R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Location: movin to the big time. on my way to the bay next week!
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default MOD engines

so i am a little new to nitro engines. i know there are alot of people out there running mod motors by companies such as MassiveMods, Powerhouse, ect. are there any downsides to modifying engines? mainly what i want to know is... Are there any modifications done to the piston/sleeve? i ask because i wonder that when it comes time to change a piston/sleeve combo, do i have to send it back to the modifying company or is it just a normal rebuild?

Thanks for your time
sgodwin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

if your new dont evan worry about it right now a mod motor is good if you can use the power but the mod motor also beat it self to death i can get 9 gallons out a stock motor and maybe 3 or 4 out of a mod
Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Location: movin to the big time. on my way to the bay next week!
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

well that is good to know. the power i can handle, i used to drive 2 wheel all the time so i am used to this power. i run a GO .21 3 port R that i just rebuilt after almost 10 gallons. i just didnt know if it was really worth thinking about getting it modified. i didnt really think so because all the tracks i run on are not too big, so a ton of power isnt too necessary. and this motor has plenty for the local tracks i run on. just a thought as i progress farther into nitro
sgodwin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Don't be fooled by old school folk tales. Modifying an engine isn't just about throwing as much power to the wheels as you can get. I custom tailor the engine to what you need it to do whether you want a smoother and broader torqueband, more fuel economy, lower running temps or all of the above. I can also build engines that will separate the glue from the rims. It will depend on what you need it to do for you and that comes down to you being honest with yourself. If you tell me to build it so it hits hard down low and in reallity you need it softer, you will struggle with it on the track. First thing is to run a stock engine and establish your driving style. Then figure out what the engine needs to improve your track speed and again, be honest with yourself and if you are, you will find a properly modded engine will deliver what you need when you need it and soon you will realize there is no replacement for a modded engine. As far as modded engines not lasting, that's a crock! Engines are engines and sometimes parts will fail but I have seen my fair share of stock engines prematurely fail as well as modded engines. I will tell this though, I have never had my personal modified engines not last at least 8 gallons, never had a rear bearing failure and I always use the stock steel bearings. I have broken rods on ocasion or had rod bushings come apart but what engine wont do that from time to time. I have had rb concepts c6BB with my turbo crank go over 13 gallons singing at rpms that nitro engines just don't normally spin. I have had several novarossi p5's go 12-14 gallons with no trouble along with grp based ninjas going just as long. I have proven it so many times that modified engines can go the distance so don't get wrapped up in the belief that they have shortened life spans. Any engine modifier will tell you the same thing and if they or anyone else tells you anthing different, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I wouldn't go for a modified motor until your tuning is down good. If you can tune a motor that is out of wack, and bring it back into tune then you would be ready for a modified motor. Tuning is the key, learning to drive is easier and less costly. If you can't tune a motor, you would be really wasting a good motor, especially if you paid extra to get it modified. Be honest is your evaluation of your skills, it could save you lots of money if you are honest about it. Having all the top end speed or long run times means squat if you are killing the motor in the process.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgodwin85 View Post
Are there any modifications done to the piston/sleeve? i ask because i wonder that when it comes time to change a piston/sleeve combo, do i have to send it back to the modifying company or is it just a normal rebuild?

Thanks for your time

Yes and No.

For the most part there is work done to the Sleeve for sure and sometimes to the Piston. Now, depending what you want some mods are strictly done to the crank so you COULD just buy a stock piston/sleeve kit to rebuild it, but the majority of the modifiers DO modifiy the piston/sleeve.

And as PowerHouse stated modded motors do not have shortened lives (as long as the modifier knows what they are doing). I have several motors that are modded with 8,10+ gallons of fuel.
[URL="www.murnanmodified.com"]Murnan Modified Motors[/URL] [URL="www.radiopost.com"]Radiopost[/URL] [URL="www.powermasterfuels.com"]Powermaster Fuels[/URL] [URL="www.agamausa.com"]Agama USA[/URL] [URL="www.hobbyprousa.com"]Hobby Pro USA[/URL] [URL="www.bukupower.com"]BuKu Power[/URL] [URL="www.fastlanegear.com"]Fastlane Graphix[/URL]
seayya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When it comes time for a rebuild, depending on the condition of the piston and sleeve, you could extend the life of them by sending the P/S for a pinch. Services such as OS Rocket and Rayaracing offer services such as these to help bring new life into a tired motor. You just gotta be sure the crank pin and conrod are still good as well as the bearings.

