R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default BROKEN CRANKSHAFT!!

I just broke my Werks TL21B7 ProC Crankshaft!!! How could this happened? A mechanic in my regular LHS said, this is very rare case! I always run in normal operating temps between 80-90 degree celcius, using 25% fuel and never go into race...I'm very sad today ...I know this crankshaft is darn expensive...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
I just broke my Werks TL21B7 ProC Crankshaft!!! How could this happened? A mechanic in my regular LHS said, this is very rare case! I always run in normal operating temps between 80-90 degree celcius, using 25% fuel and never go into race...I'm very sad today ...I know this crankshaft is darn expensive...
werks used to have a problem with their cranks....is this an older motor ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
vr6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

welcome to the sirio and sirio based broken crankshaft club.....

2 for me to date. and about 3-5 for my racing area

sirio's are junk......... flat out junk.....

Also my local track Race em r/c. Rockford Illinois
vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
werks used to have a problem with their cranks....is this an older motor ?
I think mine is 2008...why?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
welcome to the sirio and sirio based broken crankshaft club.....

2 for me to date. and about 3-5 for my racing area

sirio's are junk......... flat out junk.....
what??? I thought werks motor is tough ....so what do you recommend for .21 engine?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
what??? I thought werks motor is tough ....so what do you recommend for .21 engine?

for an X1 CRT...a JPX.21 will fit the bill Nicely.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Go OS. Or the new JX Ninja from Mugen. Picco's don't get the run times that some others do and the Jammin engines are rebadged Picco's. I liked mine when I ran it but was tired or 1-2 minutes on a tank than the guy running the OS pitting beside me. The OS makes all the power that you'll need and still give you incredible runtimes.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Tech Lord

you can get 10+min a tank on a Jammin/Picco...they just need a little tweeking.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Go OS. Or the new JX Ninja from Mugen. Picco's don't get the run times that some others do and the Jammin engines are rebadged Picco's. I liked mine when I ran it but was tired or 1-2 minutes on a tank than the guy running the OS pitting beside me. The OS makes all the power that you'll need and still give you incredible runtimes.
+1 for the Ninja. IMO one of the best buggy/truggy engines on the market. Pair it with a JP-3 and it will sing in your truggy and get 10+ minute runtimes no problem. My v-spec was running 11 min runtimes on the monster motorama track in my truggy, and that was with the 9mm carb insert. I am confident that these motors(v-spec or ninja) would do 13+ minutes on a small to medium sized track in a truggy. And the power is awesome! Longevity issues? what longevity issues? I have 7 gallons on my v-spec bone stock and it is running better than ever.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
you can get 10+min a tank on a Jammin/Picco...they just need a little tweeking.
But why not have a no brainer that can do that. And with a little tweaking, even more. They're right around the same price too. I have more run time on my OS's than I could even imagine out of a Picco. Picco's are good, no question. The OS's are better.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
But why not have a no brainer that can do that. And with a little tweaking, even more. They're right around the same price too. I have more run time on my OS's than I could even imagine out of a Picco. Picco's are good, no question. The OS's are better.
no brainer do what ?

picco's are a harder metal.....any modder will tell you that....and V-spec's do NOT put up with abuse....run em lean even once and the motor's pooched......as far as durability goes Picco is better then OS.

PS my modded jpx.21 in truggy at the nats has Well Over 10+gallons.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My modified JPX .21's were able to pull 12 minute pitstops at the Canadian Nationals, more runtime then the V-Specs or Ninja JX's..... The power of the Picco is also off the hook and much stronger then the OS engines....However because of the extra power we ended up running the V-Spec's in buggy, the Picco's were a little too potent...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice guys....I just curious, could this happened because I overtighten the flywheel nut? Because this is the first time I installed a flywheel with my own hand, usually my LHS mechanic get the job done....
Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Tech Elite

We had one V Spec in a truggy go almost 15 minutes. This was a stock one, not modified. That was at the winter bats as well. I heard claims of 19 in the main but I'd say an easy 12 for sure, not stretching. Hard to beat that in my mind. Plus the thing about not ever having to adjust any needle more than about an hour oncenyouve got it tuned in, over the course of the weekend!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
We had one V Spec in a truggy go almost 15 minutes. This was a stock one, not modified. That was at the winter bats as well. I heard claims of 19 in the main but I'd say an easy 12 for sure, not stretching. Hard to beat that in my mind. Plus the thing about not ever having to adjust any needle more than about an hour oncenyouve got it tuned in, over the course of the weekend!
We run V-Specs as well...they are great engines....locally here in manitoba we find the extra power and RPM of the Picco to be better suited to our dirt....at the nats a few drivers had to fatten the Picco's up to keep the bottom end in check, a little too much torque for the track conditions....The V-specs we were able to tune more agressively and not lose control of the bottom end...I do know stock vs stock the V-Spec definitely gets better mileage , however modded Picco vs Stock V-Spec the Picco gets better mileage...modded vs modded they are very close...one of my drivers was testing a EB V-Spec and it did good, but lacked the same power and runtime my mills were getting, tho runtime was close power was not.....Now as you know runtime is also determined by the drivers trigger finger, which is why for our testing we have to use the same driver for each engine, as different driving styles can give one engine an advantage over the other..... either way we are equipped with both OS and Picco's as well as a few RB C6 engines..... Also to note I think we now have our Picco's dialed better then anyone else, as we are getting way better runtimes with these engines then anyone else we have seen so far.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote