R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
Tech Addict

I would look towards the Mugen, I have seen ALOT of front LOSI 2.0 shock towers breaking. It appears to be a casting, then machined, not billet. Super brittle, and I know some having a little trouble getting the buggy the way they like it.

Ive seen Berry Pettit have great success with his MBX6 and it appears to be a solid car.

Good Luck
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Ask "D8" on here what he did. He was in the same boat as you.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO the losi 2.0 is a huge improvement over the 1.0. It turns better, jumps better, accellerates better and it much more durable. As for it being sloppy, well that is just the way losi's are designed and they handle better that way. Alot of the steering slop has been removed with the new servo saver and ackerman plate. It is really a dialed car. Only problem is like people have said the front shock tower. I have yet to have a problem, but have seen them bend or break. The KHZ tower solves that problem for $30. Like you said parts support is crazy for losi. So is setup info and support from the losi team and even support from horizon in the event of a problem. IMO losi is a very good bet. The mugen is too, But I have seen alot of breakage on the mbx6. I saw 2 front carbon towers snapped in one day, and they have had problems with the hinge pin blocks. Probably all easily fixable too. But IMO it has to be between the losi and the mugen for the best car right now. The xray is very good too, but has nowhere near the level of parts support that losi and mugen have. And I truly believe that the Kyosho is a good car, but for the $$$ it wouldn't be my choice.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Tech Addict

I hear the new Tamiya 801X looks pretty good and solid!! LOL

(Haven't posted in a while so I figured why not)...... > Of your choices I would choose the Mugen. Mugen's have always been know for there durability and they always drive great!
-Kal-Gard -TnT-Fx -TKO Bearings -Track Star
-Pyrographix Paints -Ballistic Batteries
TRCRacer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #20
Tech Regular

I appreciate all your replies guys. I got some more research to do.
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i am currently running a borrowed mbx6 and before i borrowed it i hated mugen but the 6 is nice drives good plenty of steering dosnt break the early kits had few problems but the updated kits are good to go out of the box parts support and set up support are good if know where to look. losi is good car people dont like losi because it gets loose but they never break and loose is fast as people have said the losi has great parts and setup support used to run losi always liked losi just tired of car maintence but all cars need that either is good choice cant go wrong with either imo.
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I recently got my D8 and will get some track time as soon as this stinkin SNOW gets outa here!

As far as durable buggies, I was always inpressed with the Jammin Buggies! In fact I was about to get a Jammin X1X-CR but got a great deal on the D8!

Cant believe nobody has reccommended the Jammin Buggy?
They were the "King" around here before the losi hit popularity last year!
But lots of the Losi guys around here jumped ship and got D8's so we'll see how the D8's hold up!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop

i ran the d8 i ran the mp9 and the mbx6 this winter
i am loving this mbx6 right now turn on a dime and it pretty tough to! set it up to drive like a losi or straped like a mad man it up to you
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Xpert,
I don't won't to sound like an ass but I will tell you like this. You should buy what you really want and what really looks good to you, otherwise you won't be happy with your choice. At our local track we have Losi, Mugen, and Xray sponsored drivers. Watching them they make their cars looked dialed, I am good friends with all of them and have known them for years. They all trade radio's and take laps with each others ride, and guess what THEY ALL DO GREAT! I bet they turn the Exact same lap times! Really you can make any of the buggies you mentioned turn on a dime. I mean these manufactures are the BEST in the WORLD and it's all about setup to driving style.

Ok now down to buisness.
1) I would not get th Kyosho on sheer fact they Overprice the chassis because they know ppl will pay it.
2) The AE is a Amazing car, But not nearly as tough as the Mug/Xray/Losi
3) Go to your track, talk to the "fast guys" and ask if you can take a lap or two because you are going to get another car. 95% of people will let you take a lap or two because they know how it is deciding between cars, I mean damn why should you drop 500-700 dollars on a guess. I say "fast guys" because they should atleast have a decent set-up on the car.
4)No matter what you get, the more you play with set ups and learning to make the car react how you want it will only HELP you. It will teach you alot, trust me.
5) I say the Losi or Xray, and Mugen. If you are a decent driver consider the AE. Most importantly get what you like, I promise you any of these cars can be setup to react and handle any way you need.

Josh
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #25
Tech Adept

teamassociated.com

rc8 buggy and coming soon the new updated version

steering mod
captured hinge pins
battery mod

its a great car handles awesome parts suport like no other and set up support nitro pit champion @ the moment
alexzone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Default RC8 FTW

+1 on the RC8. Handles great out of the box. Great factory and aftermarket parts support....

Losi - Spektrum - Byron's Fuel - Airtronics
Robbie
GSHobby.com
n10cities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
I know this has been talked up the whazoo guys, so i apologize. I do not mean to start a flame war here, but I am considering swapping rides from my current car the Hot Bodies D8, to something a bit more durable such as the MP9, MBX6, or Odonnell zo1b. The reason I am considering changing rides is due to a lack of durability and bad luck I have had with the D8. I love the way the D8 handles, and drives so I would like something with similar handling characteristics. I am open to more suggestions about different cars, but please post only personal experience with your particular car, and please do not bash or flame others for driving a particular car. Thanks again guys.

I dont blame you one bit.

I ran a D8 over the winter. I raced it 12 times. I only finished 7 of those races. Thats a finish to DNF ratio of just over 50%. The main problem I had with the car was cvd's. I broke so many cvd's on the D8 it was unreal. I almost always make the a-main, its not like I'm a hack driver. I even won a Sunday A-main with it at leisure hours raceway, with some very stiff competition, and like you I did like the way the car handled. I also had a huge problem with rear hubs, they were just to hard for cold indoor racing. I broke a few front very light impacts. I think the thing I disliked most was reading the D8 thread and all I ever read was "I never had that problem", "your setup is the problem". " i had my car for 6 gallons and haven't broke anything". Well that doesn't change the fact that I dnf'ed 5 a-mains with the car. So I got rid of it, it just wasn't working out for me, I drive to far to the track just to DNF.

I bought a losi 2.0, hopefully ill DNF less races with that car, plus I think it may suit my driving style a bit better, best of luck to ya.

Scott U.

Last edited by RacerScott; 03-28-2009 at 08:47 AM.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SH Z Car!! Hands down the most durable buggy made Parts are available, but not at local shops. For 230 bucks you can buy 3 for the price of one Kyosho. Handling is on par with the current group of top buggies and for proof Greg Degani Has put it in a few amains around the globe
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #29
Tech Adept

dude xray 808 ive ran it constant for almost a year straight and have only replaced parts due to slop like drive pins and a front hub carrier that i striped not to mention it is probablly the lightest car on the market
Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #30
Tech Elite

What does the xray weigh?
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote