggy front shafts (32mm) Part #ASC89337, so the 6mm limiter was not required. He was also using the Truggy shock Risers Part #ASC89316. He has since been testing some prototype stuff and said he is not running that setup anymore. He races at a local track, that I race at every Wednesday and I asked him a month or so ago, and this is what he told me.
Billetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billetboy View Post
I don't believe Maifield was running 29mm shafts in the back. His original setup was 38mm with a 6mm limiter. Once the RC8T came out, he started running the Truggy front shafts (32mm) Part #ASC89337, so the 6mm limiter was not required. He was also using the Truggy shock Risers Part #ASC89316. He has since been testing some prototype stuff and said he is not running that setup anymore. He races at a local track, that I race at every Wednesday and I asked him a month or so ago, and this is what he told me.
Thats why i have been asking. Because from the RC10.com forum Maifield says thats the set up he was running with the RC8T rear tower is with 29mm shock shafts and thats staight from his post.

And im just wondering what everyone else is running with the truggy rear tower as far as shock shafts. With the 29mm shafts the arms stop right before hitting the chassis like 1-2mm thats with the droop screws completley removed.

The last race i broke a 29mm shaft end and the i did not have any spares and the hobby shop only had 32's so i ran 32's with a bronze spring. It did not feel to bad. But the best performance i got out of the big bores is when i had the FT RC8 rear tower on it with 38mm shafts/38 bodies/black springs, it seemed more stable thru the rough section but now the track is more smooth and big air. So its hard to say..

Just need a little input!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

anyone else's input?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Ok here is the scoop so you don't get anymore lost in the shock tower world.

-If you are gonna run the truggy rear tower, DO NOT use 38mm rear shafts. Ideally you want 29mm shafts. The problem is NOT the droop but the UPTRAVEL. The shock will bottom out on the boot before the car bottoms out on the track. If you have to run 32mm shafts, cut the end of the boot and remove the washer. And yes, you have to run front risers on the rear, cross pattern.

-The reason I say wait is because the new towers like I said allow you to run 38mm everything with the normal risers. This elimintaes confusion with uptravel, limiting, and droop.

-The reason for running softer springs when using the new tower or the truggy tower is because the shock is stood more vertical, which changes the damping and spring needed to get the car to act the same.

Try and just hang tight, so you can make sure you are on the same field as everyone else you are trying to compare setups with. What happens is you start trying to run what other people are and if the internals/externals of the shock and geometry aren't the same you can end up with an ill handling car.

I have done a lot of testing of many things shock related, and I can tell you that with BB's the car is very sensitive to shock changes (more so with piston and oil than just a hole location). This is why I say you don't want to be too far off, because a bad shock set up can make a big difference in handling and lap times.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

B- Your still alive... havn't heard from you in a while... might have to make a trip down near you this summer sometime... Hope all is well and hope to see you soon buddy... Take care

-DC-