R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #16
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iholla View Post
Ohhhh Hell yea!!! The Speed Rocks
You can only lean out a motor so far, I am sorry but I have had better, more powerful motors and for less.

Get the NOVA!!!
AEFT2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is the same question we get all the time. If you are torn between one motor or the other there is a chance that maybe you shouldn't get either.

The truth is that for a racer to use either motor, they have to be able to drive and understand their own needs and tendencies. With this knowledge, they can make a better selection as to which motor suits their need more.

Also, if you are looking at either of these motors you should be able to afford whatever maintenance cost each of them have. Also, if you are looking at one of these, you should be able completely tear down a motor or have the money to pay somone to do this. If costs is a factor, then maybe a middle end motor would be better instead of these outstanding motors. It's like buying a ferrari and not being able to change the oil for one reason or another.

Another thing is that we always see this question come in, which motor is better or longer lasting. There are way too many variables to truely consider when trying to evaluate a motor. The bottom line is either of these motors are able to win with the right driver behind them, the real question should be which one can you afford or able to maintain.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

OS SPEED 2 best engine in off road for me.

novarossi mmm is not the best for me...novarossi RULE in on road...
amonmp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
This is the same question we get all the time. If you are torn between one motor or the other there is a chance that maybe you shouldn't get either.

The truth is that for a racer to use either motor, they have to be able to drive and understand their own needs and tendencies. With this knowledge, they can make a better selection as to which motor suits their need more.

Also, if you are looking at either of these motors you should be able to afford whatever maintenance cost each of them have. Also, if you are looking at one of these, you should be able completely tear down a motor or have the money to pay somone to do this. If costs is a factor, then maybe a middle end motor would be better instead of these outstanding motors. It's like buying a ferrari and not being able to change the oil for one reason or another.

Another thing is that we always see this question come in, which motor is better or longer lasting. There are way too many variables to truely consider when trying to evaluate a motor. The bottom line is either of these motors are able to win with the right driver behind them, the real question should be which one can you afford or able to maintain.
What a load of dribble , the guy just asked for personal experiences on two motors which people have given.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEFT2009 View Post
What a load of dribble , the guy just asked for personal experiences on two motors which people have given.
The bottom line is that the driver and the style really dictate what motor is better. When I buy a motor, it's not because of what someone says or the hype of the motor. I look at the specs and try to watch other who have the motors run. Why buy a motor that will last 20 gallons if the motor itself has too much punch for their driving style? I think most racers would rather finish well and pay a little more to maintain their motor than to buy a motor that needs nothing but can't finish well in races due in part to the engine not complementing the drivers style and setup.

I have OS Speeds and novarossi's that I use. Both engines are excellent, just their performance strengths and weaknesses are in different areas. In addition, longevity again depends too much on variables. Drivers maintenance, conditions, plug selection, fuel, etc. the list goes on and on. When someone is asking for advise like this, ultimately it is up to the driver to make a choice. I for one would rather do a little more maintenance(changing a bearing or so is not so bad once you do it once), than to not finish well.

Both of these motors(the toro and speed) are top notch motors and the performance between the two again are very close and the difference really is on the driver, setup, and tuning.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Chocolate or Vanilla .....Jack Daniels or Ex-Lax.......Oh... you want Jacklax.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

alot of the people that are gonna talk bad about the speed havent owned one or wont spend the money to get one, in most cases people that have owned them like them, its a smooth reliable engine that gets good fuel economy, you can get similar performance out of the jx for less money
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1126 View Post
alot of the people that are gonna talk bad about the speed havent owned one or wont spend the money to get one, in most cases people that have owned them like them, its a smooth reliable engine that gets good fuel economy, you can get similar performance out of the jx for less money
+1 on the JX. It might not be quite as smooth as the speed but it certainly preforms like it. IMO JX in truggy and SPEED in buggy both with 2060's would be the most bangin setup.

As for longevity OS has no problems. My stock v-spec has 7-8 gallons on it right now and is running better than ever. The speed and JX should easily outlast that when taken care of and tuned correctly.

IMO every engine needs a set of Ceramic bearings(I use TKO). I have had more bearing failures in my novarossi's than in my OS engines. I also believe that every engine needs a rod eventually in it's lifetime, preferably around 3 gallons or so.

As for preformance between the novarossi engines and the OS engines, the OS's have blown my nova's away. I just can't get over the crazy stupid pinch that novarossi engines have and hold onto. All that pinch does nothing but wear the engine out and limit preformance. I have seen way too many novarossi bearings go bye bye. I used to swear by Nova's but my opinion has definately changed after my experiences lately and seeing others experiences.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default OsOsOsos

OSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOS OS!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bad_b4

i will testify...i have ran about every brand of engine on the market in 1 offroad or another...i recently got a OS Vspec for my truggy...it makes far more power than my $620 Sirio S27R.

another friend has the same motor,and i think he is at 10+ gallons on the original piston/sleeve/rod assembly.

i will be the first to admit that i dislike OS engines because of their price,and they always change to newer stuff,thus making it hard to get parts for what you originally purchased....HOWEVER...i am very pleased with this engine and it is wicked sick in my truggy even with a 6mm carb restrictor...im also getting about 12-13 minute run times...temps are at about 195.
bad_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They have both models of the V-Spec, the standard and the Speed. If you don't to spend the money on the Speed, get the Standard. The Speed is a better engine but I don't think it's that much better for the money. I do have 2 Speeds, 2 standard versions and I still have to break in my JX21. I'm happy with the 4 engine I have run. My oldest one is 7-8 gallons I think. That's my Mag head one. It still pull's really strong and holds it's tune very well. I bet I get at least another 4 gallons out of it.

Longevity of an engine will depend on a few things. Fuel, tune, plugs, track conditions( loose dirt in the bearings), how often you change your filter, contaminants in the fuel tank, how often you "death rev", etc....
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Tech Addict

OS just came out with a new model inbetween the Speed and standard models. I think they call it the pro model. It comes with a hard coated crank, ceramic bearings, and the new carb. I think towers has them listed fro 399. It's a bit high, but if you want an os mill without paying for the over 500 plus for the speed, then this may be an option for you.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
OS just came out with a new model inbetween the Speed and standard models. I think they call it the pro model. It comes with a hard coated crank, ceramic bearings, and the new carb. I think towers has them listed fro 399. It's a bit high, but if you want an os mill without paying for the over 500 plus for the speed, then this may be an option for you.
Why would you buy a #2 OS motor for that amount of money when you could buy a flagship GRP, Novarossi, Sirio, AXE Rossi or for a little more a flagship RB. I think you could even purchase a JP based engine, heck for a little more you could buy a GRP equipped with a pipe.

If you want to purchase an OS based motor get a Ninja, the Ninja's at my track are more economical and faster anyway.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)
Default mag head?

a little off topic, can you run the mag head, or is it better to run the stock v-spec head on the original speed motors. i read alot of bad things about the mag head, but at the track i talked to several people who said they never had any problems out of the mag head.
Reds racing USA.
patrick lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

you can run whatever head you want, itll run fine.

the only people having problems with it, are the people who tune to temp and not performance IMO