R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #46
Tech Addict

i only wish my toy car was as cheap as my nippers toy cars then we would have one of each of the manufacturers cars in the workshop
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #47
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to justindyer

R/C cars cost so much cause of all the design that goes into it and the parts its crazy how much it actually cost to start making the cars.
justindyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Nope. Priced too high. Quite a few people have paid far less than that for an MP9 new. Its would be the same arguement if you compared say a Corvette to a Ferrari. One is way more price-wise, but both can get the same results performance wise.
well stated man..good point.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
I drive Losi's and I agree with you. I like them because they are simple and drive quite well. I disagree with the durability statement, they can take a beating with the rest of them out there. I don't like the slop the arms and other suspension components get, but honestly it doesn't seem to affect their handling too much. From a sheer parts availability and popularity aspect running a Losi around here is a win because there is a lot of experience in the paddock and parts are easy to come by.

I am not a Losi Driver, But I have been amazed at the pounding they take, The Novice class is almost all Losi, I am astounded, each week at the punishment they take! I think if you look at the amount of Losi cars racing and the average skill level of the guys driving losi ( No Disrespect, just Losi is 70-80% of the cars at my tracks) That is a really durable car, Sure they break, I have Broken every car I own, at some point, If you do somthin crazy, pow*** Broken parts! Go Figure? But if you look at who complains about the Losi, and how much they have ran...Well you might see they are tough and well built buggies, Mugen is too, Jammin, K car, X ray, I have had em all, Even a Z Car, A Turmoil, a Mayhem, A Cen, O Donnell, Hyper 8-8.5 But if you look at the Losi in sheer numbers, Yes you are going to see and hear more Bad stories, it is simpley due to the Mass of Cars in the field, If any other company could provide a raceable, user freindly (DSM, Rotostart,Etc>) RTR, they would invade on the Losi Hoard, But really, Who wants an Off band, or crystal radio and reciver, or servos...for there first time out racing? Naw, Losi has it, Their RTR is Really RTR. I wish they were metric hardware, thats about it, I have had a few and they handle great, but I just cannot deal with the SAE VS Metric battle when I wrench on other stuff..(Mugen, Jammin, K car..ETC) it drives me crazy! The Losi Team Has always been awesome to me, even if I run Jammin, or Mugen, in particular,Ray Norte, Casey Peck and Adam Drake have helped me at races, along with Rhonda, Ryan Lutz, Paul Coleman,Jammin Jay, "Bob" The A Main Dude, The Carolinas Dude, The Guys at One Hobbies, Kenny, And All My WTF Crew, Point is we all Run RC cars an wanna race! Well...I digress...RC racin Rules!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #50
Tech Prophet

i have a losi eight 1.0 and its pretty much my first buggy that i been racing all season ,as for the slop yes it does handle better thats for sure when the
slop starts to show,the play i dint like was the stock sterring rack there was way to much slop and you will notice it too so i got the king headz rack and its a lot better,as for durabity the weak link is defetiy the rear hinge pin in the hub upgrade to the titanium ones ,the bottom shock bottoms do evently blow on u and mess your o-rings up and also had to locktite the screw that goes into the shock piston they get loose it happen to me a couple of times drived my nuts,the hinge pins and the shocks with the coating on them will ware off but thats not a really big deal as long as there not leaking oil, as for driving style if u have the right tires i relized that u can drive it harder it actually kind of doesnt like to be driven smooth if u ask me i tried to do that and it dint feel right but i does demand u to drive it good
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

MBX 6 = Parts are good.
More reliable
More stable, easy to drive in any condition
= clutch/bell = Lousy and the wear rate is extraordinary.

Losi = Parts OK
Less reliable
A little loose but not way out, setup critical
= clutch/bell - Need more to time fix up, responsive, good acceleration.

Overall - Losi ( the car is better especially the clutch area ) 4 pc clutch does have it advantages with tunability.
Danny Teh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #52
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Teh View Post
MBX 6 = Parts are good.
More reliable

Losi = Parts OK
Less reliable

Overall - Losi ( the car is better especially the clutch area ) 4 pc clutch does have it advantages with tunability.

How is the losi "less reliable" ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Teh View Post
MBX 6 = Parts are good.
More reliable

Losi = Parts OK
Less reliable

how do say the losi is better after that analysis? Looks like you were saying the mugen is better but the clutch is not

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #54
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameholic2 View Post
Yet another one...
If you took the time to read everything i wrote you would have realised i never Bashed the MBX6, i simply stated that i prefered the way the Losi handled.
I'm in college I paid for both these cars with my hard earned cash I have no reason to be biased towards Losi but at the end of the day, that's the car i prefer.
ps
I've seen more Xrays retire from races with busted diffs than all the other manufacturers combined... so much for the luxury and quality argument...

@Ridley I still think you're a poser with senseless arguments no point in arguing with you.
Then those xray guys didnt know how to shim a diff. own one and your opinion on quality and luxury will change.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

9 times out of 10, loosing a diff is bad maintinence, not the car.