I agree that if the modifier takes their time and does the job right, the motor should last. One of the things people sometimes forget is that with a modified motor, the motors revs more and thus more wear and tear can occur over the life of the motor. I've used motors from both EB Mods, RB Mods, and CEO mods and they are all pretty good at producing more power than stock or extending fuel mileage. I would like to try the murnan, but I'm kinda heavy with motors now so that wont happen anytime soon. Do your homework and you should be able to find a good modifier.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

just have to be careful with who you get to modify the engine, there are only a few out there that can duplicate there work, if the engine is all cut up like swiss cheese it will look cool but most likely isnt gonna put out good reliable power. the ones that i know you are safe going with ebmods, murnan, and hotmods they all will give you more power at the same time being reliable and useable. there are other guys out there i have tried a few and had some bad results mostly issues with cranks being out of balance causing bearings to fail prematurely and engines were like a light switch which actually hurt my lap times more then helped.
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When looking for a modified motor you have to think about what you really want. If you look, alot of engines modders will mod most of there motors the exact same not really giving you what you want/need but instead a modified motor that you have to cope with how it performs. I personally run powerhouse motors b/c one Mark is a great dude that jumps through hoops to make the customers happy and to ensure the motors perform flawlessly, and he knows his stuff! As for the swiss cheese comment, modders who know what they are doing dont just cut up the sleeve and crank cuase it looks cool, but rather cuase it is going to make a difference. Alot of factors go into making the motors perform and perform well and id rather see someone mark up the sleeve by adjusting angles, adding ports and modifying the crank to allow for the the engine to be as efficient and smooth as possible. Im not going to pay 60-80 bucks for someone to mod my motor and not give me the optiion of having a choice on how it performs. I like to have a say in just exactly how my motor will run and perform.

www.coldfusionrcproducts.com
Fierle03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
Don't be fooled by old school folk tales. Modifying an engine isn't just about throwing as much power to the wheels as you can get. I custom tailor the engine to what you need it to do whether you want a smoother and broader torqueband, more fuel economy, lower running temps or all of the above. I can also build engines that will separate the glue from the rims. It will depend on what you need it to do for you and that comes down to you being honest with yourself. If you tell me to build it so it hits hard down low and in reallity you need it softer, you will struggle with it on the track. First thing is to run a stock engine and establish your driving style. Then figure out what the engine needs to improve your track speed and again, be honest with yourself and if you are, you will find a properly modded engine will deliver what you need when you need it and soon you will realize there is no replacement for a modded engine. As far as modded engines not lasting, that's a crock! Engines are engines and sometimes parts will fail but I have seen my fair share of stock engines prematurely fail as well as modded engines. I will tell this though, I have never had my personal modified engines not last at least 8 gallons, never had a rear bearing failure and I always use the stock steel bearings. I have broken rods on ocasion or had rod bushings come apart but what engine wont do that from time to time. I have had rb concepts c6BB with my turbo crank go over 13 gallons singing at rpms that nitro engines just don't normally spin. I have had several novarossi p5's go 12-14 gallons with no trouble along with grp based ninjas going just as long. I have proven it so many times that modified engines can go the distance so don't get wrapped up in the belief that they have shortened life spans. Any engine modifier will tell you the same thing and if they or anyone else tells you anthing different, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.
+1 and i can testify to marks ability to mod to your needs ...but really you have to know your needs before you mod ....stick with powerhouse ,protwister,murnan ....and you will not only get a stupid good motor but you also get what you really want ...customer service ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seayya View Post
Yes and No.

For the most part there is work done to the Sleeve for sure and sometimes to the Piston. Now, depending what you want some mods are strictly done to the crank so you COULD just buy a stock piston/sleeve kit to rebuild it, but the majority of the modifiers DO modifiy the piston/sleeve.

And as PowerHouse stated modded motors do not have shortened lives (as long as the modifier knows what they are doing). I have several motors that are modded with 8,10+ gallons of fuel.
murnan vs. powerhouse vs. protwister at the wiregrass ...i can all ready see the b.s flyin....my powerhouse turbo crank .24 extech should be able to strecth it out in dothan ...i mean if the track is big

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Tech Adept

+1 to everything POWERHOUSE said!

When you Mod an engine, you are making the change because there is something specific you want the engine to do that it presently does not. Exactly why you need to get used to the engine in stock configuration before you head down the road of the mod'ed engine. You will also find yourself experimenting with different pipes to match your altered engine to get the correct combo.

My favorite story... I mod'ed one of my truck engines years ago, an old O.S. .16 for my 2wd stadium truck. I made alterations to the sleeve, head and induction port (crank port) to stay soft on the low-end so it would hook-up out of tight corners but have some serious punch for the long straight. She was great off the line & out of the corners like I wanted, but when it got on the pipe @ 30,K RPM the backend would outrun the front and make the truck spin-out if it wasn't tracking perfectly straight. It was funny as hell to watch , but forced a change to header and pipe combo to soften the transition when the engine two-staged.

Long story, there are quite a few people who can mod engines. I mod all of my marine engines and can make killer mill for the pond. Ask me to mod an engne for a car.... Well the above story about says it all Talk with the engine builder and make sure they know what you want the engine to do but ALSO how you will be using it.
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
Mark at powerhouseperformance.com is the man. He recently modded a GRP tuned .21 for me. I spent 25 mins on the phone with him before he did the mod and told him what application I was using it in and where I wanted the engine to be strong at. He did a turbo mod for ma and the engine was exactly as I had requested. Mark knows his stuff I will never run a stock engine again. Just call Mark and chat with him on the phone he welcomes it.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote