R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Sorry for doing this

I know this has been talked up the whazoo guys, so i apologize. I do not mean to start a flame war here, but I am considering swapping rides from my current car the Hot Bodies D8, to something a bit more durable such as the MP9, MBX6, or Odonnell zo1b. The reason I am considering changing rides is due to a lack of durability and bad luck I have had with the D8. I love the way the D8 handles, and drives so I would like something with similar handling characteristics. I am open to more suggestions about different cars, but please post only personal experience with your particular car, and please do not bash or flame others for driving a particular car. Thanks again guys.
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

If I was changing rides I would go with the MBX6. Why? There is no real particular reason. I just like Mugen stuff. I have an MBX5T that is 4 years old and still all original parts from the box. Now I don't know if the new buggy is as durable as the old truggy or buggy, but that alone would make me buy the MBX6.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

the mp9 wont be much more durable then your d8, i raced one for about a month, had 2 arms break and the hingepin holders bend, wasnt any bad wrecks that caused the issue's, i ran the mbx6 for a few months really didnt break anything i have seen a few people break the carbon shock towers and the plastic upper hinge pin holder in front i didnt break a thing on it when i raced it, i had switched mainly because i had purchased the mp9 wasnt the best move, i had a zo1b when it first came out for a few weeks it wasnt bad but was old technology, they have updates on the new ones like the radio tray and bigbore shocks which should make it a better car then it was, out of the ones you have listed i would probably go with the mugen, i have been considering changing back myself it was really durable and turned well jumped good, accelerated hard
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

the mbx6 was my first choice prior to purchasing a D8. I have seen the new O'Donnell buggy and it looks great. How is the handling on the mbx6? How does it steering compare to the D8? I love how the d8 handles.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOSI. They are tough and handle great. Parts support is second to none in the 1/8 class. The 2.0 is really a great buggy and has been all but bullet proof so far for me.

But if you don't want to go that route my vote goes to the Mugen. Car looks dialed and should be very tough. The MP9 IMO is wayy over priced, and so are all of the kyosho parts. They make very nice cars but damn $$$. Plus I have seen and heard of some nasty stuff from the MP-9, like cjm said.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
LOSI. They are tough and handle great. Parts support is second to none in the 1/8 class. The 2.0 is really a great buggy and has been all but bullet proof so far for me.

But if you don't want to go that route my vote goes to the Mugen. Car looks dialed and should be very tough. The MP9 IMO is wayy over priced, and so are all of the kyosho parts. They make very nice cars but damn $$$. Plus I have seen and heard of some nasty stuff from the MP-9, like cjm said.
I was considering the 2.0 for the reaosn of parts support, and support at my local track is pretty overwhelming, but I have only driven a 1.0 slightly converted to 2.0 and it felt as if it didnt turn as good as my d8, as well as the rear end felt planted but slightly loose.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I have a mbx6. It is awesome. I have about 3 gallons on mine now with no broken parts. And you can get a mbx6 and the awesome jx21 ninja for the price of a mp9. I do like the way the mp9 looks but I have seen more of those break than anything. The mbx6 is the best buggy I have ever owned.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post

The Losi does look nice. I would recommend it also, but for me it's a tie between the Losi and Mugen because of the fact that there is so much support for the Losi at Rev (my local track) and the D8 has only a handful of drivers that consistently go to Rev and the on track hobby shop has next to no parts for the D8. Although I did find a local shop who will order parts for me.

Losi or Mugen either one can be made to handle like you want it to.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i have the 2.0 currently, it was awesome for the first month or so i raced it, it wears to quick, your best bet would be to get the new mugen, or if you want something that handles similar to the losi you might wanna check out the xb808 2009 spec, it jumps and turns like a losi but the rear end stays under it, and dosent wear as quick
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1126 View Post
i have the 2.0 currently, it was awesome for the first month or so i raced it, it wears to quick, your best bet would be to get the new mugen, or if you want something that handles similar to the losi you might wanna check out the xb808 2009 spec, it jumps and turns like a losi but the rear end stays under it, and dosent wear as quick
I want something that handles similar to my d8. The d8 was my first nitro 1/8th scale so I am still unaware of how different cars wear.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1126 View Post
XRAY makes some real good cars, but it has the same problem as the D8. Local hobby shops don't carry many parts for them.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My vote also goes to the Losi or Mugen for the same reasons Alan mentioned...parts support at Rev is rediculous, they have EVERYTHING for those cars (I'm sure Thunder Alley your home track is the same way?) I don't know about lack of durability on the D8 though...I've had some pretty gnarly stupid crashes and the thing just keeps goin'. I've got a spare car worth of spares and haven't had to use anything yet. (I probably just jinxed myself for saying that and will break everything this weekend though)
bajaracer1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well from everything ive seen of the D8, i would think the Z01b would be the closest in some of the handling areas.

But not very many shops stock parts, alot can get them, but not very many stock them.

If I was gonna change, it be to a Z01b or a MBX6. I like my 777 WC's. Its old school, I know. But it works for me. I drive really over aggressive and excited, and it seems to work. And I have a decent amount parts for them. So when I run out of parts or get over killed, it will be one of those 2 cars.