R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Use washers behind the screws that secure the shocktower to the diff case. CA the edges of all carbon fiber parts to keep them from splitting. I said it once and I'll say it again, that damage is not from zipping through the yard. Your center dogbone looks like it has been grinding up against something? I am not sponsered by Jammin but I run their cars because they have proven to me to be durable. Since the front tower is cracked I would just buy the aluminum one now.
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #302
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underway View Post
Use washers behind the screws that secure the shocktower to the diff case. CA the edges of all carbon fiber parts to keep them from splitting. I said it once and I'll say it again, that damage is not from zipping through the yard. Your center dogbone looks like it has been grinding up against something? I am not sponsered by Jammin but I run their cars because they have proven to me to be durable. Since the front tower is cracked I would just buy the aluminum one now.
the dog bone, rubbed up against the corner of the engine mount after it bent. I did ca glue the edges of the towers. the washer trick I missed. I put them on the shock mounts. I have put the aluminum towers,deck plate,and a kings head front chassis brace. and am making a rear. out of real aluminum.I got the opportunity to talk with Jim from kings head. It was stated to me that what china,Taiwan call cnc machined aluminum is a lot different then what he uses. Like he said it may have aluminum in it,just not full aluminum. The washers behind the screws is what may have started all this? But the front aluminum brace broke perfect like a piece of a puzzle. It was perfect,you could put it back together and not see it was broke. Thats why I went to have it welded. Also the reason I have always had a ofna or jammin product it durability. As much flex as this thing has all's it takes is one thing to start a down hill slide.
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
the dog bone, rubbed up against the corner of the engine mount after it bent. I did ca glue the edges of the towers. the washer trick I missed. I put them on the shock mounts. I have put the aluminum towers,deck plate,and a kings head front chassis brace. and am making a rear. out of real aluminum.I got the opportunity to talk with Jim from kings head. It was stated to me that what china,Taiwan call cnc machined aluminum is a lot different then what he uses. Like he said it may have aluminum in it,just not full aluminum. The washers behind the screws is what may have started all this? But the front aluminum brace broke perfect like a piece of a puzzle. It was perfect,you could put it back together and not see it was broke. Thats why I went to have it welded. Also the reason I have always had a ofna or jammin product it durability. As much flex as this thing has all's it takes is one thing to start a down hill slide.

Yeah the washer trick helps to distribute the load. The front shock towers take some unreal abuse during crashes. Hope you get it all figured out and start enjoying the X2.
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #304
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
they couldn't weld it. as it is not aluminum. It is pot metal.
Quote:
.I got the opportunity to talk with Jim from kings head. It was stated to me that what china,Taiwan call cnc machined aluminum is a lot different then what he uses. Like he said it may have aluminum in it,just not full aluminum.
No doubt King Headz has top quality stuff, but China has come up by leaps and bounds production wise over the past 15 years. I mean, pot metal? I am sure there would be at least 1 other case of a broken brace that somebody had heard of if this was the case. Build the car for how you drive.
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #305
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyebmx View Post
No doubt King Headz has top quality stuff, but China has come up by leaps and bounds production wise over the past 15 years. I mean, pot metal? I am sure there would be at least 1 other case of a broken brace that somebody had heard of if this was the case. Build the car for how you drive.
it say's the brace is cnc machined aluminum,when I went to get it welded they could not weld it. It is pot metal, that's what I was told. cnc aluminum can be welded,pot metal can't. as far as broken braces from what I read back in this thread I do believe it is the rear that should have broken first. I built the car from the x-2 conversion kit. To chad bradleys spec's. It was one of the first ones shipped last dec. from nitro house. No matter I got rid of the carbon fiber parts and installed the aluminum parts in there place.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #306
Tech Addict

My rear dog bone is worn similar to yours as well. Mine was touching the engine casing not the mount but it has since worn the engine block perfectly where it doesn't touch anymore.
Eastside777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #307
Tech Master

well I found a few problems with my conversion kit.I had the x1x servo saver in there with the big spring,2 I had it in upside down. I was looking for some other parts and found that I had purchased the regular x-2 kit part so I put it in. and well like driving a whole different car. No wonder every little jump was causing a problem. The servo saving wasn't taking any of the shock. But I think I will still leave the aluminum parts on the car. And one last thing actually2. 1-I will buy a full kit next time I buy a car, and thanks to everyone who gave advice trying to help me fix the problems.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

