R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #61
Regional Moderator
 
Jon Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Ok, I've got to say that you guys are missing the picture on the Pro Mod V-Specs. They are hand assembled at Great Planes, they get in a bunch of P/S's and fit them together so the pinch is optimized for longer life. They install an OS Ceramic rear bearing, Speed crank, 21JS carb(which is better just for the idle screw location) and drill the head. You are getting a Speed motor that has been P/S matched. This IS the motor to have. If you still don't want to go that route I'd lean toward the Spec II as well. Hard to beat an OS for tunability too.
__________________
Jon Carlson
Team Associated, Reedy
Futaba, OS Engines, O'Donnell Racing Fuel
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #62
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Ok, I've got to say that you guys are missing the picture on the Pro Mod V-Specs. They are hand assembled at Great Planes, they get in a bunch of P/S's and fit them together so the pinch is optimized for longer life. They install an OS Ceramic rear bearing, Speed crank, 21JS carb(which is better just for the idle screw location) and drill the head. You are getting a Speed motor that has been P/S matched. This IS the motor to have. If you still don't want to go that route I'd lean toward the Spec II as well. Hard to beat an OS for tunability too.
IMO the Ninja JX is still the best.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #63
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
I also bought my Speed from the same seller on ebay. The guy was awesome and he even sold parted out brand new speeds. I don't see him selling anymore, but hope he would cause I would've picked up a couple of things.
He is on here all the time. Maybe PM him to see if he still has anything. I got my speed from him directly, not ebay.

Here is his thread where I first saw him selling them

OS SPEED vzb 13897 ALUM HEAD NIB 400.00 SHIPPED 21JS CARB NEW VERSION
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #64
Regional Moderator
 
Jon Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

It's close, but with the slugged crank they are alot smoother. Plus you get ceramic bearings. Can't go wrong with either though.
__________________
Jon Carlson
Team Associated, Reedy
Futaba, OS Engines, O'Donnell Racing Fuel
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #65
Tech Elite
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,411
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Ok, I've got to say that you guys are missing the picture on the Pro Mod V-Specs. They are hand assembled at Great Planes, they get in a bunch of P/S's and fit them together so the pinch is optimized for longer life. They install an OS Ceramic rear bearing, Speed crank, 21JS carb(which is better just for the idle screw location) and drill the head. You are getting a Speed motor that has been P/S matched. This IS the motor to have. If you still don't want to go that route I'd lean toward the Spec II as well. Hard to beat an OS for tunability too.
Speed sleeve & VSpec sleeve are different, so its not a Speed.
__________________
Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Maxy's Fuel, KO Propo
O.S., Ninja JX, Novarossi, RMV
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #66
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Also, does the pro mod crank though hard coated is it filled and ramped too like the Speed?
__________________
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #67
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
Also, does the pro mod crank though hard coated is it filled and ramped too like the Speed?
Yeah it is a speed crankshaft.

As for the speed being smoother (pro mod included) because of the crankshaft, yes that is true. But I still feel the ninja is a better motor. In a truggy it is definately a better motor, and if you have a smooth throttle finger it is plenty smooth for a buggy.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #68
Regional Moderator
 
Jon Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Speed sleeve & VSpec sleeve are different, so its not a Speed.
I see they are different part #'s but they sure don't look different. The ports are all the same, no extra cuts on the speed. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference. Also, that might be what they use, not sure.
__________________
Jon Carlson
Team Associated, Reedy
Futaba, OS Engines, O'Donnell Racing Fuel
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #69
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
I see they are different part #'s but they sure don't look different. The ports are all the same, no extra cuts on the speed. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference. Also, that might be what they use, not sure.
No there is a difference. It is a very subtle difference and is hard to tell from looking at pictures. The main difference is the exhaust port, but there are other differences too.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #70
Tech Elite
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,411
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
I see they are different part #'s but they sure don't look different. The ports are all the same, no extra cuts on the speed. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference. Also, that might be what they use, not sure.
Side ports and exhaust are different. Even the first MAG Speed sleeves are different from current Speed sleeves.
__________________
Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Maxy's Fuel, KO Propo
O.S., Ninja JX, Novarossi, RMV
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #71
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
Default os engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
I see they are different part #'s but they sure don't look different. The ports are all the same, no extra cuts on the speed. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference. Also, that might be what they use, not sure.
The biggest difference in the liners are that the exhaust port has been cat eared. This helps with the flow leaving the engine. And it also matches the exhaust port on the case.

