R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   brand new engine, wont turn over (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/284563-brand-new-engine-wont-turn-over.html)

murdermode 03-23-2009 07:59 PM

brand new engine, wont turn over

i just ran a tank of fuel through it, at idle, then i put some after run oil in it because i wont be able to get back to it til tomorrow, and the engine wont crank, it's just stuck, it has a pull start and i cant pull it, any ideas

Bulldawg RC 03-23-2009 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5588817)
i just ran a tank of fuel through it, at idle, then i put some after run oil in it because i wont be able to get back to it til tomorrow, and the engine wont crank, it's just stuck, it has a pull start and i cant pull it, any ideas

Use a heat gun to warm up the engine and then try to start it. If you do not have a heat gun, use a hair dryer....works pretty good.

murdermode 03-23-2009 08:17 PM

it wont mess it up, i mean it will still break in right wont it

JAMMINKRAZY 03-23-2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5588925)
it wont mess it up, i mean it will still break in right wont it

Actually it is quite the opposite. Heat is a good thing for nitro engines. By heating it up you will save the parts alot of unneeded stress from the cold metal pinch. Also if you put alot of after run in, you might have flooded the engine with it. If this is the case, you will need to pull the plug out and crank it over to get rid of the excess oil. :nod:

murdermode 03-23-2009 08:48 PM

so if i get it to BDC and try it again tomorrow morning it will work just fine, i dont want to pull the starter to hard and break something

Bulldawg RC 03-23-2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5588969)
Actually it is quite the opposite. Heat is a good thing for nitro engines. By heating it up you will save the parts alot of unneeded stress from the cold metal pinch. Also if you put alot of after run in, you might have flooded the engine with it. If this is the case, you will need to pull the plug out and crank it over to get rid of the excess oil. :nod:

+1

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5589054)
so if i get it to BDC and try it again tomorrow morning it will work just fine, i dont want to pull the starter to hard and break something

Remember to heat the engine!!! Do not heat the Carb, stick to the engine block.

doubletap 03-23-2009 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5589054)

Exactly, you might break the one way bearing.

murdermode 03-23-2009 10:04 PM

so if i got it heated up and moved it to BDC, it should work just fine tomorrow morning?

Trevor Williams 03-23-2009 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5589429)
so if i got it heated up and moved it to BDC, it should work just fine tomorrow morning?

no real need to heat it just to move it to BDC.......before starting, of course.......so yes, in theory, given nothing else went wrong you should be fine tomm. morning.........no real need for after-run oil unless you are storing engine for an extended period then a little doesnt hurt.........burn good fuel and forget about after-run oil otherwise, its WAY overrated and un-necessary for use in short term applications IMO if you burn good fuel.

murdermode 03-23-2009 10:26 PM

so whats good fuel, all my hobby shop sells is traxxas and blue thunder, and i hear those are the worst, is that true

Trevor Williams 03-23-2009 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5589500)
so whats good fuel, all my hobby shop sells is traxxas and blue thunder, and i hear those are the worst, is that true

Traxxas is moosepiss and Blue Thunder is inconsistent from batch to batch..........I have heard bad things about both, but zero hands on with it.

If your LHS can get blue thunder,they can get you Trinity platinum, my friend has great luck with it, I am currently running EB Mods 30% and its good, but I will making a switch to Byrons gen2 30% for my new mill ;)

murdermode 03-23-2009 10:34 PM

what about nitrotane or odonells, are they any good

Trevor Williams 03-23-2009 10:40 PM

O'donnell is good fuel, Nitrotane I have no idea.

Scott Fisher 03-23-2009 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by murdermode (Post 5589521)
what about nitrotane or odonells, are they any good

Both are good fuel, but I would still put after run oil in anytime you aren't going to run the engine for a few days or more. It doesn't hurt anything and ALL fuels attract moisture. Whenver you finish running your engine, run all the fuel out of it and then add some after run.

cary 03-23-2009 10:45 PM

i like odonnell fuel dont like the price at $42.99 at my lhs but i pay it