I have currently only raced the X-2 conversion kit and am absolutely pleased with it and it's durability. It is so good, I haven't even put the X2 kit together yet. Few things had to be modified (as per all the recomendations from forum), but it has worked flawlessly. I dissassembled completely, after 2 races and alot of practice sessions (about 3/4 gal) and there is minimal wear on any of the parts (drive cups, all gears, all universals/dogbones). I do perform mantenance after each run, which may add to the minimal wear. I have had several major crashes learning the characteristics of the new X2 and some assistance from other racers on occassion, with no shortcommings. This car seems amazing and on par/competitive with all the local buggies in my area (Associated RC8B, Losi 2.0 and Xray 808 '09, Kyosho MP9). Looking forward to all the future races with the new X2B.
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #309
Tech Master

Well I finished my first race with my x-2. took 7th in my amain.
Just wanted everyone too know that I talked to Jim at king headz and sent him a set of front and rear towers. So we should be seeing those soon. Also sent him the rear chassis brace for him to manufacture. Here are the part#'s.
Front brace-khz-kp-760 from x1-cr
Rear brace khz-kp-771 from x1 crt
I have installed both of them. No issues what so ever. So there you go if you want something more durable.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #310
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Just wanted everyone too know that I talked to Jim at king headz and sent him a set of front and rear towers. So we should be seeing those soon. Also sent him the rear chassis brace for him to manufacture. Here are the part#'s.
Front brace-khz-kp-760 from x1-cr
Rear brace khz-kp-771 from x1 crt
I have installed both of them. No issues what so ever. So there you go if you want something more durable.
Cool, I'm assuming you sent him the new Jammin aluminium towers?
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #311
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Cool, I'm assuming you sent him the new Jammin aluminium towers?
No he said he could do them up with carbon fiber ones. also the front tower for the x1xcr will fit the x-2. just doesn't have the top cross piece. I have already tried it. The rear was close,very close, you could probably make it work with some dremal time and would need to drill 1 hole.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #312
Tech Master

well here i go again. bent rear dog bone,both front and rear cups worn out. this after 1.5 gallons at most. has any body tried to use the cups from the x1x and some titanium pins to stop the wear? We are thinking that the center dog bones are bending after a hard landing because the pins are getting stuck in the worn slots they have crated. Anyone have any input?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #313
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
well here i go again. bent rear dog bone,both front and rear cups worn out. this after 1.5 gallons at most. has any body tried to use the cups from the x1x and some titanium pins to stop the wear? We are thinking that the center dog bones are bending after a hard landing because the pins are getting stuck in the worn slots they have crated. Anyone have any input?
If you have slots worn into the cups you definitely need to replace them or at least swap them side to side, or front to back if its the center driveline you are talking about, not sure from your post. You will just continue to bend/break driveshafts and dogbones if you don't. I think I've said this before but my center cups wore out very quickly but I have virtually no wear on the front and rear diff cups that drive the universals. I think the solution is to just keep an eye on the dogbone pins and replace them at the first sign of wear. Cheap insurance.
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

After several races and alot of practice, the new car is much better than I am at the moment. Tried the lower shock oil levels F 32.5 and R 22.5 and had little success (no dampening and alot of chasis on the ground much of the time), due to the heat in TN (85-95 degrees). Will try higher oil wieghts at next race (Missouri) F 37.5 and R 27.5, in hopes to keep the chasis from becoming unsettled after jumps. Maybe this will also help in preventing the nose from digging in so easy as well. Overall very pleased with the new X2B, much better than previous car.
Only breakage has been a front shock shaft and very minimum wear on the center dog bones, etc.
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #315
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjkb View Post
After several races and alot of practice, the new car is much better than I am at the moment. Tried the lower shock oil levels F 32.5 and R 22.5 and had little success (no dampening and alot of chasis on the ground much of the time), due to the heat in TN (85-95 degrees). Will try higher oil wieghts at next race (Missouri) F 37.5 and R 27.5, in hopes to keep the chasis from becoming unsettled after jumps. Maybe this will also help in preventing the nose from digging in so easy as well. Overall very pleased with the new X2B, much better than previous car.
Only breakage has been a front shock shaft and very minimum wear on the center dog bones, etc.
If you are using the 1.4 shock pistons,try 50 weight in front and 45 in rear. worked great for me no more nose dive.handles whoops and bumps fine.