Xray - RCAmerica

XB8 2017 - XB8E 2017
pl_unc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #56
Tech Elite

I couldn't kill a diff if I wanted to. Not really a fragile part in any nitrobuggy. A little maintenance and it really is obvious if you shimmed 'em wrong. The 808 should usually line up well enough without shims.

I'll admit I think a NEW Losi 8 2.0 may be the fastest car out there, but I need a car that stays tight and is reliable. Losi and Ae just don't seem to hold up as well as they could. All I'm asking for is stronger plastic and a little better attention to detail. Especially since the Losi costs more than the Xray or Mugen.

So I bought the Xray. I'm glad it's similar to the Losi. I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for the Mugen, It's still alot better than the 5. Not as light or twitchey as the Losi, but it sure felt agressive last time I drove one. A Mugen with slow steering response sounds like a setup problem to me. The old school Mugen guys still seem to run real light shocks and diffs and that deosn't seem to work as well on the 6. The one I drove was 7/5/3 in the diffs and a shade stiffer sprung than stock. Very fast response.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Thanks for trying to put sanity back into this thread, Alan.

Is Skeller going to rcpro with you? He will watch em...
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
Wow, so Drake and Truhe won some big races on it, big deal, they are great DRIVERS, they could win with a cereal box and donuts. A damn HOT BODIES won the worlds, lmao, that should tell you that a pos in the right hands can win anything. I mean geezus, that car is a freaking pile and a half. Word though, you dont drive like drake or truhe, you dont get a dozen kits to play with when the losi wears out in 2 gallons, nor does anyone on here care if you can clear the teeter totter at your local playground in front of your friends. I been around the block with this hobby, and you only have to see so many fall apart, pound out, sloppify, and head back to the pits in the middle of a race at the club level to see the truth. Certainly a good driver can win with one, a good driver can win with anything, but the fact remains that 95% of the losi drivers would be better served with a different car. You are certainly a poser though....thats easy for anyone to see judging by the other responses as well. But hey, it's almost 8:15 here, your shortbus is prolly outside waiting to take you to school.....don't be late, maybe you can impress someone there. IMHO the Losi is a pos, if you dont like that opinion, I couldn't care less. Maybe you can show me how wrong I am this year at the pro series finals in texas

BTW, if 500$ isn't chump change for anyone in this hobby, they should take up something else. If you don't have cash to infuse into your stuff at will, you are never going to get anywhere. Bitchin about 200$ here or there is just juvenile when it comes to the big picture of what's spent each year in total, for anyone attending even a handful of club races, let alone someone running state and regional pro series and the other big local races, and a decent regimin of practice each week.
Ridley, I never get involved in who is better, etc. I have ran most every car on the market, tested, built, etc. I see probably 40 various kits/brands amonth. However, you seem to be calling shots off of the original buggy that did have issues. Ones that were corrected. IF you think about it every single car that has came out had many issues. MOst if not all companies correct these issues with time, yet people still bash them.

I race for losi, yes I do. But before I did I spent 6k on several differet kits, parts, etc and went to testing. After working for a small company with a "new" buggy I was tired of working at things and wanted to make the late part of my career fun and fast.

On the buggy I can not see one durability issue. The cars go out and do what they were made to do. They do have a little play but this is offroad and many do not understand that is something needed. I also see this "play" on every single car out there. Even your Kyosho. Every car may break but I think all the major players are more than durable.

The Team, losi has much more than Drake or Truhe...They have guys winning races all over the country in every region. From the local scenes, regional, pro, expert, sportsman.

Being someone who has actually been to losi and seen the workings, dedication, and effort that goes into what you guys race , I understand the good thing we have. Losi has the some of best customer service of any company out there, they have support for those who choose to run the product, and they have purposely fielded a very strong team so these guys can test and get a great product back into your hands. The new forum is loaded with team guys helping, answering questions, etc. This too is something other companies do not offer. It takes a lot of money to support the customer in the ways losi does, yet they still do it.

Losi is not some company who just plots up ideas to get into the hands of the public. Someone mentioned the smart diff...

How is that any different than other companies lsd diff, or active diff, or torsion diff? Losi actually made better on what was currently being used. And we use them in a lot of situations. It's not a "must" have, it's a tuning option.

Last edited by ABURTON; 09-11-2009 at 07:09 AM.
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #59
Tech Elite

There is a reason losi has got buggy of the year(as voted by the public) for several years, there is a reason they have won the nationals the last 3 years in a row, there is a reason that losi as a company offers more support, advertising, etc than most any company out there.

They are commited to the market and bringing the customer a great product.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #60
Tech Elite

so again, before anyone of any brand goes bashing and saying this and that remember that all these companies work hard. They give you a good product. Also remember that sometimes it could be neglect on your part that causes something to fail.

I personally would like to be a moderator who just controls these threads, when they pop up I would delete them

alright guys, headed to the shop to work on these cars that somehow wear out in 2 gallons