R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default standard Vspec or Ninja JX B01A?

I've had I had an O.S speed AL and a standard blue head then a Nova P4 and most recently a GRP tuned.
And none of them match the O.S in the Down low torque department (which i really like) so i'm goin back to the O.S based engines.
I'll admit the P4 was good in it's own way but i prefer the way O.S engines hit down low.
The Grp was a Total dissapointment...no comment.
So now, i'm about to purchase a new engine and i've narowed it down the ninja or the blue Vspec.
Which has the best run times and low end torque?
PS, I would also consider a Novarossi P5X if it does in fact have more bottom end snap than the O.S engines.
Please, only first hand experiences thank you.
gameholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well i have had the standard Vspec, the Speed and the Spec II Speed.. I have driven the JX .21 and i have driven the Nova 4 as well i personally love the OS engines cause i have found them to be so smooth on the bottom and snap out of the hole very well plus the run times are insane. The JX .21 is basically the Vspec with a different head although it does smash the power on the bottom instead of being as smooth as the Vspec but the standard Vspec has it issues but there is a new one out now which is part #OSMG2067 Which is the "Pro Mod Vspec" and in reality it is a Vspec with the ceramic bearing installed the Speed conrod and the new carburator that is found on the Spec II plus it carries the Spec II crankshaft.

Personal choice out of every engine i have found i would go with the OS in reality what does the hobby shops around you carry as that will be better to figure out what you should run as for parts availability for the motors you are about to run.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

I have run a P5x and it pulled like a semi. I could spin out in a corner and still clear a triple.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I like Ninja JX, the only thing I wish it had was a ceramic rear bearing. It has additional porting, good low end, screams on the high, has the wear resistant coating on the crank, designed to use the P3 plug, and easy to tune. I use Vspecs both in the speed and normal variants. Get a TKO rear ceramic and instal it a little after break in and you should have a pretty solid motor.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

They are both great motors! I love my os speed !!! And the OS carbs are Ausom....
prohobbyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2 things to look at, the os is awesome in every sence of the word, and the JX imo is a step abouve. and 2 when it does come time to rebuild, the JX is less money over time, and the same price as a v spec with half the life, the JX simply out last the v spec, the sleeves are tighter, and when brokin correctly they last and hold compresion much longer.

hard choice.
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

i have only driven other racers rides w/ vspec and jx 21 , in doing so i realized that the p5xs in fact has more low end . not exactly "more" in every sense of the but different more make sense

novarossi is a sort of guarantee you will get a great running engine that is easy to tune . the p5xs is "the engine" that i use in the truggy 95% of the time . just an all around killer engine , great performance value as it can be piped, clutched, plugged, geared to run so many different ways and responds well to all the changes . cant say that for some engines i have been impressed w/ the jx engine but it is still not a novarossi

p5xs is better priced also

monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ninja JX all the way. Runs like a v-spec but lasts alot longer. The DLC crankshaft and speed rod alone are worth the extra cash over the normal blue head v-spec. Although I am not sure the Bo1A is nessicary. You can get the Bo1 for like $310 now. Only difference is that it doesn't have the lightened head and it has an 8mm carb insert instead of a 7mm. But IMO either one of the ninjas are better than the v-spec. IMO there better than the speed if you like alot of bottom end torque. The ninja crankshaft lacks the slugs of the speed, which makes it harder hitting on the bottom. If you like a very smooth motor like the speed, consider the pro mod v-spec, which is basically a speed but cheaper. Any of the above are good choices.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i know the topic is for a v spec...but a hot mods nova FMS hits like a freight train down low and keeps on pulling

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I cant think of a nova that is going to have the same low end grunt as a vspec, a vspec does have a feel all of its own. But I would get the ninja if you are going to get an os based motor. It is more durable in every way and overall a better purchase.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
I cant think of a nova that is going to have the same low end grunt as a vspec, a vspec does have a feel all of its own. But I would get the ninja if you are going to get an os based motor. It is more durable in every way and overall a better purchase.
Introducing MR. TORO NERO
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

out of the 2 that you have picked i would say get the ninja they are close in price, dont worry about getting the one with the drilled head if u can save some money getting the older head version
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OS V Spec Pro Mod, just like a speed but a less of a hit in the pocket 399 on tower.
l3asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

interesting thread...cool that I have had both of these engines and MANY others..
really a toss up between the 2, the jx has more overall power but the v spec with a jp-3 has more bottom grunt, fuel mileage is similar unless you run a 2050 then the v spec trumps the jx. both engines are VERY dependable, I have a new version vspec blue head but updated carb and bearing I guess.
I put 8 gallons on a jx and currently have 4 1/2 on the vspec with no issues with either one. If I had to narrow it down to one then it would be the blue head updated v spec with a 2050 pipe. as far as price to rebuild I have no idea, the only motor I have recently rebuilt was an RB and thats just for practice.
fast for an old guy
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'm leanning towards the Vspec the price difference on most sites is not negligeable + - 40 bucks
Any links towards dyno charts for both engines?
gameholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote