R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #46
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
from what ive been told the nero isnt the beast some make it out to be, Stephen bess says the +4 has more touque but the nero hits allot harder mid to top.
Eitherway both speeds and toro neros are to much engine for most people.

whats with this ceramic bearing craze lately? I remeber in the late ninties cermaics were the thing to have in skateboarding but they have since disapeared for cheaper more durable abec 5 and abec 7 bearings. Seems the ceramic balls didnt like the stresses placed on them.

If your looking for a true beast of a engine you should talk to me.... I will build you an engine that delivers !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #47
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverM3 View Post
yes, i have the same exp with the G branded motor. A lot of hype. At the end, you get what you pay for. I never tried toro Nero, but it is just that not everyone can afford OS speed VspecII. $450 for a motor is very steep lol
No need for the speed II. It is just a normal speed with a lightened cooling head and a smaller set of carb inserts. You can get the normal speed for around $400. And before either of those consider the ninja JX. It preforms like a speed for $100 less. Might not be quite as smooth as a speed because of the lack of the tungsten slugs in the crank, but a very solid preforming engine.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #48
Key
Tech Addict
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
No need for the speed II. It is just a normal speed with a lightened cooling head and a smaller set of carb inserts. You can get the normal speed for around $400. And before either of those consider the ninja JX. It preforms like a speed for $100 less. Might not be quite as smooth as a speed because of the lack of the tungsten slugs in the crank, but a very solid preforming engine.
There is one more significant difference between an OS Speed I versus a II than what you've mentioned. Also the Speed II sells for $408. For 8 more beans it makes more sense to go for the latest and greatest.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Kyosho MP9e TKI3 / ZX5 FS2
Futaba 4PK / OS Speed / Tekin / SMC
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #49
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
There is one more significant difference between an OS Speed I versus a II than what you've mentioned. Also the Speed II sells for $408. For 8 more beans it makes more sense to go for the latest and greatest.
Where do you find a speed II for $408? The cheapest I have seen was $450-500.

And what is that significant difference? I don't know of any.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #50
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 727
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Where do you find a speed II for $408? The cheapest I have seen was $450-500.

And what is that significant difference? I don't know of any.
I got one for $450

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....897804e788134b

who is selling for $408?
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #51
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverM3 View Post
I got one for $450

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....897804e788134b

who is selling for $408?
Just did a little searching and found that rc-mushroom has it for $408. But I can't see how that would be a good deal because of the $70-80 that it would be to ship it from HK.

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=16273

I also did a little research and confirmed my earlier statement that the only difference between the normal speed and the speed II, is the drilled head and smaller carb insert set. That of coarse is not counting the laser etched world edition in the head. The carberator has also changed from the earlier speed models, but that change was made awhile ago to the normal speeds, when they made the change to the normal v-specs. The new carb is the 21JS, same as the ninja carb, same as the new v-spec carb, and same as the 28xz carb. My speed that I got for $400 has the new carb(21JS).
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #52
Key
Tech Addict
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Just did a little searching and found that rc-mushroom has it for $408. But I can't see how that would be a good deal because of the $70-80 that it would be to ship it from HK.

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=16273

I also did a little research and confirmed my earlier statement that the only difference between the normal speed and the speed II, is the drilled head and smaller carb insert set. That of coarse is not counting the laser etched world edition in the head. The carberator has also changed from the earlier speed models, but that change was made awhile ago to the normal speeds, when they made the change to the normal v-specs. The new carb is the 21JS, same as the ninja carb, same as the new v-spec carb, and same as the 28xz carb. My speed that I got for $400 has the new carb(21JS).
It's not that high. Shipping from HK to Toronto is $35. As for the OS itself it's the stores in Europe and the Americas that markup the OS engines pretty high.

It was mentioned in another forum that the material the sleeve is made out of has changed including the choice of metal for that added strength against wear&tear. Port timing is another I believe.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Kyosho MP9e TKI3 / ZX5 FS2
Futaba 4PK / OS Speed / Tekin / SMC
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #53
Tech Master
 
cary's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

what if any difference from the old carb to the new 21js old 21c??
__________________
Xray XB8 14,AE RC8T3,XB9 13,Kyosho wheeler,Losi SCTE 2.0,+ More
> The Animal,Frank L. Jr. <
~~~~RedRock Hobbies~~~~
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #54
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
It's not that high. Shipping from HK to Toronto is $35. As for the OS itself it's the stores in Europe and the Americas that markup the OS engines pretty high.

It was mentioned in another forum that the material the sleeve is made out of has changed including the choice of metal for that added strength against wear&tear. Port timing is another I believe.
Ok that is still $445 or so shipped to your door. Which I guess is not too bad, but you can get the same motor basically for $400 shipped to your door.

As for the matterial, nothing has changed, or timing for that matter. The p/s set still has the same part number, so nothing changed there.

As for the difference between the 21c and 21J carbs, the 21J is alot stronger in design. People were having problems with the 21c breaking in half because it was made out of 2 pieces. It also has the idle screw on the back of the carb which is much easier to reach when in a buggy/truggy. I'm not sure if there are any other differences. Preformance is the same, but the J is a much nicer carby.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #55
Key
Tech Addict
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Ok that is still $445 or so shipped to your door. Which I guess is not too bad, but you can get the same motor basically for $400 shipped to your door.
Where do you find an OS Speed for $400? The ones I see are from $450 and up. Much higher cost than a Speed II and that's without shipping.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Kyosho MP9e TKI3 / ZX5 FS2
Futaba 4PK / OS Speed / Tekin / SMC
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #56
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Where do you find an OS Speed for $400? The ones I see are from $450 and up. Much higher cost than a Speed II and that's without shipping.
There are several guys that sell them on ebay for $400. I personally got mine from cjm1126 on here for $400 shipped to my door. Not sure if he still has any, or can get any, but if he does that would be the way to go. Very cool guy with fast shipping. There are lots of places aroung with them for $400 or under, you just gotta do some looking. I know rc-toro.com has them for $385 + shipping from HK.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #57
Key
Tech Addict
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
There are several guys that sell them on ebay for $400. I personally got mine from cjm1126 on here for $400 shipped to my door. Not sure if he still has any, or can get any, but if he does that would be the way to go. Very cool guy with fast shipping. There are lots of places aroung with them for $400 or under, you just gotta do some looking. I know rc-toro.com has them for $385 + shipping from HK.
I'd rather pay $30 extra and get the II for 408 plus shipping
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Kyosho MP9e TKI3 / ZX5 FS2
Futaba 4PK / OS Speed / Tekin / SMC
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #58
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
I'd rather pay $30 extra and get the II for 408 plus shipping
Whatever man. It's your money, I am just saying, you CAN get the SAME engine for less $$.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #59
Key
Tech Addict
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Whatever man. It's your money, I am just saying, you CAN get the SAME engine for less $$.
Understood but not that much less as you had initially thought.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Kyosho MP9e TKI3 / ZX5 FS2
Futaba 4PK / OS Speed / Tekin / SMC
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #60
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
There are several guys that sell them on ebay for $400. I personally got mine from cjm1126 on here for $400 shipped to my door. Not sure if he still has any, or can get any, but if he does that would be the way to go. Very cool guy with fast shipping. There are lots of places aroung with them for $400 or under, you just gotta do some looking. I know rc-toro.com has them for $385 + shipping from HK.
I also bought my Speed from the same seller on ebay. The guy was awesome and he even sold parted out brand new speeds. I don't see him selling anymore, but hope he would cause I would've picked up a couple of things.
__________________
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:24 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net