The Pro mod engine has a speed crank in it also. The engine has the same power range as a speed, it has been getting 11-12+ run time, they stay fresh longer do to the matched P\L. The engine is cheaper than a speed and its super smooth with crazy amount of power. There are alot of team guys running the engine and they love it.

Yes the nija engine is similar and cheaper but its not an OS. The part are alike but but missing the better qualities thats the OS engine has(speed). this is why the engine is cheaper. Im not say the engine is not good or junk its just a cheaper OS and thats it.
bbmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #72
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmods View Post
The biggest difference in the liners are that the exhaust port has been cat eared. This helps with the flow leaving the engine. And it also matches the exhaust port on the case.

The Pro mod engine has a speed crank in it also. The engine has the same power range as a speed, it has been getting 11-12+ run time, they stay fresh longer do to the matched P\L. The engine is cheaper than a speed and its super smooth with crazy amount of power. There are alot of team guys running the engine and they love it.

Yes the nija engine is similar and cheaper but its not an OS. The part are alike but but missing the better qualities thats the OS engine has(speed). this is why the engine is cheaper. Im not say the engine is not good or junk its just a cheaper OS and thats it.
There is nothing cheaper in quality about the ninja at all. Infact, quite the opposite. The ninja uses better parts than the OS branded engines do. For instance the use of the .28 block, solves the cracking case problems. The crankshaft is the same quality as the speed, just designed without the tungsten weights to provide a different power band. The con rod is identical to the speed. The carb is the same (21J), and the piston/sleeve are the same quality, just in a 5 port design. The ninja is IMO and in the opinion of many others, the best v-spec ever made. The speed is a great engine, but for the price I would rather have the ninja. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If you want the super smooth powerband of the speed, there is nothing that can replace that, but the ninja is every bit as good as the speed(quality wise).
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #73
Tech Elite
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,411
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
There is nothing cheaper in quality about the ninja at all. Infact, quite the opposite. The ninja uses better parts than the OS branded engines do. For instance the use of the .28 block, solves the cracking case problems. The crankshaft is the same quality as the speed, just designed without the tungsten weights to provide a different power band. The con rod is identical to the speed. The carb is the same (21J), and the piston/sleeve are the same quality, just in a 5 port design. The ninja is IMO and in the opinion of many others, the best v-spec ever made. The speed is a great engine, but for the price I would rather have the ninja. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If you want the super smooth powerband of the speed, there is nothing that can replace that, but the ninja is every bit as good as the speed(quality wise).
The JX21 sleeves maybe the same material as the Speed and VSpec, but the JX21 piston is not the same. The density or hardness of the Speed/VSpec pistons seem higher than the JX21.
__________________
Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Maxy's Fuel, KO Propo
O.S., Ninja JX, Novarossi, RMV
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #74
Tech Addict
 
Sam-E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 654
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
The JX21 sleeves maybe the same material as the Speed and VSpec, but the JX21 piston is not the same. The density or hardness of the Speed/VSpec pistons seem higher than the JX21.
I agree, I conducted a very scientific test by bashing both pistons against my pp and the Speed piston was much harder!!!!
__________________
TMORC - Official Club for the 1/10th Offroad Electric Worlds, 2012!!
Sam-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #75
Key
Tech Addict
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You pay for what you get and the Speed II is without question at the top of the food chain.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Kyosho MP9e TKI3 / ZX5 FS2
Futaba 4PK / OS Speed / Tekin / SMC
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:22 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net