R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smracer31
Questions?? Anybody Cryo An Rc Engine Before?

I come from the world of motorsport's and we Cryogenicly treat a lot of high wear items on our race cars, brake rotors/pads, diff/trans, motor internals etc. and the results are amazing. Im curious if anyone has done this to an rc motor? I would think it might help with the longevity of the motor, keeping everything nice and tight for a longer period of time. I was going to try it on my next rc motor but was curious if anyone else had tried it with good results?
smracer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smracer31 View Post
I come from the world of motorsport's and we Cryogenicly treat a lot of high wear items on our race cars, brake rotors/pads, diff/trans, motor internals etc. and the results are amazing. Im curious if anyone has done this to an rc motor? I would think it might help with the longevity of the motor, keeping everything nice and tight for a longer period of time. I was going to try it on my next rc motor but was curious if anyone else had tried it with good results?
interesting , i have heard of it but not sure how it would work on a plated surface such as the a/b/c p/s system we use in our engines
would def. work on the crank

i am interested , whats the temp you guys go down to for steel ? aluminum?
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Around -300 deg F? Pretty damn cold...

Do you cycle cold to hot, cold to hot? Or just go from cold to room temp?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The closest thing to it. http://z-carstore.com//catalog/produ...products_id=42 The ceramic coating of the piston has many benefits.
1 The friction coefficient between ceramic and the cylinder wall is WAY less than bare aluminum
2 The engine lasts 10 gallons+
3 It absolutely hauls ass
4 It revs really fast and sounds different most say
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
The closest thing to it. http://z-carstore.com//catalog/produ...products_id=42 The ceramic coating of the piston has many benefits.
1 The friction coefficient between ceramic and the cylinder wall is WAY less than bare aluminum
2 The engine lasts 10 gallons+
3 It absolutely hauls ass
4 It revs really fast and sounds different most say
I thought that ceramic coatings inside the engine were illegal for racing.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a friend who has been doing this to his engines for years. He says his internals last a lot longer. I have not tried it yet.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Tech Prophet

would be nice to know what parts being cry'od would be beneficial and what would be harmful , what temps to go too , how long , so many things to try
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smracer31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I have a friend who has been doing this to his engines for years. He says his internals last a lot longer. I have not tried it yet.
Could you find out what temperature he is doing it at? I plan on trying it for my next motor to see if i can squeeze more life out of it. I plan on doing the rod, piston, sleeve and crank.
smracer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #9

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

From what I've heard (a good friend of mine works with metallurgy in motorsports for a big company overseas) it takes quite a bit of skill and process to get cryo treating just right. If you do it wrong you make the part very brittle or cause internal cracks to start.

I'd just call up a company that specializes in treating parts like that. I have heard of folks racing using Diversified Cryogenics for some parts, not to mention they sell their own line of brake rotors which I ran on my last car.

http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Could you find out what temperature he is doing it at? I plan on trying it for my next motor to see if i can squeeze more life out of it. I plan on doing the rod, piston, sleeve and crank.
you must be careful as cryoing items with more than 1 material integrated usually creates problems .
Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I thought that ceramic coatings inside the engine were illegal for racing.

In ROAR rules, but not club racing
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote