R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Throtle Servo Fried, Thoughts On Why?????

Well my throtle/brake servo fried today. What is weird is the throtle servo fried before the steering? Losi 8 B.

I have three diffrent thoughts on why it went out.

#1 I put 2 composite shoes on the clutch and I a now running 2 aluminum silver springs and 2 composites gold springs. Could the new power have caused this?

#2 After changing out the center diff oil my brakes were way off. I got some help to tighten them up. Before when I hit the throttle the wheels would continually spin. With the breaks adjusted the wheels slow down much faster and do no continue to spin for a long time. I asked if this was ok and the person helping me said yes its good. The wheels do move freely without grap when no brake is applied.

#3 It was on its last leg and was going to die any minute. I have been using the stock cheap spektrums up until this point. I have had the spektrums now for 3 months.

I am hoping that my problem was number 3 but something tells me it could be number 2. Forgot to mention I did a couple of flips in the air and landed really hard on the cement then it fried.

Going to take the spektrum steering servo and put that on the throtle and go with a hitec for the steering. Thought on why the servo died????????????????
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post
Well my throtle/brake servo fried today. What is weird is the throtle servo fried before the steering? Losi 8 B.

#1 I put 2 composite shoes on the clutch and I a now running 2 aluminum silver springs and 2 composites gold springs. Could the new power have caused this?

#2 After changing out the center diff oil my brakes were way off. I got some help to tighten them up. Before when I hit the throttle the wheels would continually spin. With the breaks adjusted the wheels slow down much faster and do no continue to spin for a long time. I asked if this was ok and the person helping me said yes its good. The wheels do move freely without grap when no brake is applied.

#3 It was on its last leg and was going to die any minute. I have been using the stock cheap spektrums up until this point. I have had the spektrums now for 3 months.

I am hoping that my problem was number 3 but something tells me it could be number 2. Forgot to mention I did a couple of flips in the air and landed really hard on the cement then it fried.

Going to take the spektrum steering servo and put that on the throtle and go with a hitec for the steering. Thought on why the servo died????????????????
Did you set the End Point Adjustments for the throttle and brake?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldp787 View Post
Did you set the End Point Adjustments for the throttle and brake?
I cant say I did. The only thing I did was I made sure the radio and battery was on and I had the servo horns off so that it was at zero. Put the servo arm on and ran it like I normally do.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Tech Regular

i would say it was your endpoints. clutch has nothin to do with it.

Team Hudson
HarleyMf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (99%+)

I have been having this issue on my 8ight t and it fries throttle servos. One after the next and that was doing my end points perfect and everything else I and other can think of. Another thing I was tols was that the servo might be too close to the chassis and landing had, the servo hits the bottom of the chassis and causes damage.. but i dont know as I run the 2.0 tray now!
jldjlaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Check your servo saver and make sure it's not to tight. Remove the servo arm and make sure that all your steering assembly is nice and smooth.
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (99%+)

LOL ummmm were talking about the throttle servo man! Steering servos work great.
jldjlaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjlaudio View Post
LOL ummmm were talking about the throttle servo man! Steering servos work great.
Ohh $*(# wrong thread. LOL
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post

#1 No

#2 The wheels should spin freely at idle and full throttle. If not they get excessively hot and you will experience brake fade. It could be possible that the excessive heat could have traveled from the linkage to your servo and killed the electronics. It's a long shot though.

#3 Possibly

The 8ight 1.0B kills cheap throttle servos like crazy. As far as I know the 1.0B never had issues with the steering servo. Could be wrong though. The throttle servo is most infamous for breaking.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

i always run some fuel tubing on my throttle linkage.i put a small piece on the rod that pulls the carb ,so that the servo is pulling on the fuel tubing.it is kind of like a servo saver for throttle.this way,when the chassis flexes and you are at full throttle,the linkage has a little "give" before all the flex is transfered to your servo.i think i recognize your car from hobbytown today.i ll try and show you in person.also if it was the stock 270 servo,besurprised it lasted this long.they really arent suited to an 1/8 scale.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethklok151 View Post
i always run some fuel tubing on my throttle linkage.i put a small piece on the rod that pulls the carb ,so that the servo is pulling on the fuel tubing.it is kind of like a servo saver for throttle.this way,when the chassis flexes and you are at full throttle,the linkage has a little "give" before all the flex is transfered to your servo.i think i recognize your car from hobbytown today.i ll try and show you in person.also if it was the stock 270 servo,besurprised it lasted this long.they really arent suited to an 1/8 scale.

Yep that was me at hobbytown today. I went out so my boy could flip some cars and broke some parts on my buggy that I wanted to fix while support was around.

Yeh I cant believe the stock servo lasted this long as well.

I will take all the help I can get in person. Thanks for your help.