R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #61
Tech Elite

I have driven both and both are great in their own right. I favor the Losi, but with my set up. I dont feel the Losi is loose at all. The difference is with the losi I feel you dont have to over drive it, it has very good steering which allows you to be smoother with it. and what i hae found is that I get about a minute + more driving the Losi because Im not always full wood. where as my Mugen I found to keep up with the Losi which it is more that capable of doing, I am full wood all the time, its not as smooth. i am doing a lot more driving with the mugen.

Now price, I dont thing any of these kits are worth the price with you look at the components. I have been to china and tawain to different factories and seen how stuff is made and its not worth what we pay. I dont care if its mugen xray or losi.............. its cheap parts, cheap labor, the most expensive part is the box in which it comes in.
The manufactors/compaines know if they build it we will buy it. And people say they advertise, but how do they get our attention? Not through ads in a Magizine, but through paid/sponsered drivers. Look at the Nitro Challage or Sliver State. Thats where they rock all the new products that we cant buy yet.

LOSI LOSI LOSI

Last edited by token; 10-20-2009 at 09:48 AM.
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

token. its still cost a good bit of money to engineer the buggy and design. Not to mention the dye's and machinery to make the parts. the machinery, mills and injection molds. Matierials are not the biggest expense in any project. actually matierials is the cheapest part.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
How is the losi "less reliable" ?
Issues.........when racing.

Quote:
how do say the losi is better after that analysis? Looks like you were saying the mugen is better but the clutch is not
Losi is better when you finish the race. Mugen - long finals.........at half way mark, you find the engine response lagging...........once you finish the race, you can open up and see..........the conditions of it. Not good.

Just my opinion, Losi is still better, maybe there could be breakages or etc.........engine remain consistent throughout the long finals.

Engine and clutch - the heart of the buggy. ( setup, tires..etc too ) but once you have issue on E&C, the car not performing 100% though the rest might be correct. Mike, Adam and co have awesome results. Did you pay attention to the tune of losi's engine.....sounds like.......? there's something there........dude.

Just my opinion. That's all.
Danny Teh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #64
Tech Apprentice

I'll trade my losi 2.0 for a MBX6 anyday...really...just PM me...
NitroAmmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Teh View Post

Losi is better when you finish the race. Mugen - long finals.........at half way mark, you find the engine response lagging...........once you finish the race, you can open up and see..........the conditions of it. Not good. Just my opinion, Losi is still better, maybe there could be breakages or etc.........engine remain consistent throughout the long finals.

Engine and clutch - the heart of the buggy. ( setup, tires..etc too ) but once you have issue on E&C, the car not performing 100% though the rest might be correct. Mike, Adam and co have awesome results. Did you pay attention to the tune of losi's engine.....sounds like.......? there's something there........dude.

Are you saying it will fry my engine, or my clutch? So all you would have to do is put a better clutch on it? That is not that big a deal.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

I'm about to get into 8th scale racing, and it's people like Ridley that make me sit back and think about it.

I'm not rich, so you're saying that I shouldn't be in the hobby? I'm not cheap either, nor do I bicker about spending $300 on an engine, or $120 on a servo, but I am middle class at best. But the fact remains that when I shell out $50 or $500 for a product, I want my moneys worth.

I am more than likely going to buy a Losi for several reason, obviously one of them is price, and what you get for the money you spend.

Racing anything on a budget is always a challenge, but that is where you have to decide on the level of competition you enter. I will be club racing only, so I believe that a Losi would be more than capable. I tried drag racing mustangs for a couple of years, and I found out that even at the lowest level, it is still out of my budget range.

I just hate hearing people say "this is an expensive hobby, you you're not willing to spend 1000 you may want to find another hobby"

That is a terrible thing to say to someone wanting to enter the hobby. If the person wants to buy a Duratrax Raze and race at club level, try and help them, and not by saying "you're making a mistake". Because if they listen to you, they will find another hobby, and spend the money there.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #67
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Teh View Post

Losi is better when you finish the race. Mugen - long finals.........at half way mark, you find the engine response lagging...........once you finish the race, you can open up and see..........the conditions of it. Not good.

