R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Help with Go Tech .21 engine

Hey guy need some help here. I trying to tune my engine which is a Go-Tech .21 with a V-spec Carb. I had to replace the carb due to the Go Tech one sucks. This is my problem I got the Xb808 running fine but when I punch it just shuts off. I think it is the low speed correct me if I am wrong so I try to mess with the low speed and it runs great until I punch the throttle it still die. The engine is throwing a lot of smoke the temp is at
208F. The idle is great it comes down very nicely. I am just breaking my head why when I punch the throttle at full it die and turns off??

I also have a dynamite pipe 086 which I am thinking of changing it to the Go-Tech one 2047..

Thanks
HulkNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sounds like it might be lean on top. Hard to tell without knowing what kinda sound it's making when it shuts off. I'm thinking you might be lean on top and rich on bottom. You say your temp is 208 but yet as soon as you go wide open it dies so I'm guessing your temp is an idling temp? Try richening the hs about 4 hrs and lean the ls 2 hrs and see if this helps. Also if your letting it idle along time before going wide open it can kill it as well from the crank case being loaded up with fuel.
8IGHT-T 2.0 O.S. engine, AKA, Byrons
Jtecracing.com Come on over and do some racing!!!
Travis Wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Tech Regular

It sound like a pop when it dies it throws a lot of smoke when open wide. No I do not let it idle for long time.. I will try what you have advice me riching at the top and lean at the buttom..

Thanks for your reply..
Old 03-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if it pops, sputters, and throws allot of smoke its to rich.
Also check your pipe for an obstruction.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Whats the ideal pipe for this engine??
Old 03-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ok, say you have a 150 foot straight and the motor is all the way up to temp already and you come to a stop then go wide open. Is the motor taking off fast with no hesitation and reaching max rpm about 3/4 way down the straight?
Or do you have to kind of baby it to get going and then when is wide open it never really cleans out and starts to scream. If the motor is way rich on top it will sound like the motor is really blubbery and never really make a whole lot of rpm. That will also cause it to die. It's basicly hydro locking.
If the motor sounds really blubbery and is smoking really bad when wide open then try turning your hs in about 2hrs run it some more and try going wide open if the motor still is not cleaning out and making full rpm by 100-120 feet lean the hs 1 hr at a time till it cleans out and makes good power. Then fine tune with your ls.
You always tune your motor for the track your on. Tune the motor so the it cleans out about 3/4 way down your longest straight and tune the ls so that after a wide open run you can stop the car and it shouldbe able to sit there and idle for 15 seconds or so before you start to hear the crank case fill up and make the motor sound kinda like a girggle.
Just keep an eye on your temps and remember you should always set your hs first then your ls.
Hope you get it figured out.
8IGHT-T 2.0 O.S. engine, AKA, Byrons
Jtecracing.com Come on over and do some racing!!!
Travis Wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Wait View Post
ok, say you have a 150 foot straight and the motor is all the way up to temp already and you come to a stop then go wide open. Is the motor taking off fast with no hesitation and reaching max rpm about 3/4 way down the straight?
Or do you have to kind of baby it to get going and then when is wide open it never really cleans out and starts to scream. If the motor is way rich on top it will sound like the motor is really blubbery and never really make a whole lot of rpm. That will also cause it to die. It's basicly hydro locking.
If the motor sounds really blubbery and is smoking really bad when wide open then try turning your hs in about 2hrs run it some more and try going wide open if the motor still is not cleaning out and making full rpm by 100-120 feet lean the hs 1 hr at a time till it cleans out and makes good power. Then fine tune with your ls.
You always tune your motor for the track your on. Tune the motor so the it cleans out about 3/4 way down your longest straight and tune the ls so that after a wide open run you can stop the car and it shouldbe able to sit there and idle for 15 seconds or so before you start to hear the crank case fill up and make the motor sound kinda like a girggle.
Just keep an eye on your temps and remember you should always set your hs first then your ls.
Hope you get it figured out.
hey travis just to let you know with a standard gen 5 GO carb with the long LSN you tune the LSN first and fine tune with the HSN I know it sounds backwards but trust me It's just how it is

Adrian

as for pipes which engine is it the 3, 5 or 7 port.

Checkout the official Go engine thread theres a tone of info on there and a lot of guys keen to help out

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hhhhhmmmmmm....... Can't tune the Go Carb and now Can't tune with the V-spec carb. Maybe the Go carb was not the problem. Hope you get it worked out but I think too many people give up on the GO carb because of what people say. I have ran 4 Go motors with Stock carbs and no problems also 100% of people I know in my area ALL use stock Go carbs that run GO's.

Sometimes what I do if I come up with a problem and cannot figure out by tuning a little at a time is to go from one extreme to the other. For example Turn the HSN one FULL turn richer or leaner and see what it does. Same for LSN. Most of the time you will see it run better one way or the other (not run the RIGHT way but better). This will give you a indication of where you need to go Hope that helps a little.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Could be a glow plug problem or a partialy pluged fuel filter or partialy blocked jet not allowing enough fuel to the engine at WOT.
John Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to justindyer

My EB Mod Go Tech carb is perfect holds a tune with no problems maybe you moved the carb and messed up the o-ring.
justindyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Tech Regular

The carb lock up on me in the open position and could not close it..
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to justindyer

If it locked up maybe you pulled it too far or you turned your idle screw in to far and messed up the barrel I have done this before with my RB S7 engine and it locked up on me.
justindyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links