Search

Best clay for offroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Best clay for offroad

Hi everybody,

My local club start in may the building of our local track but, i dont know what is the best clay or other to build the best offroad track?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Well, you are kind off limited to what clay is in your area. Clay is usaully more expensive around here in TN $300.00 a load for clean rock free clay, cuz they use it for packing footer bases. Yet in some areas like GA, its cheaper cuz thats all they have. All clay is not the same, some clay is very hard, and some have a Loam in it so it is softer.

Basically, just get whatever clay is available. It does not need to be 100% clay, you can go up to 30% dirt to clay mix and have a awesome racing surface.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
Well, you are kind off limited to what clay is in your area. Clay is usaully more expensive around here in TN $300.00 a load for clean rock free clay, cuz they use it for packing footer bases. Yet in some areas like GA, its cheaper cuz thats all they have. All clay is not the same, some clay is very hard, and some have a Loam in it so it is softer.

Basically, just get whatever clay is available. It does not need to be 100% clay, you can go up to 30% dirt to clay mix and have a awesome racing surface.
speed.. you have a good point..depending on if your going to have it in a building or outside.. here in michigan, some of the good outside tracks have a mixture of 60/40 clay/dirt, the track stays nice and damp with very little watering and very fast.. but i feel the best clay to have for an offroad track is red clay and sand mix, depending on what you like for a mix 60/40, 70/30 thats up to you... just my opinion
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Red clay is nasty stuff.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
Red clay is nasty stuff.
In what way?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thank guys,

In my area, we have a lot of mix for the clay, red, dirt for garden(ok not good for a track hehe).. dirt with sandmix, dirt with stonemix

Currently we use a light brown clay and is very difficult to make jump and is so much hard.

What type of dirt use the nitro pit track?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is our track, this year we want completly rebuild and want to have one of the best track in canada.

actually, 1lap are done in 36sec

is a 175x100 feet for the layout

If anyone have idea?

The dirt budget is 3000$

What you propose?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
Red clay is nasty stuff.
red clay cause its very good at holding in moisture and if it mixed correctly can be perfect for racing on. keeps the track moist and dirt for traction all the time
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Red Clay is not too hard to work and build jump?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We use red clay with sand for our track. I do not know the exact mixture though. They even add a little lime at times to make it hard. The lime helps keep the mixture from becoming loose and loamy. They also pack it with a roller from time to time. It pretty much depends on what kind of surface everyone wants to race on. Some like a hard packed blue groove type surface and others may like more of a loose and loamy surface. It just depends on your area and the people racing on it. I would try to figure out what suits the majority of the racers in the area. They are the ones that keep the track alive or let it die.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you all like hard pack tracks save some money on the clay use the dirt that you have and sugar it.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Tire wear is another thing that you'll want to take into consideration. Sure hard packed blue groove is an awsome surface to race on, but the tires you'll need to run on something like that will wear out quickly (one race day, 2 if you're lucky), that translates into a lot of $$$$$ for just tires, and we all know they are not cheap. That's why I prefer a slightly loamy surface, it lets you run a little bigger lug, and a little harder compound. I could probably get through an entire season with 4 sets of tires at my local club track.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you guys!

For now, i think we go with a mix of sand, rock and clay for our track.

But i have a question :

How you make the jump? Did you start the jump with a haystack and after you put the dirt on or you make big jump only with the dirt?

(haystack is been this :
Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just dirt, nothing else!
Attached Thumbnails Best clay for offroad-sss.jpg   Best clay for offroad-sss3.jpg  
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bcrazy
If you all like hard pack tracks save some money on the clay use the dirt that you have and sugar it.
What do you mean by "sugaring it"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.