Just my opinion, Losi is still better, maybe there could be breakages or etc.........engine remain consistent throughout the long finals.

I totally judge my cars by the air filter 'cause it's like permantly attached to the car and nobody else makes better ones
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #68
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
I totally judge my cars by the air filter 'cause it's like permantly attached to the car and nobody else makes better ones

I concur.

"issues when racing".....what issues ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post

So what brand of car has the best air filter? I really like my XRAY air filter... with the XRAY logo molded in, it's bling yo!

How did this thread get brought back from the dead?
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

its all tc5 man fault..... j/k
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I'm about to get into 8th scale racing, and it's people like Ridley that make me sit back and think about it.

I'm not rich, so you're saying that I shouldn't be in the hobby? I'm not cheap either, nor do I bicker about spending $300 on an engine, or $120 on a servo, but I am middle class at best. But the fact remains that when I shell out $50 or $500 for a product, I want my moneys worth.

I am more than likely going to buy a Losi for several reason, obviously one of them is price, and what you get for the money you spend.

Racing anything on a budget is always a challenge, but that is where you have to decide on the level of competition you enter. I will be club racing only, so I believe that a Losi would be more than capable. I tried drag racing mustangs for a couple of years, and I found out that even at the lowest level, it is still out of my budget range.

I just hate hearing people say "this is an expensive hobby, you you're not willing to spend 1000 you may want to find another hobby"

That is a terrible thing to say to someone wanting to enter the hobby. If the person wants to buy a Duratrax Raze and race at club level, try and help them, and not by saying "you're making a mistake". Because if they listen to you, they will find another hobby, and spend the money there.
email me if you have any ???? and I'll be more than glad to answer any questions you have...

alanburton20@gmail.com
Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post

It's really not an expensive hobby at all. Ever priced a mountain bike (2K$), or a fishing boat (1K to 100K$ + 1K to 100K$ for beer +50-100K$ for divorce settlement), or a uranium enrichment centerfuge, or a motocross bike (6K$). Pricey hobbies indeed.

Not to mention the hospital bills involved with those hobbies.

Alot of people spending big $ in RC are doing it because thier previous hobby was insane expensive.

1/8th can be done on a fair budget. By quality and buy once. Especially servos, chargers, radios. those can last for many race seasons.

You don't really have to spend alot on race engines. Most tracks don't require much power. Seems the really fast guys have their engines toned down alot so they can get on the power sooner, smoother, and with less fishtailing/wheelspin.

Engines like the Rb Hobby9, RB Junior9, Nova N21bl, are plenty for most buggies in club race conditions.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
It's really not an expensive hobby at all. Ever priced a mountain bike (2K$), or a fishing boat (1K to 100K$ + 1K to 100K$ for beer +50-100K$ for divorce settlement), or a uranium enrichment centerfuge, or a motocross bike (6K$). Pricey hobbies indeed.

Alot of people spending big $ in RC are doing it because thier previous hobby was insane expensive.

1/8th can be done on a fair budget. By quality and buy once. Especially servos, chargers, radios. those can last for many race seasons.

You don't really have to spend alot on race engines. Most tracks don't require much power. Seems the really fast guys have their engines toned down alot so they can get on the power sooner, smoother, and with less fishtailing/wheelspin.

Engines like the Rb Hobby9, RB Junior9, Nova N21bl, are plenty for most buggies in club race conditions.
well said. it can bed one on a budget.i myself cant race every weekend but ido ok. what costs is all the stuff you need up front......[tools/equip/etc]
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #74
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

well said. it can be done on a budget.i myself cant race every weekend but ido ok. what costs is all the stuff you need up front......[tools/equip/etc]
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Are you saying it will fry my engine, or my clutch? So all you would have to do is put a better clutch on it? That is not that big a deal.
Not that serious - " yes " but you will loss out on torque and power from a worn out clutch and bell. Heavy replacement in this area ( $$$$ - ). That's aluminium of course. Most prefer it cause the power and torque it generates.

Quote:
Air filter ?
Xray is the "BEST"
Danny Teh is offline   Reply With Quote