R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default slimey liquid coming from my exhaust when running my nitro

hey guys, i have a slimey liquid coming from the exhaust while running my nitro motor, i think it might be because i put too much WD-40 into the motor as after run last time i ran it? not sure tho, any ideas?
tomcat778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

It is most likely normal. Just a little unburned fuel/oil. Probably means your tune is a little rich...which is not a bad thing, especially in colder ambient temps.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

yer true, i never thuaght it would be that thick tho, atleast i know my motor is well lubricated haha, its better than having nuthing come out lol
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Having your engine run too cold is not good either though. Running cold puts additional strain on the conrod, it's bushing, and crank pin. Usually, I like run my motors in the 200-240 range. Each motor is different, so you'll have to play with it a bit, but the rule of thumb is that you don't want to run an engine too cold or too hot either.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

lol i live in australia so i know it was running cold :P
Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

it is a rich condition but the thickness could also be the oil content in the fuel.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
Having your engine run too cold is not good either though. Running cold puts additional strain on the conrod, it's bushing, and crank pin. Usually, I like run my motors in the 200-240 range. Each motor is different, so you'll have to play with it a bit, but the rule of thumb is that you don't want to run an engine too cold or too hot either.
Is it better to tune using temperature or by watching the smoke? My slayer said to lean it out untill performance drops, the richen the mixture 1/16 of a turn.
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I use a couple of things when I tune, I use temps as a reference point. I also look at what's coming out of the exhaust when I blip it. I'll put a couple of fingers next to the stinger to see if oil is still being expelled and how much. these are just a few of the things I use when I tune my motor. I also take into consideration glow plug selection, aftermarket head use, clutch, etc. into my overall tuning.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

wow i have allot to learn about nitro motors haha, its a shame i have a bloody .46 truckzilla engine to learn off! i hear they are just difficult to keep tune and tune in the first place :P haha
Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

NEVER use WD-40 as after run oil. It can ruin the o-rings in the carb. If the crankshaft is silicone filled, it will cause that to come loose from the crank and then it's toast. Use after run oil made for the engine.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to mamba4life Send a message via Yahoo to mamba4life

I think the best after run is marvel mistery oil, ,
you can get it at your local auto parts store its 100% .
Cheap and lasts a long time.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm curious, what does clutch/head/plug have to do with the tune? I mean I understand how it affects it and temps and such, but don't you want the same results in the end - snappy off-idle response and a good powerband? clutch doesn't lean or richen the engine out, does it?

Just trying to learn.... thanks
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Clutch tuning is very important, but maybe one of the least understood tuning option.

Not always would you want the clutch to be snappy. Some conditions would need a softer clutch engagement due to driving style/track conditions. Also, the materials used also affect the response of the vehicle to throttle inputs. Springs also change the engagement point as well. A properly tuned clutch can have an enormous impact on fuel mileage and clutch longevity.

You can tune a motor too lean on the bottom to make up for a poorly tuned clutch. You can also have the motor tuned correctly, but because the wrong shoe material, weight, and springs are used it could make the car feel out of tune or not at the optimum tune. A poorly tuned clutch could also engage the clutch too soon causing the motor to bog down and become sluggish. Most tuners will try and lean out the bottom end to compensate it but what this really does is mask the true problem. In addition, when you lean out the bottom too much, you starve the engine of vital lubricants at lower speeds which help protect the motor at the higher revolution band. Also, as the fuel tank empties you start to see the motor running even leaner due to less pressure in the fuel tank. This causes motors to run a bit hotter and if you already leaned the bottom, this can cause a significant increase in engine temps.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ah I see, clutch tuning as in springs and shoes, got it. I thought it was some weird concept of rich/lean according to the clutch, but I see what you're saying, makes sense. Thanks for going into detail
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote