Wiki Posts
Search

8ight 2.0 Rear shimming help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default 8ight 2.0 Rear shimming help...

*sigh*

I was wrenching on my buggy yesterday, and didn't do a good job of paying attention to the shims and got them mixed up (which side is which) and now I don't have a clue of what they was. The book says two .25 MM and one .10 MM on the left side, and three .10 MM on the right. I went back to that and tightened my case down and it was meshing too tight. I done this 3-4 times because I assumed I had made a mistake again. So I've been messing with the shims and I don't have a clue of what they should be. I'd like to go back to factory but that just isn't working...

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi...

-NuthinFancy91
Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Move one shim from the ring gear side and place it on the opposite end, and try again. If it's still to tight move another over. It's a hit and miss kind of thing. That's why they went with shims on the 2.0, so you can adjust it to get it right. You do need to check you mesh once the gear box is completely installed in the car otherwise you may get a false feel. This is due to slight warpage of parts, uneven tightening, and alignment of parts. For example, it may feel good with just 4 screws holding the box together but, once installed in the chassis the mesh may tighten up and get notchy.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you got a Tick of play with the face of the gear box off....you'll have a tick of play when everything is assembled....there's NO way the mesh would walk with all the small webbing and interlocking pieces that make up the diff case...as long as the bearing inserts are Seated where they are supposed to be...THAT is the mesh you will have.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
If you got a Tick of play with the face of the gear box off....you'll have a tick of play when everything is assembled....there's NO way the mesh would walk with all the small webbing and interlocking pieces that make up the diff case...as long as the bearing inserts are Seated where they are supposed to be...THAT is the mesh you will have.
Maybe you should have a talk with my rear gearbox, and my front for that matter.

Actually the losi gear box may be one of the best in this regaurd, but always recheck after it's fully installed no matter what car your dealing with.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John Schafer
Move one shim from the ring gear side and place it on the opposite end, and try again. If it's still to tight move another over. It's a hit and miss kind of thing. That's why they went with shims on the 2.0, so you can adjust it to get it right. You do need to check you mesh once the gear box is completely installed in the car otherwise you may get a false feel. This is due to slight warpage of parts, uneven tightening, and alignment of parts. For example, it may feel good with just 4 screws holding the box together but, once installed in the chassis the mesh may tighten up and get notchy.

Moving the shims to the opposite side of the ring gear, makes it tighter. It moves the entire diff to the right, which is closer to the pinion (From the backside of the buggy)

Let me think for a second...
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

My bad, Nice catch.

Yes you are right, I keep forgetting the rear diff ring gear on the 8 is backwards from every other car on the market. I had mugen diff on the brain.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i have shimmed alot of diffs. I never go by what they "say" supposed to be right. Shim it with zero backlash and just a tick on the notchy side. Apply a high quality grease to keep the temps down on the gears and it will run in perfect. Always check after a couple of runs especially if your using the plastic diff inserts. I would suggest upgrading to the aluminum ones. I took my rear diff apart after about 3 races and the offset insert just fell off the bearing with no resistense.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

lol Ight man thanks, I stayed up till 12 the other night and got it right. It's .65 MM on the ring gear side, and .30 MM on the left. I just reversed it and it feels fine again so I feel comfortable lol